Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Do you have a favourite grandchild? Take a survey on favouritism - £100 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(115 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Mar-17 11:25:29

We at GNHQ would like to find out a bit more about what GNers think about favouritism, and whether members have any favourites among their own grandchildren. Obviously this will be a sensitive issue for some - please rest assured that your answers will be anonymised and we won't trace individual answers back to individual GNers. All GNers who complete this survey will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher from a store of their choice.

This survey is open to all UK GNers who are grandparents.

Click here to complete the survey.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

vampirequeen Thu 09-Mar-17 11:51:13

Hmmm do I have a favourite grandchild.

Well obviously DGD1 because she was the first and she's a lively, interesting 8 year old.

But then obviously DGS1 because he was my first grandson so he's special and now he's 5 he's chatty and great fun.

But then obviously it's DGS2 because he's 3 and sweet and the middle child in his family so needs a bit more attention.

But then obviously it's DGS3 because he's 18 months and not as well as he could be. He needs a lot of TLC and he's still very cuddly.

But then obviously it's DGD2 because she's also 18 months but totally different to all the others. She's a proper mardy little madam just like her grandma.

Favourite grandchild???? Don't be silly. They're all my favourites.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:45:19

My favourite grandchild is mine, I only have one so he's clearly the best.
I fully respect everyone else's right to disagree!

BBbevan Thu 09-Mar-17 13:31:57

No I do not have a favourite. I only have two DGDs and will only ever have two. I treat them both the same and love them both equally.

annodomini Thu 09-Mar-17 13:56:44

My senior DGD, now 25, tells me that she's my favourite. Wrong! I appreciate and love each of my GC differently, though no less whole-heartedly.

nanaK54 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:21:31

No favourites for me - they are all very special in their own unique ways.
MIL definitely has a favourite GC and GGC and makes no secret of it - everyone tolerates that, not sure why really as it's not healthy in my humble......

rosesarered Thu 09-Mar-17 17:31:10

Nobody should have a favourite and let it show!

NannyKasey Thu 09-Mar-17 19:50:11

I have 2 DGDs one is 5 next month and the other is just 3 weeks, they are sisters. I don't have a favourite, they are both 'Nanny's best girl'. I'm just happy that I have grandchildren.

I think I was my Nanna's favourite as 1, I was her first, 2. she couldn't see why my mum, an only child, had a second child, 3 my DB was a little monster and 4, she was terminally ill with bowel cancer. She died when I was 5 so I don't really remember her.

tanith Thu 09-Mar-17 20:07:31

I do have a favourite out of the 8 I have but I would not and have not ever let it show, none of them would never guess I have a favourite as I treat them all the same. I do have my reasons.

Greenfinch Thu 09-Mar-17 20:47:56

The one who needs me most at the time.

SparklyGrandma Thu 09-Mar-17 21:13:41

I think its bad to have favourite's - I found out from my siblings how they hated my being my grandmothers favourite as I was the eldest or first grandchild on both sides of our family.

One sibling actually challenged our grandmother about it when the sibling reached adulthood. I however think that's wrong too.

I stayed a lot with my grandparents prior to starting school, 200 miles from my parents. I loved it, they lived in a mining village and people were always popping in and out of their home, which was a happy one. I loved them dearly.

Hopehope Fri 10-Mar-17 00:03:27

I only have one so have to disagree with PamelaJ1, mine is best, but then you have a Grandson PJ1, so you have the best Boy, and me the best Girl. Seems like a fair solution smile

Cindi Fri 10-Mar-17 05:01:09

Yes, I do have favourites amongst my 8 GC. They have no idea, nor do my AC.

SheenaF Fri 10-Mar-17 06:38:35

My mother has five grandchildren, only one is a boy, and the four girls are all aware of the favouritism towards him. So is he, to his chagrin.

Norah Fri 10-Mar-17 07:33:06

No favourite GC for me. Each is unique and lovable in their own way.

granto3 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:34:25

no, definitely not! I would never favour one over the other, I love them all equally. My own mother favoured girls over the boys and it hurt the boys greatly as they always knew she preferred girls. I was very saddened by it all and no matter how many times I told her not to show this, she always did.

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:34:40

Absolutely Hopehope.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Mar-17 08:07:02

I only have 2 GC and make sure that I'm scrupulously fair with both of them. Whatever I do for one, is balanced Ffor the other. I've seen the misery and confusion that was caused, to a little girl that I used to know, because her GM made no secret of the fact that she much preferred her 2 siblings. Wouldn't want that for any child.

GG62 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:53:24

I have 4 grandchildren - asking me about favourites is like asking if I favour my arm or my leg!

ajanela Fri 10-Mar-17 16:38:34

I only have one GC so not a problem. My father had favourites and the worse was in my brothers family when my father and his partner favoured the daughter. Made my sil very upset but her son went on to be a successful Serviceman and I am sure my Father a long term serviceman would br proud of him.

Stansgran Fri 10-Mar-17 19:44:24

Oh how can one choose. My DGD 1 is my favourite because she is the only girl and and the first grandchild and I have spent more time with he r than any other. But her brother is so like my DH and is so loving while DGS 3 is so like my DD2 and DGS4 reminds me of himself alone and is a totally uniquely gorgeous child.

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:26:44

GG62 you have just wrote exactly what I always say (and mean) to my own DC about themselves & DGC. smile

I love each child more than life itself.

glynis1234 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:46:13

Yes I do, my first GD she is 4 and wonderful. I feel bad saying this but it is true.

Kateykrunch Sat 11-Mar-17 22:09:22

Made me snigger this....as we still say to both our adult children, we dislike you both the same and your Dad and I would have divorced years ago, but neither of us wanted custody. Harsh, I know, but we all have a good sense of humour. We also told the AC that if we had ever known they would invent a tv remote control, we would never have had them in the first place!! Boom, Boom lol.

NfkDumpling Sun 12-Mar-17 07:23:34

I'm with VQ and the others with multiple favourites. Four GDC. All favourites in their different ways. They're just all far superior to anyone else's DGC.