Gransnet forums

Pets

Old Cat

(29 Posts)
newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 14:16:18

My cat is over 17 years old. He went to vet in Oct to have flu jab. He had check up with blood test and vet said he was fine. I told vet he is sleeping a lot more now and vet said as cats get older they do sleep a lot more until eventually they die. He has been sleeping more but he seems happy and contented. He is still purring when stroked. He is still able to go in and out cat flap for toilet. He is not eating much anymore but is still able to eat and sniffs food and eats a bit. Over last week he seems to have slept most of time and eating even less. He has got very thin and he has always been such lively and greedy cat. He is my sons cat but we are all very fond of him. My son is adult now and knows cat is sleeping most of time but should warn him cat might not last much longer. I know he would be very upset. He thinks cat will perk up in again in summer as he likes lying in garden in sun. Have any of you had experience of older cat and how long after sleeping most of time and not eating much he might last?

Synonymous Wed 18-Apr-18 14:35:40

He is a good age newnanny and most of our cats have just faded away between 16 and 19. I think you need to be prepared and let your son know that he may be fading gently away and then just count every day that he is with you as a bonus. He may last a good while yet so if he is content and not suffering just enjoy him.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Apr-18 14:42:14

Yes my cat went the same way she was not as old as yours about 14 but she started eating less and less and sleeping more and more she was getting very thin and her fur went from sleek black to brown I took her to the vet and he said the kindest thing would be to euthanise I held her and honestly the needle had barely gone in and she was gone she was that weak
I m sure your cat is happy but cats can purr when stressed
Your cat is about 118 in human years so is at the end I would imagine Wish we could just fade away or be helped on our way like a cat can

Grandma70s Wed 18-Apr-18 14:44:23

I have had two very old cats who lived to be 19. My cousin had one that lived to 21.

Both of mine had to be put down by the vet in the end. One of them should have been put down months earlier, but I had not realised how ill he was. He was very slow, slept a lot, still ate but not much. He was a long-haired cat and had never liked being groomed, but it became impossible and his fur grew matted.

I took him to the vet who found he had a large tumour. I hadn’t realised, and feel guilty to this day that I allowed him to suffer. Take him back to the vet - October is six months ago and things might have changed.

newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 16:57:51

I will talk to my son about taking him back to the vet. He still grooms himself and his fur is not matted at all, he seems content. I just know how much he detest and gets so stressed when he has to go into the pet carrier and I was trying to spare him that.

Synonymous Wed 18-Apr-18 17:46:24

The vet popped in on her way home so that my pusscat didn't need to be stressed by travelling. She said that it wouldn't be long so I decided that it was time to do the deed and it was done there and then and very quick.

newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 18:12:46

I will be talking to my son this evening.

seacliff Wed 18-Apr-18 19:27:59

We have had many cats over the years. We now have 5 of our own and 2 foster cats. We lost most of our cats at about 14 or 15. We had them put to sleep when they had become too ill to enjoy life, and so that they didn't suffer too much. We always hoped they'd go in their sleep, but it didn't happen. I think it's the last kindness you can do for your much loved pet, they hate it when they have no control over their bladder, or similar problems. We did have the vet to the house for one, as he hated travelling.

But your cat may go on a good few years yet. He will be more sleepy as he ages, but if he is still eating, drinking and going to the loo normally, he s probably quite happy. He will hopefully enjoy snoozing in the sunshine.

Just watch out if he starts drinking lots of water, or stops grooming. You could give him a treat of tinned tuna, they often love that. Also if you warm the food a little in the microwave (stir it so no hot spots) that sometimes tempts them to eat.

seacliff Wed 18-Apr-18 19:29:09

Synonymous - sorry to hear that. It's always such a hard thing to decide when to act.

Synonymous Thu 19-Apr-18 12:48:16

Our last pusscat was 18 and she had a very happy life. We knew it was time when even sleeping up against the warming oven door of the Aga was not enough for her to keep warm but more than anything it was the smell of urine on her fur. Her kidneys were no longer working so she coukdn't pass anything. She was very happy in herself, very loving as always but ..... sad
You never forget them though and I can still 'see' her running straight up the huge tree we had in the garden. smile It took us a while but we now have Smokey who is a real character and has such life and energy and I just love him to bits. He knows what a beautiful boy he is and the effect on me of those big eyes which he uses to such effect with those melting looks. He follows me everywhere and if I go out of the room and he can't follow DH says he cries pathetically - the cat that is! grin DH says it is really pathetic but I think it is sweet. Life does go on and the memories are forever.

Willow500 Thu 19-Apr-18 13:43:19

If he is losing weight it could be his thyroid or kidneys. Thyroid is treatable so I would suggest having a blood test if possible to make sure it is just old age. As an older cat he could have the medication which does work. If he's still grooming that's good even if he's not eating much.

I've had several old age cats - the oldest was 23 when she had a sudden stroke and we had to say goodbye. Her mother was 18 when she died and her son 17 when he developed kidney failure.

It's very sad when they reach a good age as it means they've usually been in your life for all that time so hard to lose them.

seacliff Thu 19-Apr-18 13:49:03

One of my cats had thyroid problems, he was on meds for a couple of years. I think thyroid problems means they eat a lot but still get skinny. Poor boy hated the regular blood tests, got so upset and distraught.

