Gransnet forums

Relationships

Letter to my parents

(13 Posts)
gracesmum Mon 12-Mar-12 22:25:21

Dear Mummy and Daddy
As I am about to face my birthday, I find myself thinking back to years gone by. Mummy, you once told me that one day I would miss my parents. Well, I kept a tactful silence, I was probably thinking the 60's version of "Whatever", but you know what? You were right as usual.
I have so much to be grateful for and the older I get the more I realise that I never actually did say "Thank you."
Thank you for a secure, trouble free childhood, where I learned the difference between right and wrong and lived in an atmosphere where effort and achievement were recognised. Thank you for the genes which mean I have good health, although while I still think it might be nice to be 5'10 and willowy, thanks to these same genes I remain 5'2 and dumpy.
Thank you for teaching me that you achieve nothing without hard work and that when the going gets tough, moaning solves nothing. Oh and thank you for teaching me to love language and to be able to spell.
As I have seen my darling babies grow into lovely young women, I think I can understand the pride you felt when I went to university, got my degree and when you, Daddy led my up the aisle all those years ago.
You taught me by setting firm but fair boundaries, by sometimes turning a blind eye, but mostly by your own example.
I shall eternally regret the opportunities I missed to show my appreciation and gratitude, but what I now do for my children is the only way left for me to continue the good work you started.
Did I say Thank you? Did I say I love you?
Your loving daughter

JessM Mon 12-Mar-12 22:42:10

Aah. That is very touching. Sleep well.

glassortwo Mon 12-Mar-12 22:48:15

grace its hard to say these things when we are younger and we cant see what our parents try to do for us at the time. But I am sure they knew how grateful you were without you saying it and did what they did for you because they loved you.

When is your birthday?

Annobel Mon 12-Mar-12 23:10:16

That is so moving, gracesmum. I am sure you more than fulfilled your parents' expectations and you didn't give them any cause to doubt your love. You are having such a trying time at the moment and I hope you will manage to have a happy birthday. x

greenmossgiel Tue 13-Mar-12 09:14:23

gracesmum, I think most of us wish we had the chance to speak to our parents again. We would perhaps be able to find the words that didn't come easily to us when we were younger - we have to fight a few of life's battles before we can discover what these words really mean.
Your parents will have been so quietly proud of you - your successes in what you attempted, and how, in the lessons of the life you have had, have made you the strong woman that you are. They would know just how much you loved them, believe me. flowers

wotsamashedupjingl Tue 13-Mar-12 10:04:14

That is a lovely letter Gracesmum.

We have a lot to be thankful for. smile

kittylester Tue 13-Mar-12 10:32:12

Beautiful letter Gracesmum. You must have been very lucky and all that love will stand you in good stead now. flowers And Happy Birthday for whenever it is. cupcake

GoldenGran Tue 13-Mar-12 10:32:41

That is lovelyGracesmum and I had tears in my eyes as I read it. I had a difficult time with my Mother, but your letter made me realise their were many good qualities about her, she had a hard time bringing us up on her own, and how I wish now I could have expressed some appreciation of what she went through, to her. flowers

absentgrana Tue 13-Mar-12 11:13:38

There's nothing like being separated by half the world to remind you how much you value your mother or daughter and how you shouldn't take her for granted. Absentdaughter and I both make sure that we express our love for each other, pleasure in each other's achievements, and gratitude for each other's help. We always end our telephone calls and e-mails by saying how much we love each other. Maybe it will be different once I move to New Zealand, but I suspect not.

syberia Tue 13-Mar-12 11:41:56

Lovely flowers

Annika Tue 13-Mar-12 16:16:13

Gracesmum that is so lovely, its true that you don't realise how much you will miss your mum till she is no longer around.
My mum was such a strong woman, she had to be as life had a habbit of knocking her down so many times in her 65 years, but I will not dwell on that now.
What I will add is one of the many happy memories I have of her.
I was about 19 and we thought we would have a "girls" day shopping so off to Birmingham we went. This was the time of the famous Bull Ring shopping centre. To cut a along story short we wanted to know the time so mum asked a local bus driver the time. Did he look at his watch?, no not him, out of his pocket he pulled a huge alarm clock (yes clock ! I know how your minds work ) It was the sort with two brass bells on the top !!! This made us chuckle all the way home grin

jeni Tue 13-Mar-12 16:28:39

That's Brum for you. Full of characters.

yogagran Tue 13-Mar-12 21:35:42

That's such a lovely letter gracesmen - thanks for that