Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

UK GNer aged 60 to 75? Take this survey - £50 voucher to be won!

(48 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Nov-19 09:09:41

As you are probably aware, if elected Labour has pledged to pay back WASPI women to the tune of £58bn over the next 5 years.

We'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

This survey is open to all GN users aged between 60 and 75 and living in the UK.

All who complete the survey will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £50 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Please click here to complete the survey.

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Nov-19 09:56:07

Done. Though can I point out that the amount on offer is £100 per week, not full payback for most.

Harris27 Fri 29-Nov-19 20:55:07

Done hope it comes right for them.

FlexibleFriend Sat 30-Nov-19 13:19:42

Done

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Nov-19 17:25:58

Done

Grannyhall29 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:30:53

Done, but what about the men who have had to work longer before they get their pension

BBbevan Sat 30-Nov-19 17:52:29

Done, very quickly.

Nico97 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:22:24

Done

bikergran Sat 30-Nov-19 18:27:11

done quick n simple

Caro6699 Sat 30-Nov-19 20:56:03

I am not effected by this other than I had a six month delay before I could claim. When I queried this it was the first time I was aware of any changes.
Such a shame that they did not equalise pension ages by bringing the men’s pension age down rather than increasing the age for women

getoverit Sun 01-Dec-19 07:13:32

I can't understand why Women say that they didn't know pension ages would be equalised between men and women and when this would begin. Most of the Waspi women would have had the opportunity to still be earning a salary during this extended period, so why should they be compensated as well. Those enormous payouts would be better spent increasing the basic state pension for all.

Lorraine1602 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:14:22

I feel that if this had happened with a private pension, there would have been uproar, with the government demanding it be sorted properly. That said, as one affected, I would be happy with a token gesture payout of a few thousand pounds.

homefarm Sun 01-Dec-19 15:14:58

Done.
I worked until I was 68 years old and so did my mother.
We were told of these changes in 1993, so plenty of time to make changes.
We do not need 'spoonfeeding' we can all keep up with events and news

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Dec-19 17:08:10

You were told in 1993 of the changes in the 1995 and 2011 Acts? confused

quizqueen Mon 02-Dec-19 01:47:31

I reckon I'm owed about £20,000 (born in 1952) but this 'manifesto promise' won't make me vote Labour. I'm now 67 and still need to work p/t to supplement my state pension.

wobblywin Mon 02-Dec-19 06:59:40

I wouldn't trust Labour with the money to buy cinema tickets.

Nortsat46 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:44:28

Done.

annierich Mon 02-Dec-19 10:57:54

What about all the men who have missed out too? I too was born in 1952 but I reckon at £100 p/w it's £12,000 and not £20,000. It still wouldn't entice me to vote for Labour. I knew in plenty of time that my pensionable age was going to change from 60 to 62.5

quizqueen Mon 02-Dec-19 11:29:14

The sliding scale of introduction for state pension meant I didn't get my pension till the July when I was 63 (born Nov 52) so I missed out on payments for 3 years 9 months, I received about £150 a week pension, initially, so actually I lost nearer to £25,000, now I've worked it out. Obviously, women born after me will have lost a lot more. I still continue to work p/t as I cannot live on the state pension alone.

As far as I'm concerned, my 'contact ' with the government was to work from 18-60, pay national insurance and then get OAP. If men felt hard done by ( and I agree pension age should always have been equal from the start) they should have campaigned to change it. If there weren't so many people in the country receiving benefits of some kind the pension age would never have had to be revised.

There is only a finite pot of money but I don't see why women born in the 50s and pensioners to be, in general, should have to work longer to bear the brunt of it when others expect to receive state help just because relationships have broken down or they didn't have a reliable partner in the first place or they can't be bothered to hold down a job or only chose to work p/t. Why other taxpayers should be expected to fund that, I have no idea!

Golightly Mon 02-Dec-19 12:34:55

I was widowed in 1996, I was 49, my late husband 52. I received widows benefit but I remarried in 1998 to a younger man (born 1958). Because I had paid the married woman rate and because I remarried, I receive a state pension of 42p per month paid annually in December. I am now 72, my husband 61 and when he receives his pension there is now no married allowance so I will never be entitled to a reasonable state pension. I worked until I was 70 and have always paid fairly large amounts of income tax and my NI, as, indeed did my employer. If governments had been honest about NI since they started messing about in SERPS in the 70s, they would admit that everything we pay is TAX not NI for the NHS and benefits, those days are long gone as is my late husband's full NI contribution!
I do wonder how many other woman might be in my reasonably rare situation?

DotMH1901 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:49:07

Men have only had an extra year added to their SPA, women from 1954 onwards have had six years added - hardly a far comparison. The Government has finally admitted it did not even try to contact all those women who would be impacted by this change. How can you prepare for something if you have no inkling it is happening and are in the situation many of us were of not being able to join company pension schemes (open to our male colleagues only), working for less pay for the same work as our male colleagues, being the main carer for our children and other relatives throughout our working lives? Many of us have more than the required number of years NIC's to qualify for our pension at 60, additional contributions will not and do not increase our pension at the end.

luckyrose62 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:54:20

I worked from the age of 15 I had children in my mid 20’s who are well adjusted and working very hard .hed to move with husbands work so kept changing jobs in my 40’s got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis . Worked until mid fifties until felt too ill to work but not ill enough to claim disability. I live off my husbands work pension . If he wasn’t a nice person I could have ended penniless disabled ( I can still walk)and on the streets. I did not know pensions had changed ,it would have given me weekly money and a little independence to choose. So I have no income of my own
Sorry for going on....

sharon103 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:06:40

Done

NanaPlenty Tue 03-Dec-19 18:03:09

I’ve worked hard all my life, I have no private pension to speak of and now have to either work until 67 or struggle financially. It shoul never have happened - you can’t keep moving the goalposts.

futuregran1 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:41:15

I've completed the survey. I wasn't one of the women affected by this rule, but I lost several years' pension when I worked part time because Margaret Thatcher passed the law that those who had changed jobs before the law came into effect could not benefit by it. It was strange: if I had been made redundant, my part-time work would be taken into account, but though I still worked for Local Government, I was denied a pension for the years I had worked. Thatcher didn't do much for women.