Gransnet forums

Pets

Upset tum

(19 Posts)
Buffybee Sun 05-Apr-20 08:49:48

Hello! I hope someone can advise, I have a 3 month old puppy, who I have had for 5 weeks now.
She had diarrhoea yesterday which I thought might have cleared up by today but this morning when I took her into the garden, it was watery and worse than yesterday.
There is one thing! On Friday evening, I was eating a satsuma and dropped a section, which she ate. I'm thinking maybe this could be the problem.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Missfoodlove Sun 05-Apr-20 08:54:08

Just feed her plain boiled rice or pasta for 36 hours.
Puppies will always pick things up, it cannot be helped.
Just keep her hydrated and away from any food other than rice/pasta.

EllanVannin Sun 05-Apr-20 08:55:21

Puppies will eat anything as we all know. Something out of the garden too ? Plants ? Leaves ?

Water only and let the " irritation " whatever it is, take its course ,so no food until its bowels have settled.

SueH49 Sun 05-Apr-20 08:56:14

If you can get slippery elm powder mix 1 teaspoon with about half a cup of water and pour it over plain boiled rice and chicken. You may need to do this a couple of times and unless there is any underlying issue it should clear up.

gmarie Sun 05-Apr-20 09:04:06

In addition to the diet posted by others please also call your vet for advice as puppies can get parvovirus which can be serious.

MawB Sun 05-Apr-20 09:07:37

Buffybee has she had all her jabs? Did she come from a reputable breeder or a puppy farm?
If you cannot answer yes to the first two, see a vet urgently. I would seek a telephone consultation even if she has had her jabs . A bit of satsuma is unlikely to be responsible.

FlexibleFriend Sun 05-Apr-20 09:52:45

3 months old and has the squits take them to the vets as they can go downhill rapidly.

Curlywhirly Sun 05-Apr-20 10:46:01

I agree, only 3 months old, I would definitely ring the vet - a slice of satsuma is unlikely to be the cause.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:34:49

Certainly consult your vet.

Has she any other symptoms? Warm dry nose? Runny eyes?

Has she been wormed?

Haven't had a dog for years, so no longer sure when they are inoculated against distemper.

sodapop Sun 05-Apr-20 12:39:59

I agree with Maw for such a young puppy this could be serious. I don't think it was the orange either. Contact your vet as soon as you can.

Buffybee Sun 05-Apr-20 14:27:13

Thank you for your replies. She has had both of her jabs and has been flead and wormed by a vet.
She came from a lovely lady who has bred Cavalier King Charles for over 40 years and diversified into Cavapoo's. Born in her kitchen and Mother and two other Cavaliers were there.
Her daughter arrived on one of my visits with her Cavapoo from a previous litter.
So, I am sure not from a puppy farm, which I am very careful about.
She's not poorly and is charging about the garden as usual. I have to say the diarrhoea is not constant, just at her normal times.
Yesterday morning, yesterday evening and this morning. I haven't fed her since 5 yesterday and she hasn't done anymore after this morning.
If she had uncontrollable runs, I would be ringing the emergency vets. I'll see how she is after the 24 hour starvation and feed her white rice and chicken.
She is a nibbled of sticks but just shreds them but I have seen her eat a couple of apple blossoms from my tree.
I'll let you know how she goes on.

FlexibleFriend Sun 05-Apr-20 15:19:37

Just feed her natural yoghurt until the dire rear settles down.

Buffybee Sun 05-Apr-20 15:32:36

Oh! Good idea Flexible Friend, I'll try the rice/chicken if she's ok with the Natural Yogurt.
As I said, she's not poorly, still as lively as ever and I have had dogs for 50years but my old girl is sixteen and a half, so haven't had a pup for a while.
Where can I get slippery elm SueH49, chemist or health stop?

3nanny6 Sun 05-Apr-20 16:41:51

Buffybee has your puppy had her innoculations and started getting walked etc? Has she had any change of food? (not the bit of satsuma)

Try some small portions of boiled rice and chicken. and do not feed anything else. Keep a supply of fresh water down as well.

Most of the vets are semi-closed so it would probably have to be the emergency vet. Do not let it continue for much longer if she does not improve or she could become dehydrated. If I was you would not give slippery elm as you could upset her further.

Buffybee Sun 05-Apr-20 17:39:06

Hi 3nanny6, yes she had her innoculations at 9 weeks and 11 weeks and has been fine since. She’s 14 weeks tomorrow!
The only other thing I can think of is that she might have pinched a bit of dental chew off my old dog.
She has her own, age appropriate chews which they get at 9 in the evening, to clean teeth.
I do keep them separate for meals and treats but the older one is over 16 and nearly blind, so if she missed a bit, Madam would definitely have found it.
That could be it actually, as the treats are the same colour almost as my kitchen floor.
She’s not eaten since 5 yesterday and not done ‘anything’ since this morning and has been as lively as usual.
My daughter had just left a cup of white rice on my window sill as I don’t eat it and I’m boiling it up with a chicken breast.
I’ll try her on a small amount of this and see how it goes.
Otherwise, I will contact our vet tomorrow morning.
Here she is! And sleeping with her big sister....

3nanny6 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:56:07

They do look cute having a nice snooze together, quite right in this warm weather.

It could be the dental treat if she found a bit, on the odd occasion I have given my dogs a different type of treat and it has made one of them have a runny tum although not for longer than a night.
It's a good things seem to be clearing up hopefully she is on the mend.

sodapop Sun 05-Apr-20 19:22:39

Gorgeous little girl Buffybee

Curlywhirly Sun 05-Apr-20 19:30:50

Oh, Buffybee they are both gorgeous! I think the fact that she has been fine for a few hours and is very lively, indicates that she is not very poorly. As you say, she how she is tomorrow morning.

Buffybee Mon 06-Apr-20 08:43:02

All back to normal this morning!
Thanks for all your help, I'm keeping her on the Chicken a Rice for today, just to make sure.
She is gorgeous sodapop and Curlywhirly* and the easiest pup I have ever had, she's 'almost' housetrained, (the odd little excitement wee), she sits, stays and comes charging back when I call her name.
I let her off the lead last week to play with two young Jack Russells and even with all the excitement, she flew back to me when I called.
Clever little thing and so adorable.