Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat disappears for days at a time.

(28 Posts)
Gill33 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:45:29

My daughter has a lovely friendly cat who is 18 months old. She started to disappear for days at a time and we didn’t know where she was going. She had a litter of kittens in May and stayed home all the time with them and didn’t stray at all. My daughter decided to keep two of the kittens and started to let them out in her garden with the Mum.
All was well for a few weeks and then one evening she and the two kittens didn’t come home.
The next day I went over and decided to visit some of the house and show them a photo of the Mum. The houses back onto her garden and I showed them a photo of Mum and some details. Most people I spoke to said that they had seen the Mum occasionally but not the two kittens.

After a while I went back to my daughter’s house and within an hour had a phone all to say they’d all been seen on a neighbours conservatory roof.
We went round and the man in that house got a ladder to get them down. He then said they often come round as he thought the Mum was a stray. Mum is in beautiful condition and doesn’t look like a stray at all. He gave us his phone number in case we needed to contact him again.
It transpires that Mum has been going round there and that’s why she kept disappearing and now has decided to take the kittens too.
Mum still keeps going there and doesn’t come back for days and he rings to say he’s got her and that she comes in through his open windows or doors. My daughter asked if they feed her to which a vague answer was ‘Well my son may have’. She asked him not to feed her and could he put her out early evening to come home.
She is still going round there and is obviously being fed as she never returns hungry.
I’m not sure if there’s anything we can do about this situation as you can’t really stop a cat from wandering. She has nice life at home. My daughter isn’t out all day so it’s not as though she wants the company.
The man is very vague at times about this cat but my daughter just would like her back home especially at night. Any suggestions please?

Jane10 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:56:24

It's very hard to stop a cat wandering if it wants to. DD is visited by a large Bengal cat. Her own cat just seems to let it eat his food and wander about the house at will. DD even found it relaxing on the upstairs landing in the middle of the night. For all we know it could be in the house all night. If they lock the cat flap he batters it and almost rips it open. They've made contact with the owner by posting a photo in a local Facebook page. She was apologetic but doesn't know what to do. DD is a real cat lover and would hate to be mean to this cheeky visitor but has just accepted that he's a part time part of the family now and at least he doesn't hurt her own cat which he easily could. Cats eh?!

B9exchange Sun 11-Oct-20 14:00:12

I'm not sure what you can do except perhaps provide a really tasty treat whenever the cat does show up at night in the hope it will remember and come looking for it. Cats will decide who they want to live with.

Ours are completely dim and would disappear under the nearest oncoming car, so they stay in. They try to be escape artists, but are used to it now, and on the rare occasions they do get out, don't know where to go and can be enticed back in again.

midgey Sun 11-Oct-20 14:28:17

Has the cat now been neutered? That helps enormously.

Chewbacca Sun 11-Oct-20 14:31:55

Cats, unlike dogs, have no loyalty to their humans whatsoever. They're totally prepared to pack up and go somewhere else, without a backward glance, if they see something/somewhere that they like better. I've provided feline utopia for all of mine and, for the most part they've stayed with me but one, in particular, just upped and left and decided that the house a few doors down was a better option. I tried hauling her back, keeping her in, giving her treats when she did come in and even paid ££s for a Feliway plug in from the vets to make her feel calm and secure at home. All to no avail; she divorced me! Out of over 30+ cats, over the years, she was the only one who buggered off. I have found over the years that femail cats are less affectionate and loyal than tom cats.

vampirequeen Sun 11-Oct-20 14:53:16

Humans don't own cats. Cats choose where they will live and who will serve them.

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:59:31

Same question as Midgey- not only will it help, but more importantly, it would ensure that it does not allow the infernal vicious circle of more and ore unwanted and stray kittens.

One non neutered cat can lead to 100s of 1000s of more cats in a lifetime sad

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 15:03:07

images.app.goo.gl/deA5dcwoseiraYKJ6

Gill33 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:21:11

Thanks for all your messages. I really didn’t think there was any solution but thanks for reading anyway.
We wanted one litter of kittens and my daughter has kept two and family have the other two. She has been neutered almost as soon as possible after the kittens were born as we are responsible owners.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 12-Oct-20 13:17:17

No, you can't stop a cat from wandering, or from deciding that she prefers to live with a neighbour!

