Gransnet forums

Pets

Lola

(22 Posts)
blondenana Wed 14-Aug-19 11:27:03

I had to have my lovely little dog put to sleep yesterday,
I got her about 4 years ago,told by former owners she was 3 years old, vet said more like 9 or 10, but it didn't matter i loved her from the start,and she was fine with my cats
She was diagnosed with Dementia, and possibly vestibular disease about 8 months ago
She suddenly went downhill a couple of days ago, despite being on medication,
Overnight on tuesday she seemed to be in pain, pressing her head against the wall or standing with her head in corners , and wandering aimlessly about, staring into space.so had no choice ,as much as it upset me to take her to be put to sleep,
She went peacefully ,and took a piece of my heart with her
Here is a pic with one of my cats

phoenix Wed 14-Aug-19 11:40:32

So sorry that you have lost your little dog, sending kind thoughts.

DanniRae Wed 14-Aug-19 11:44:31

So sad for you blondenana. It's a terrible decision to make, I know that. I am sure you made her last few years very happy flowers

RosieLeah Wed 14-Aug-19 11:45:54

I'm so sorry. I know just how heart-broken you feel. I've been through it so many times myself.

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 11:50:23

Oh what a lovely little lady, blondenana.

How heartbreaking it is when they have to leave us. I've had dogs all my life. And as they age/ail you know the day is coming and it's horrendous.

They give you wonderful memories and are so worth all the heartache at the end.

If only they had longer life spans.

humptydumpty Wed 14-Aug-19 12:04:43

made me cry blondenana, you did the kindest and most painful (for you) thing, love to the end

Fennel Wed 14-Aug-19 12:13:15

Such a sweet little dog.
I know how you feel - I had to make the same decision 18 months ago.
Our border collie was 15, and had dementia, spent the nights barking at nothing, and wandering round during the day.
She was such a good friend.

SalsaQueen Wed 14-Aug-19 12:29:30

Sorry for your loss. We become attached to our pets, don't we? They are members of our family. You say she was pressing her head against the wall, which is always a worrying sign. You did the right thing, and she was suffering.

I had my elderly cat put to sleep 18 months ago (she was 18) after things all got too much for her. It's the kindest thing.

My little Stella

Septimia Wed 14-Aug-19 12:38:57

It's always sad when we lose a pet. Somehow they always worm their way into our hearts.

Be thankful that lovely Lola spent her last years happily with someone who really loved her and cared for enough not to let her suffer. Her previous owners might not have been so loving.

We feel that way about one of our cats. He had a pretty rough time for a while before he came to us, as well as various medical problems. He's made it to 12 and seems to be really happy, so if he gets poorly now at least he's been content for a few years.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:45:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:46:20

blondenana flowers

EllanVannin Wed 14-Aug-19 12:51:02

____so upset for you. A beautiful girl. Bless her.

Mapleleaf Wed 14-Aug-19 13:00:11

? Very sad for you. I'm sure your memories of your lovely little dog will comfort you in the coming days.

Ellianne Wed 14-Aug-19 13:41:07

Sorry for your loss. She looks so sweet, she will always have a place in your heart.

Scribbles Wed 14-Aug-19 13:52:09

My sympathies to you.?

downtoearth Wed 14-Aug-19 13:53:16

She looks such a kind little girl,have been through this myself and u derstand how you feel,big hugs for you,flowers

glammanana Wed 14-Aug-19 14:01:54

blondnana How very sad you have certainly done the best thing for your little girl but that doesn't make the pain any better,I have been through this so many times and remember everyone of my friends with affection.flowers

sodapop Wed 14-Aug-19 15:02:42

So sorry blondenana what a lovely girl she looks. Its hard isn't it even when you know you are doing the right thing. She had four years of love and care with you so she was happy then.
thanks

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Aug-19 15:12:50

That was the kindest thing you could do for your little girl. The cat will miss her also.

She knew she was loved and cared for in the short time you looked after her.

Flaxseed Wed 14-Aug-19 16:46:18

Rest in peace dear Lola. Run free with all the other pets who have made their way over the rainbow bridge

MacCavity2 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:47:33

Oh blondenana what a gorgeous little girl, how very sad. It’s the worst thing possible when we loose our pets. I’m sure you gave her a wonderful life with your beautiful rag dolls. Think of the happy times with her X.

blondenana Wed 14-Aug-19 17:24:29

Thank you all so much for your kind words. which made me cry all over again, but in the nicest way with your messages
I know most of you will have gone through the same so will understand
I am also pleased that she had a happy life. she was a little diva at times, but so lovable,
A few weeks ago she seemed to not bother barking when the door went and seemed not too bothered about playing with her ball, but she went for a little walk, usually, if she didn't want to go she would just refuse to move
As for her former owners,it is their loss, my gain
Thanks again