Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Are baby walkers an ok present to buy?

(14 Posts)
Knittynanny Sat 19-Sep-20 15:19:08

My grandson is standing and will soon be trying to walk are baby walkers like this ok? Or do they harm development?
Thank you (new to gransnet btw!) ?

Kamiso Sat 19-Sep-20 15:23:08

My children all survived despite using the old sit in walkers. Not sure what the current thinking is. I think they were considered dangerous for a while.

Kamiso Sat 19-Sep-20 15:26:22

www.parents.com/baby/safety/tips/are-baby-walkers-ever-safe/

Seems to be a no from the U.S.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Sep-20 15:34:39

We still sell lots in the charity shop

Hithere Sat 19-Sep-20 15:36:12

You cannot buy them in Canada and in the US they are a huge no no

Ask the parents.

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 15:36:57

My D was given a similar one for my GS and she found it hard to smile and say thank you. She hates it - the American accented songs and jingles, the multi colours and the sheer quantity of plastic. It disappeared up to the loft and only came down when its donors were visiting.
I consulted and she chose this Brio toddle truck from me. Made of wood, it doesn’t speak or sing, has no flashing lights but little GS could fill it up with his treasures and push it round the room.
Always consult mum!

Ilovecheese Sat 19-Sep-20 17:20:50

The walkers that are thought to be unsafe are the ones that you sit the baby inside, not the ones that the baby pushes along by themselves.

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Sep-20 17:52:28

I personally would ask the parents if they would like their child to have one rather than foisting it on them. They may have different ideas.

DillytheGardener Sat 19-Sep-20 18:14:47

My grandchild is a baby still and lives abroad so I wouldn’t be buying them one anyway, but from what I saw on a news story a couple of years ago they are not advised so I wouldn’t buy them. I didn’t have them myself for my two as our house when they were young had stairs but they did have a walker at my mother in laws.

midgey Sat 19-Sep-20 18:18:51

The wooden toddle trucks as described by MawB2 are tried and tested! They last for ages, long after the child can walk. The handle is adjusted as the child becomes a confident walker. You can’t fail with silent toys!

welbeck Sat 19-Sep-20 18:39:57

i think they are dubious items, but anyway, anything for the children should be cleared with the parents first.

Knittynanny Sun 20-Sep-20 07:54:02

Yes, obviously I would consult with parents, but I didn’t want to even suggest anything that wasn’t deemed safe first. Thank you that it’s the sit in walkers that are the ones thought to be unsafe. The one I am going to suggest is a totally wooden toy. No flashing lights or sounds, just things the baby can flick and spin and move around. It also has a little tray to hold things To push around.
Thank you all xx

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 09:23:46

Of course I’d check with the parents, but I’ll just say that my four oldest DGS all loved the gaudy, noisy plastic V-Tech walker I bought at a table top sale for a fiver. The parents hated it at first sight, but it had loads of use, and will be passed to number 5 when he’s old enough, then go to a charity shop. The tasteful traditional wooden ones with bricks that both sets of parents had tried first jerked along, were at the wrong angle for walking, tipped easily and were soon relegated to a corner.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:26:07

Looks a lovely one in the pic, All mine had them, many years ago, but I would ask the parents what they think