Please insist that your daughter has the cat neutered. It is not so likely to stop a female wandering off as a male, but it will prevent unwanted kittens.

shysal Mon 12-Oct-20 13:53:21

When one of my cats repeatedly visited a house about a mile away, they kindly phoned me each time to go and fetch her. I supplied them with a spray bottle for water, asking them to shoo her away. She eventually stopped going there.
However, she then started disappearing for a week at a time. The only sighting I had was when she was found unconscious on the roadside in the next village, about 3 miles across the fields. The vet thought she had been kicked! She always wears a collar with phone number, and I also added another tag asking 'where does this cat go?' I never had an answer, but she always returned well fed.
Fortunately as she has got older she barely goes out at all so I am spared the worry.

The water spray is something perhaps you could suggest.

felice Mon 12-Oct-20 13:56:45

There are 2 cats upstairs, both went into isolation at the beginning of lockdown !!!!????
Now as the dog is now downstairs with me during the day the cats have come out.
One of them has been coming down here in the evenings when the Dog goes up.
DD says to me yesterday,,, "have you seen Link", male cat, " he has not been in at night for a week.
OOps, reminded her he has been here for the past week, at least I think I told her !!
They all get on but the Dog always wants to play with the older cats.
I got one of those 'looks' that DDs are so good at givingblush
He went home last night, we shall see tonight !!!!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 12-Oct-20 14:20:34

My step mother 'adopted' a cat that she said was a stray. "No way" I thought when I saw it. It came in through french doors during the day and the started to stay nights as well. It would disappear for a few days /weeks sometimes at first.

She didn't have any pets. So she bought bowls and food. I pity the lovely home it came from.

Sorry to say but your daughter has probably lost her cat and kittens. Perhaps if they do come back the lady could be given a kitten?

Gill33 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:09:01

The mother has been neutered as we just wanted one litter of kittens from her as we had homes for them all with family and friends. We wouldn’t want her to litters of unwanted kittens so we responsibly had her neutered after these were born. At the moment my daughter is keeping the kittens in so they can’t wander with Mum to the other house. The spray bottle is a good idea but I think the man she’s going to wouldn’t use it as he seems oblivious to anything that is said to him. He just says what a lovely cat she is and I think wants her round. He has a family so it’s not as though he’s lonely and on his own. I think if the kittens eventually go out there’s nothing we can do to stop them. I think my daughter has tried thane something really tasty when she returns but it hasn’t really worked. Thanks for all your responses though even if just to reassure me that it’s what I thought- nothing that she can redo.

Jane10 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:24:40

Coincidentally, my DD just sent me this pic of the cat that seems to be taking over their home. She looked down and there he was just watching TV with her!

geekesse Tue 13-Oct-20 14:34:59

www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Dinner-Sid-Inga-Moore/dp/0340894113/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&crid=1041Z90GL8NCU&keywords=six+dinner+sid&sprefix=Six+dinner+%2Caps%2C273&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1602596046&sr=8-1

glammanana Tue 13-Oct-20 14:36:40

Everyone near where I live know where my Oliver lives and have "shoo'd" him home if he gets too comfortable when he goes visiting.
Only once did he stay out for 2 nights when I was really worried but he had invited himself into next doors house and hidden in a bedroom.
No one feeds him so he has to come home I make sure he is in by 8pm and then lock the cat-flap I always leave out a litter tray for during the night most times it is not used.

Purpledaffodil Tue 13-Oct-20 14:55:53

My brother had two male cats who were brothers. When they had their first baby one of the cats just moved on to another childless couple. When DB was moving abroad, he went to see the other couple to explain and they were happy to keep the cat on a permanent basis. Whereas his home loving brother was crated up and flown abroad ?

GagaJo Tue 13-Oct-20 14:58:22

geekesse

]]

My daughter had, and loved, this book. Now my grandson has it too.

We have cats so even a 2 year old can understand a greedy cat.

Rosalyn69 Tue 13-Oct-20 16:00:24

It is said that many cats have more than one home.

Gill33 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:05:38

Geekesse
Yes Six Dinner Sid definitely springs to mind!

Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-20 13:05:13

Update:- now DDs interloper cat has disappeared. They were so used to him being around that now they're worried. They'd got so fond of him. sadTheir own cat is having a whale of a time with the food bowl to himself for a change. What's happened to the mystery cat? sad

MissAdventure Thu 22-Oct-20 13:28:00

Maybe somewhere else has a more appetising menu? smile

vegansrock Thu 22-Oct-20 15:39:31

You can get smart cat flaps which only reads your cats microchip so no interlopers, also even smarter ones which tell your phone what cats gone out and you can put a curfew on to shut them in at night if you want. You can also get tracker collars so you can pinpoint on your phone where your cat is- might be useful if you have a wanderer.

MiniMoon Thu 22-Oct-20 16:43:06

We had a visiting cat for a while last year. He lived across the road, and seemed to like my husband who really isn't keen on cats!
The family moved house and took him with them.?