Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog going to groomer

(24 Posts)
Gingster Sat 21-Mar-20 18:57:26

My little cockerpoo desperately needs to go to the groomer. Her last appointment was cancelled as groomer was ill. Surely it’s ok to take her nex t week? I can drop her by the door and collect her the same. Don’t need to go in. Not an important decision in the present scheme of things - just wondering what you think?

ValerieF Fri 27-Mar-20 17:58:25

Why not ask your groomer Gingster? Mine works from her own adapted garage so is able to take dogs if popped inside gate. If your groomer has a shop it may not be possible. Maybe ask around to see if anyone else has the same set up?
If not, get the scissors out lol. Good luck

SalsaQueen Fri 27-Mar-20 18:36:08

Could you perhaps buy some clippers and do your dog yourself? Places like Amazon will have them.

Gingster Fri 27-Mar-20 18:46:55

I e just received the clippers from amazon but I’m very cagey about using them . I don’t want to hurt her . It clippers have got a guard on them to avoid cutting too short, so I’ll try to be brave tomorrow and gave a go. ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:47:09

We are going to do our own. We have a stripper comb and scissors. I’m sure he’ll end up looking weird but no more than me or DH?

Quercus Fri 27-Mar-20 18:49:45

Since when has getting a dog groomed been an essential journey? STAY AT HOME!

MamaCaz Fri 27-Mar-20 18:54:52

Possible scenario:
Groomer is starting with virus, but doesn't yet realize, sneezes in the dog's direction at the end of grooming, then you pet the dog as soon as she is returned to you, and you have the virus on your hands ...

Or reverse that, with the dog arriving at the groomers carrying the virus on her fur.

Nana49 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:59:56

I run a grooming salon and would say its is a definite no no, all groomers will be shut anyway due to the business being a non essential service, ours is and all the ones I know of are too, its just too risky.
I would try to use the clippers with online help from youtube, there will be some good guidance on there, and make sure someone else is holding your dog too, or giving her treats whilst you are clipping, use a comb between the skin and scissors if you decide to do some cutting. And don't worry about what your dog looks like honestly people will understand that you are trying to make her more comfortable
Oh my there are going to be some badly cut dogs to trim when this is over! good luck

Nana49 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:03:07

And use ANDIS or WAHL clippers they are a bit more expensive than most but will do they job better - use a short blade if you can as well, rather than an 'added' blade on top of the short one, they never work well, oh and comb through your dog if you can before clipping or the blade won't go through unless you are clipping very short (I would advise this as it'll get rid of any knots) use youtube as a guide -

B9exchange Fri 27-Mar-20 19:06:17

Would these work on DH? [grin[

Kalu Fri 27-Mar-20 19:06:49

Our last dog was a Lhassa. He hated going to a groomer so I decided to have a go myself. I started off grabbing a handful of coat and chopping approx 1” off the top with hairdressing scissors and continued like so until I had tidied him up all over, tail and face necessary trim.

He loved it, would have let me work on him all afternoon if I had wanted as he enjoyed the pampering and attention. Not a
tickety boo look but a definite improvement. ?

Possibly something you could maybe try until you can go back to your groomer for a more professional look.

Mandyqks Wed 02-Sep-20 18:38:18

Yes that's exactly what I did. I can set up an area that looks much like a professional groomers in ten minutes. I even have one of those things to hold the dog in place so I don't need 4 hands. Yeah, OK, they had a true Covid-cut the first time but even "old dogs" like me, it seems can learn "new tricks" and even with physical challenges I can groom our two.... With a little help from YouTube?

Spice101 Fri 04-Sep-20 05:14:31

As long as you lie the clippers more or less flat along the dog as opposed to at say 90 degrees you will not cut or hurt the dog. The dog may not like it and protest but it is not likely to be hurt. You do need to comb out any knots first.

Kooper Wed 27-Jan-21 16:23:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Jan-21 16:25:24

Our groomers sent a message out to say that on the advice of their governing body only cases of extreme matting causing pain to the animal would be dealt with at this time. All else would not be undertaken at this time.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:26:41

If the clippers are anything at all like the ones we had for our wire-haired terrier when I was a child you cannot cut or even nick the dog by mistake.

Give it a try - the dog might end up a little ragged, but will probably look wonderful once you have clipped her.

My mother's first try ended with her saying that she did not know why she had paid for ages to have the dog clipped.

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:38:38

We clipped our toy poodle at the weekend having done so once during the last lock down and are very pleased with the result.

Decided our cockapoo didn't need clipping but we did need to trim the fur in her face, around her eyes and under her chin. As long as you brush your dog at least once a week thoroughly, there shouldn't be any matting.

We bought our clippers from Amazon Gingster and providing you brush the coat well, removing any knots and use the clippers as directed, you wont hurt your dog.

Hope it goes wellsmile.

Jane43 Tue 09-Mar-21 18:56:53

We have an appointment next Tuesday and Teddy is looking very unkempt so we will be glad to have him groomed. Our groomer did tell us that although there were restrictions if we were desperate to have him groomed she could have done it on health grounds but we managed without having him done. It’s not just the clipping for us, she baths him, does his nails if needed and checks his ears. He always smells gorgeous too, she loves him and vice versa so it’s all good

Katek Tue 09-Mar-21 19:32:38

Groomers can still open as they are classed as an essential service on welfare grounds. I’m not talking about cosmetic grooming, but some breeds would be extremely tangled, tuggy and uncomfortable if not clipped regularly.

Iam64 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:18:57

As Kate’s says, groomers are open, they’re an essential service on welfare grounds.
Breeds like poodles, poodle crosses, show type spaniels need 6-8 weekly grooms. Their fur knots and matts easily and this can be uncomfortable until groomed. Grooming dogs with matted coats is time consuming, often painful, dogs get distressed.
Poodle coats she’d back into the dogs coat. If not groomed properly, the need shaving, same with some poodle crosses and spaniels.
My cocker spaniel is brushed and combed by me daily, it reduces mats and knots but they do happen. She’s groomed professionally 7 weekly

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:20:07

Ours has just been groomed, all very well organised. He can see properly again now.

I wouldn't attempt it myself.

Iam64 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:28:58

I did a days training when my spaniel arrived. Great trainer at a local groomers. It convinced me I don’t have the skills needed to give my beautiful show type a good groom. It did help me understand how to keep on top of the coat between grooms.

Casdon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:34:20

I’ve got a cocker as well, I took him to the groomers last Friday. She has a system where you put your dog in a cage in a room which is attached by an internal door to her grooming room, and leave your payment on top. She grooms the dog, puts it back in the cage and you pick your dog up from there. So no human contact - he was very happy to be done, he loves the groomer.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 20:34:57

I dont think I ever took my cocker spaniel to the groomer's (oh dear).

He got a swill down outside and a good brush.
Our small terrier got put in the bath, shampooed and showered with a gentle blow dry afterwards which he hated, he used to bare his teeth and I told him not to be so daft.

I know cockapoos do need regular trims and grooming,.