Gransnet forums

Pets

What dog bedding for a biter?

(8 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 13-May-21 14:25:38

My 6 month old lab keeps destroying her bedding. I have tried vet bedding, towels etc but she just chews through everything in a matter of hours. A bath mat was gone in half an hour and a pillowcase I put in her pen as she was going to sleep was ripped to shreds in 5 minutes. I have a very strong ground sheet under the pen that she managed to ruck up and tear a small hole in. I’ve moved it a long and she slept on it with nothing else last night.

I would love for her to have something else to lie on. Any ideas anyone? Dh wondered about a car carpet mat as they are bound round the edges and seem quite tough. What do you think?

Dee1012 Thu 13-May-21 14:35:02

She's still very young so I presume it's a work in progress?!

One of my Rotties was like this when young and in all honesty, I spent an absolute fortune on "chew proof" items only to watch each one get destroyed pretty quickly!
I be wary of a car mat because of fibres and backing.

I ended up with a few old sheets that I used....she did outgrow the habit and now loves her blanket to the extent it's dragged around with her.

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 16:08:54

At this puppy stage just let her sleep in the basket with nothing else, it will only be shredded.I know you want her to be comfy but no point spending money for things to be destroyed.

Redhead56 Thu 13-May-21 16:12:05

I always got a solid moulded plastic bed for a little front door mat for inside it.

Nonogran Thu 13-May-21 16:18:34

In the wild she'd sleep on hard ground in amongst the grass on the prairie. Leave her without bedding for a bit because if she swallows something harmful it could do serious harm & massive vets bills. You mention a "pen.' Is she spending too long incarcerated? Bored out of her mind? Could more exercise be called for? Nothing better than a well exercised pup/dog who gets too tired to chew & sleeps off its walks. Just a thought.....

25Avalon Thu 13-May-21 17:31:03

Nonogran she is mostly in the pen at nighttime and the odd time we are eating during the day. Yes, I am afraid she will eat something she shouldn’t. Outdoors she is after sticks, stones and dirt so I have to be vigilant. She is still teething which makes it worse. I do give her lots of indestructible toys to chew but bedding is a favourite. Her pen is in the lounge with a heavy duty ground sheet to protect the carpet underneath so it is quite warm.

I have a lovely dog basket from previous dog with a soft comfy cushion but she isn’t getting that until she stops chewing!

downtoearth Fri 14-May-21 08:18:42

25Avalon watch her for snails outside, we had a lab that had a penchant for these, and caused lung worm

geekesse Fri 14-May-21 08:58:27

Some labs chew a lot. We had one many years ago who had huge amounts of exercise and lots of entertainment but she was still very destructive. The bean bag incident still raises howls of laughter, and she chewed through the phone cable once. After she chewed the 4 inch square leg off the oak kitchen table overnight, we had to give up and rehome her, and she had a long and very happy life as an outdoor farm dog.