Gransnet forums

Pets

Ear Muffs for dogs!

(12 Posts)
DanniRae Fri 10-Aug-18 14:44:32

My dog is terrified of thunder and fireworks. We are unable to console her and the state that she gets in is pitiful. I know that ear muffs for dogs exist I just wandered if any one had found them successful? And if so where did they get them from? Thank you.
(This is a genuine question)

midgey Fri 10-Aug-18 14:49:53

The vet prescribed my dog diazepam. Nothing else has helped, we tried using the firework cd but the dog knows the difference between real ones and the cd! I have never heard of dog ear plugs.

OldMeg Fri 10-Aug-18 14:52:27

My rescue dog is terrified too...thunder, lightening, fireworks, loud bangs.

I’d be interested to know if someone has a solution. Tried pheromones, dens, tranquillisers, nothing helps.

FlexibleFriend Fri 10-Aug-18 15:31:04

None of mine are bothered but generally on dog forums they recommend thundershirts.

OldMeg Fri 10-Aug-18 15:48:52

I’ve seen those advertised and with mixed reviews FF - can’t see how they’d work myself ????

OldMeg Fri 10-Aug-18 15:50:18

Blimey, it’s just started thundering now ⚡️

FlexibleFriend Fri 10-Aug-18 16:03:33

spooky

DanniRae Fri 10-Aug-18 16:33:13

We had had that thunder storm OldMeg that is what prompted me to look into ear muffs!
The sky is very dark again so I am hoping that it's not on it's way back.
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.

I am in South East London by the way.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Aug-18 17:05:00

Turn the radio or tv up high

AnnS1 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:20:59

Not sure what size of dog you have but I have kids padded headphones for my scared dog. They do deaden the sound a bit. You could try a pair of basic ones to see if they are kept on. Scullcap and valerian good if given early enough.

MiniMoon Fri 10-Aug-18 19:43:01

Nothing worked for my dog either. I just had to hold her tight to keep her calm. Once when walking in the woods, a local farmer's bird scarer went off. My dog bolted! I found her waiting for me at the gate beside the road near our home.

Matisha Sat 11-Aug-18 09:23:31

nice idea!