Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Do you like your grandchild's name? Take this short survey. £50 to be won NOW CLOSED

(41 Posts)
AmeliaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-May-17 16:32:51

Here at GNHQ, we’re interested in hearing about how involved grandparents are when their grandchildren’s names are being chosen - and what happens when disagreements arise. We’ve based the questions below on discussions we’ve read about baby names on Gransnet and Mumsnet.

This survey is open to all GNers who have at least one grandchild. Please click here.

If you add your details when you take part, you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £50 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Cherrytree59 Thu 11-May-17 19:26:21

No prize for Gner??hmm

ninathenana Thu 11-May-17 22:29:11

Ooh Cherrytree I didn't notice that, I hope that was just a slip up with the writing of the post. Unfare otherwise.

I did complete the survey earlier

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 12-May-17 10:56:01

There is a prize for one Gransnetter (we will do a draw as usual)

CassieJ Fri 12-May-17 14:05:42

I am not sure why grandparents should be involved in the choice of names for their grandchildren? It is up to the parents what they call the child. I never asked or consulted my parents about what I was going to call my children, so I wouldn't expect to have any input on the choice of my grandchildren's names either.

nanaK54 Fri 12-May-17 17:24:57

I completely agree with CassieJ, have to say though that I really like the names chosen for my four grandchildren smile

Hopehope Sat 13-May-17 00:10:15

have done the survey. I agree it is completely up to the Parents
to choose. They did have discussions with us in a light hearted way though ages before the Birth, and we all came up with many very strange suggestions smile.

The name they chose is lovely, but funnily enough not one that had ever been mentioned, and not named after anyone in either Family.

BlueBelle Sat 13-May-17 05:49:05

Absolutely nothing to do with me I didn't expect to be consulted I didn't consult my family why would you? I liked all the names chosen.... personally I think it's awful of grandparents to expect any say in it, they didn't make the baby

proudnan Sat 13-May-17 19:00:24

I agree we got to choose out childs names why should we expect to have a choice in what they call their children. I have a thirteen week granddaughter who`s due to be christened tomorrow I wasnt too keen on her name in the beginning to be honest it took me a couple of weeks to remember it and not keep getting the wording wrong but whatever her name it doesn't stop me loving her to bits. And I now also love the name my daughter chose it suits her.

Genieslot8 Sat 13-May-17 22:29:01

Well I did not have a chance to name any of them one name given is now like a advert for a air fresh ironed anyway it grew on me

NfkDumpling Sun 14-May-17 07:18:09

My DD2 did ask if they could give my DGD2 my name as her second name but didn't when I pointed out that although I was flattered it would upset the other DGM. They agreed and used a similar name. No disagreement, no falling out.

I don't think it has anything to do with the grandparents and don't like the pressure to use 'family' names.

NannyKasey Sun 14-May-17 16:48:15

I like the names that DD and her OH chose for my DGD's though DGD No 1 chose DGD's No 2 name tbh I know DD knew what she was going to choose. DGD No 1 is now 5 and DGD No 2 is 3 months old. Even if I hated the names, I wouldn't have said anything as they are her children not mine.

NannyKasey Sun 14-May-17 16:52:30

There is a great aunt on my ex H's side with the same name as DGD No 1 and a Great Great Aunt on my side with the same name as DGD No 2. I think DD was aware of the first one but not the second. So technically they are family names

craftygran Sun 14-May-17 20:13:46

I have completed the survey. I have 26 grandchildren and have been asked my opinion on names which I have given. I don't think a child's name is anything to do with the grandparents and dislike family names. I like all my grandchildren names.

Rowantree Mon 15-May-17 10:37:26

I have two grandchildren and didn't expect to be involved in choosing their names, though we did tease and try and guess beforehand!
We chose our own children's names over 3 decades ago, and didn't ask the opinion of other family members.We didn't expect our children to ask us either. It's very personal and special and if parents wish to keep it a secret till they are ready to share, that's fine. I like both our grandchildren's names, but even if I didn't, it's not for me to say or to comment, which would be hurtful, unfair and completely wrong.

Granarchist Wed 17-May-17 08:32:33

How do you actually access the survey? I must be v stupid!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 17-May-17 09:03:33

Hi Granarchist - where it says 'please click here' - the 'here' will take you to it

Dannydog1 Wed 17-May-17 10:32:56

I wasn't involved with the choice of name for my granddaughter and I didn't expect to be. I'm sure it never occurred to me to involve my parents with the decision years ago. It is one of the joys to be shared by the child's parents.

inishowen Wed 17-May-17 16:40:03

As we already know the gender of our unborn grandchild, my daughter says the name is the only surprise left.

PamelaJ1 Thu 18-May-17 09:26:45

Seems like we all agree. Is this a first on gransnet?

mcculloch29 Thu 18-May-17 18:59:42

Hospital scans got the sex of DGS, now 14, wrong, so his middle name, which is the same as a beloved great uncle on our side of the family was a lovely surprise.

DGD, 15, was called by two names initially, not hyphenated. The second name was given to remember a recently deceased lady then in her seventies and is a typical name of that generation of women.

Fortunately it isn't too bad. It's not a name that even registers as being given to any children in the last 20 years on data charts though. Mine averages around 50-60 a year, in comparison, though I can't recall hearing it given to anyone now under 25.

Over the years my grand-daughter's 'extra' name has quietly dropped out of use. She's now doing her GCSE's and I don't think it's been used whilst she has been in high school.

AllTheLs Sun 21-May-17 09:41:59

I didn't complete it because they didn't include the statement: "I wasn't asked for my opinion, but I gave it anyway"

When my daughter said, if the child was a boy they were thinking of calling him **, I said, 'There's no way a grandson of mine is being called **'. Luckily they had a girl and they called her a beautiful name.

Ruskin Sun 21-May-17 09:51:54

I was told my Granddaughter's name in advance & it is lovely & unusual but invites some very obvious nasty nicknames but, since I am sure my son & his partner will have realised this, I did not mention it as it is entirely their choice

Juggernaut Sun 21-May-17 13:17:18

DS and DDiL discussed names with us, asked our opinion etc.
Just one name that they both liked if the baby had been a girl was disliked by both sets of GPs. There was a valid reason for us all hating the name, but DS & DDiL were unaware until we told them about a historical event connected with the name, they then dismissed it.
All the other names they chose were lovely, and we're all thrilled with the name they picked for our lovely DGS, it's an old English name, unusual these days, but suits him perfectly!

Legs55 Sun 21-May-17 14:51:22

Where is the survey????

My DD
& her OH chose the names for my 2 DGS, I love both names. IMO choosing names is for the parents, if they wish to ask that's ok but no need to consult GPs or any other family members