Gransnet forums

Pets

The stray cat's dream-come-true

(40 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Wed 25-Aug-21 13:51:23

Some of you have kindly asked what Trold's apprentice and successor is called.

Well, as you probably can't pronounce his Danish name, we have decided on a pen-name and in deference to Harry Potter and because he is black he is calling himself Sirius here.

As most of you know, he started life as a stray and neither my efforts or those of the lady across the road where he sometimes was fed served to find out where he actually came from.

Neither chipped, tattooed nor apparently missed by anyone who saw our adverts, he seems to have reached the age of three (judging by his teeth) by sneaking food off more fortunate cats' plates - the cat-flap is such a boon to cat-thieves!

All the while the little soul apparently dreamed of two things: being able to sit in a window and look out at the world outside, especially when it is raining, and lying in a bed.

He is, as far as I can see, an entire tom, although there is no smell of tom cat, which I thought there always was in uncastrated males. If anyone knows better, do please enlighten me.

When he is a little more used to being a house cat and valued pet, a visit to the vet is indicated, as he needs to be chipped for my peace of mind and vaccinated against cat's flu, rabies and other nasty things. If the vet is likewise of my opinion that he is capable of siring any amount of unwanted kittens, obviously a further trip to the vet is indicated, as there are too many unwanted kittens in this sad world.

Grandmajean Wed 25-Aug-21 13:55:53

How lovely he is ! I have a rescued black cat who is now ten. He is spoiled rotten and doesn't appreciate it - especially not the
£1400 we spent five years ago for an operation to remove bladder stones without which he would have died. He has been on an expensive urinary diet since then. I love him to bits !

V3ra Wed 25-Aug-21 14:11:05

Grandmajean my son's kitten needed the same operation as it was in a very poorly way one Easter weekend. Fortunately the insurance paid up, but I'd had a distraught tearful phonecall asking for emergency funds to cover it over the bank holiday as he had to pay upfront.
The kitten had a repeat episode six months later and also has to have a special diet for life now. My son's main problem is preventing his other two cats eating the expensive special food!

Charleygirl5 Wed 25-Aug-21 14:37:13

I would love a youngish stray to wander in my cat flap because this house has been so quiet since Tara was PTO early January.

The local CPL cats have so many medical problems which would be uninsurable and would cost me a fortune from day 1 so that is a no-no.

Gwyneth Wed 25-Aug-21 15:03:27

He’s gorgeous and what a great name for him. I would definitely get the procedure done to castrate him though as you may find that he will start wandering off at times looking for females. This can cause a lot of worry when they disappear for days.

Grandmajean Wed 25-Aug-21 15:07:48

V3ra mine has not had another episode. Fortunately he likes the dry urinary food ( has always refused wet food ) He has regular bouts of lesions in his mouth which need treatment too ! As I say , an expensive rescued cat but we pay up don't we. Never had insurance as , every time I looked into it ( we used to have Oriental cats ) it seemed expensive . Might have been worth it for this one.

Alima Wed 25-Aug-21 15:08:55

He looks beautiful and very comfy. He has certainly landed on his paws with you! (His “easy” English name brings to mind HMS Sirius rather than HP as I am not familiar with the latter).

MayBee70 Wed 25-Aug-21 16:33:25

My best cat ever was a little black cat. Later cats could never replace him. He had a little monkey face and would sleep in my arms. I still miss him.

emmasnan Wed 25-Aug-21 16:57:46

He's beautiful and looks very at home.

JaneJudge Wed 25-Aug-21 16:59:04

you have been chosen smile

AGAA4 Wed 25-Aug-21 17:01:20

Lucky cat. He has found himself a good home.

Aveline Wed 25-Aug-21 17:12:55

What a lovely boy and a real two way blessing. Oh yes. Get him off to the vet asap and get him neutered and chipped and guaranteed yours!
Charleygirl could you not find another cat locally? I'm missing our Baz so much but also just not having a cat about the place. The two we are rehoming will be coming in a couple of weeks after their heart checks and I'm a bit more mobile. Can't wait!

GagaJo Wed 25-Aug-21 17:14:47

He looks blissful in the 1st pic. Lucky boy. He's chosen his home well.

Charleygirl5 Wed 25-Aug-21 17:21:19

Aveline I am thinking of going down the fostering route and I will not be responsible for any vet bills and even food is supplied but I would be happy to supply the food.

At present I could not spend much time with a cat so once I am more settled I will investigate.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 25-Aug-21 17:24:09

Beautiful. My black cat is called Milo after the character in Catch 22. It’s not just Vet bills and food! We’ve just bought our two another cat bed and blankets. Because they share we buy dog beds! Not cheap.

Aveline Wed 25-Aug-21 17:28:39

We've just bought several dog beds for the cats we're rehoming. They're very big Maine Coons but usually snuggle up together. I thought the beds we found were pretty reasonably priced. We also splashed out on new litter trays with filters which are easy to remove and empty and more economical on the wood pellets. We're getting so excited!

Charleygirl5 Wed 25-Aug-21 17:31:38

Aveline he/she is just gorgeous.

Aveline Wed 25-Aug-21 17:46:06

There's both boys. Retired from breeding. They've been together since they were kittens so the breeder didn't want to separate them. I suspect they won't exactly be domestic pets but we'll take our time and let them get to know us. My only concern is for the hoover!

humptydumpty Wed 25-Aug-21 18:33:56

Aveline thy're stunning, best wishes to them and you for their new forever home.

Grandmajean Wed 25-Aug-21 19:25:39

Beautiful !

Grandmajean Wed 25-Aug-21 20:18:05

Here's my big lad.

Aveline Wed 25-Aug-21 20:42:25

Lovely! Both the cat and the person sitting reading on the bench!
Black cats are beautiful. Little panthers.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 26-Aug-21 14:01:41

Aveline, if you are still young and healthy enough to get down on your hands and knees the best way of removing cat hairs from carpets and upholstrey that I have yet found is a pot scourer of the cheap sponge variety wrung out in cold or lukewarm water,

It worked well with our Norwegian Forest Cats, so should work with Maine Coone hairs too.

Don't be fooled by the "special pet hair mouthpieces" sold for practically any make of vacuum cleaner. They don't work very well in my experience.

Aveline Thu 26-Aug-21 14:44:06

Oh dear. It's been a long time since I got down on my hands and knees! Will just have to manage somehow.
As an aside we had a Norwegian Forest Cat once. A lovely creature who was devoted to me but avoided DH. Sadly, she went out one day and never came back. That was worse than having to have a dear pet PTS. Just not knowing what had happened to her was agonising. She was such a chatty puss who'd come rushing in to tell me all her news!

Lauren59 Thu 26-Aug-21 15:17:14

I have two lovely black cats, a mother and her baby, now aged 13. The mother cat showed up one evening with a tiny black kitten following her. I fed them, so of course they stayed!