Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat Haters.

(43 Posts)
annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 16:45:27

My D has 3 cats, alright some people hate them but even so.
One has been missing all day, it is out of character for her, for the first 3 years she was an indoor cat living in a flat until my D adopted her, she still uses a litter tray indoors and seldom goes out for long.

The neighbours on one side are very hostile about them and make lots of loud comments in the garden, my D heard them ask their gardener to put either he barbed wire or spikes all along the fence, he refused.
Their garage door is closed and so my D has been round 3 times now to ask them if they will look if she is inside.
They will not answer the door.
My D knows they are in, both cars on the drive and patio doors open.
Not exactly neighbourly I think.

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Sep-20 16:47:23

What horrible neighbours!

Bluebellwould Mon 21-Sep-20 16:52:14

Call the rspca to come and have a look.

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Sep-20 16:54:11

Not neighbourly at all. But surely they wouldn't kill the cat? Hopefully, she's just finding her feet and gone off on a bit of an adventure and will be back soon.

annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 17:28:34

My D has just texted, she put a note through her neighbours door and she did go and check the garage but no cat.?

B9exchange Mon 21-Sep-20 17:34:54

We have house cats, and get frantic if they get out, as they have no sense and we caught one of them just about to walk out under an approaching car, so I know exactly how your DD must be feeling. At least she knows now it isn't shut in the garage. Our neighbourhood website has missing cats all the time, and they seem to return with in three days, but it is a horrible worry. We are all going to be on tenterhooks waiting for news, do keep us posted?

BlueBelle Mon 21-Sep-20 17:52:40

I don’t hate cats I ve had my share in the past I don’t dislike them but very much dislike them pooing in my garden and digging up my plants and I don’t see anything wrong with putting some kind of protection along the fence top although barbed wire isn’t allowed and cats will just daintily step between any spikes
I hope your cat returns and has just been exploring Cats contrary to belief don’t actually have a very large area they wander around and call their own

nanasam Mon 21-Sep-20 18:00:46

I had sibling cats, the female tried every trick to escape, which she finally succeeded only to be run over the first time she crossed the road. Her brother, on the other hand, CBA to jump any higher than his own worktop for food and has never attempted to leave the garden. You can never tell what kind of cat you get and good luck to those who have an escape artiste!

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 18:01:44

Has she run up a tree and got stuck?
One of our family's cats did that; we think something frightened him.

I'm not that keen on cats but what's wrong with these people that they refuse to let her look? I hope the cat comes home soon.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Sep-20 18:40:32

They did let her look callistermon

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 19:49:39

Oh dear, I should rtt!.

I hope the cat comes home safe and sound.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Sep-20 20:04:09

That's horrendous.
But please don't contact the RSPCA.
They are absolutely, completely, utterly useless. And a bottomless money pit.
Every one who has a good word to say about them has never had to deal with them.

phoenix Mon 21-Sep-20 20:04:43

annsixty I do hope your daughters cat comes home safe and sound.

annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 20:35:54

So do I.
They are all so worried for her safety.
Silly really she is only a cat but a much loved one.
My D had two of her kittens and then took her 2 years later when she needed rehoming.
The other two have gone very quiet and looking for her, the dog isn’t very worried.

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Sep-20 20:44:54

Tell your D to contact the RSPCA and/or the police annsixty.

I hope your D gets some good news soon.

annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 20:47:13

She has rung the vet as she is chipped but no news from them.
Thank you all for your concern.

Sallywally1 Mon 21-Sep-20 20:56:56

I thought my cat was missing the other day, did not come in for supper, stayed out all night and only reappeared the next morning wailing for food (sounds like a teenager). He is not allowed out in the street, but seems to think it is a Wonderful adventure if he makes it out of the front. Much safer in the garden. The road is very busy with speeding cars.

However as I said he reappeared, but I thought he had been run over which would be so sad, he is a character in our street. The house did seem empty whilst he was gone, they do become part of the family. He is never ‘just a cat’. It was the same when my golden retriever had to be put down. We were in pieces.

Fingers crossed your daughter’s cat will come home.

sodapop Mon 21-Sep-20 21:16:20

One of my daughter's cats used to disappear so they put a tracker on her, she used to walk down a main road and into town.

Hope the cat turns up safe and sound annsixty

LadyBella Mon 21-Sep-20 21:21:06

We had a cat and my neighbour complained it was digging up their seeds. I told my neighbour to squirt the cat with water. He did and the cat stopped going into their garden. Water is a great, safe deterrent if someone really doesn't like them.

kircubbin2000 Mon 21-Sep-20 21:49:14

When I found a wounded hedgehog I took it to the Rspca.They sprayed fly killer straight into the wound to kill maggots! How cruel.

Marelli Mon 21-Sep-20 22:56:25

Annsixty, suggest to your daughter that she puts out, near the back door, the missing cat's (used) litter tray? Also, if it's possible, drape some of the family's clothes on the hedge or fence in the back garden. Something that has been worn, or taken out of the laundry basket. Fingers crossed she comes home safely.

Gummie Tue 22-Sep-20 06:31:45

Hope kitty comes home soon.

What truly horrible neighbours you have.

shysal Tue 22-Sep-20 07:38:34

I hope the cat comes home soon. Hopefully her experience will be the same as mine. The same day that I put up posters around the village my Saffron, and later Sugababe, strolled back home.

NfkDumpling Tue 22-Sep-20 08:02:10

We had brother and sister cats. The girl used to vanish off once or twice a year on an adventure, strolling back in two or three days later looking smug and hungry. Hopefully its a lady cat thing and she'll turn up on her own soon.

Like nanasam's siblings, the boy couldn't be bothered to leave the garden, although he did join us on a dog walk occasionally for the first hundred yards and then sit to wait our return. Our neighbour who had an immaculate veg plot, hated him with a vengeance as small hollows and mound would appear in his seed beds, but accepted him when we started to hang the dead rats and occasional mole Fred had caught along the fence!

Furret Tue 22-Sep-20 08:05:11

This is the reason I will never again have cats. It’s just too heartbreaking when they go missing.