MargaretX Thu 19-Apr-18 16:06:14

I'm sorry to hear that but my old tom also died at 18 after a short but awful last three months. Looking back it was the vet that caused the pain after carrying out a operation on his upper gums.
It is all now 3 years on but we are too old to have another cat and it hurts.

Be brave and don't extend any suffering.

seacliff Thu 19-Apr-18 16:19:28

Yes some, not all, vets keep suggesting treatments and tests, some of which we've gone for in the past.

Now, if the cat is a good age, I think it's kinder for them not to put them though all that. You may get another year or so, but I don't think it's always best for them.

Synonymous Fri 20-Apr-18 00:58:13

Margaret it really does hurt doesn't it. We also thought we were too old to start again but with many misgivings we took on a 4 month old kitten, well there were two brothers originally but we returned 'bully boy' to the cat charity and kept the quiet, timid one. He has blossomed on his own and is an absolute joy and we wouldn't be without him even though it has been a challenge to keep up with him at our age. In hindsight it might have been more sensible to take on a young adult cat but we wouldn't change him now! He is such a little character and very determined and even seems to have his own timepiece as he knows our routine so well, are we really so predictable?! blush hmm
Just because vets can do operations and treatments doesn't mean that they should or that it is either kind or sensible when the animal is so old anyway.

BBbevan Fri 20-Apr-18 04:24:03

We to had a very old cat. She was 25 when she died. Like your cat in her last few months she became very thin and often could not be tempted to eat her favourite food. It was only a matter of a few weeks until she died. She weighed practically nothing, but apart from not eating still did her usual things. Sadly the vet found a growth on her liver and we had her put to sleep. She was a lovely rescue cat which we had had from a tiny kitten.
It sounds as if your dear cat is coming to the end of his life. It is very sad but from the tone of your post he has had a very happy loving home

newnanny Fri 20-Apr-18 09:41:42

He had a good day yesterday. He went out and lay in the garden sunning himself. He was there almost 4 hours. My son went to get him some tuna steak as Seacliff suggested and he ate a reasonable amount. My son wants to see if feeding him tuna as suggested by Seacliff will encourage him to eat more and as the weather is forecast for warmer weather he wants to see if he still enjoys sunning himself. Yesterday he was stroking him in sunshine and the cat was purring and pushing his head into my sons hand. My son has agreed if he shows any signs of distress or stops eating he will take him to be put down but wants him to have a chance first. We agreed to take each week at a time but my son knows he may not have much longer with him. There is a general gloom over the house.

BBbevan Fri 20-Apr-18 12:51:26

Your cat has had a wonderful life by the sound of it. You have done everything you can for him. You will all be terribly sad when he goes. But will have many, many happy memories I am sure

LynneB59 Sat 21-Apr-18 09:18:35

The eldest of my cats was the same - but she had been on medication for an overactive thyroid and kidney failure.

Up to 10 days ago, she was going on OK, then she started sleeping longer, and lying down under my bed most of the time. A day or 2 later, her breathing was laboured (I noticed her little body moving in and out very quickly as she breathed).

Over the next day, she went off her food, and even milk didn't interest her. By then, her breathing was crackly-sounding (fluid in the lungs), so I had her put to sleep last Sunday. She was 18, and she'd had a lovely, pampered life.

Please don't wait until your cat just dies - do the right thing by him and have him put to sleep (you'll know when that is). All the best.

newnanny Sat 21-Apr-18 15:07:43

Stripey had a bad day yesterday. He did not eat in the morning and in the afternoon I think he had a little stroke or seizure and he could not stand up afterwards. My son took him straight to the vets but they said there was nothing they could do so sadly he had him put down. I felt it had to be my sons decision because Stripey was his cat he had him when he was 7 years old. We are just glad he had one last day sunning himself and feasted on tuna steak in Thursday. We buried him in garden yesterday evening. Thank you everyone for your support. It has been such a difficult time and he has been with us most of my sons life. He did have a lovely life though with a huge garden to run around and sun himself in and my son has always made such a fuss of him. This is the first time he has ever been unwell.

HAZBEEN Sat 21-Apr-18 15:18:54

I am so sorry newnanny. My thoughts are with both you and your son. My first cat was 20 when he died in my arms after a very short illness. We had had him since my daughter was 3 years old and he was her special friend when I was going through a horrendous divorce from her father. I think that cat knew more about her life and secrets than I did! She was away at university when it happened but came straight home that day.

seacliff Sat 21-Apr-18 17:13:11

Oh sorry to hear about poor Stripey. flowers

I'm so glad for you and your son that he had a lovely day before, and that your son was there too. You both know you've done the very best for him and he's obviously had a lovely life with you. You will both miss him, as he's been part of the family for a long time.

Willow500 Sat 21-Apr-18 20:06:58

So sorry - it's so sad when the time comes to say goodbye but it sounds like he had a good life and his last days were full of love and pampering. flowers

BBbevan Sat 21-Apr-18 20:35:33

So sorry. You will all miss him a lot

BlueBelle Sat 21-Apr-18 21:04:21

Sorry to hear this newnanny but it was the only answer I think cats, well all animals, know when they ve had enough he didn’t know it was his last day but he went with love ?