Gransnet forums

Relationships

Government consultation on gay marriage

(55 Posts)
getmehrt Thu 15-Mar-12 14:02:38

I have just filled this in, thinking of my gay son - who in my view should not be denied rights my other children have.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/about-us/consultations/equal-civil-marriage/

I think it's just started and goes on for about three months. I hope it helps.

Jacey Thu 15-Mar-12 16:14:59

If you go into the forums section getmehrt you will find a section called ...Epetitions.

You might like to re-post this thread there ...more people may see it? And they will know to find it there if they wish to come back for the web address at a later date.

I have actually now been on the site and filled in the survey ...there are quite a few GNetters who will be interested.

bagitha Thu 15-Mar-12 16:16:56

survey done. Thanks for the link.

syberia Thu 15-Mar-12 16:38:03

Also done, and have posted link on FB. Thanks getmehrt smile

flowerfriend Thu 15-Mar-12 16:41:37

getmehrt Thank you. Will do. One of my three sons is gay and in a civil partnership.

Annobel Thu 15-Mar-12 17:06:51

Have done the survey.

dorsetpennt Thu 15-Mar-12 17:23:35

done - many of my gay friends would have loved the chance to marry .

jeni Thu 15-Mar-12 17:31:13

I have done the survey. It told,e I had previously completed the survey from this computer. I haven't! confused

JessM Thu 15-Mar-12 18:03:51

I don't know what the catholics are stropping about. Nobody is forcing them to perform gay marriages. it is just register office weddings. Maybe they think they have a monopoly on the M word. The Bishop of Bucks was just on the radio saying that the church has only "been in the marriage business" for about 500 years. Will do questionnaire now.

Butternut Thu 15-Mar-12 18:39:02

Done.

Greatnan Thu 15-Mar-12 18:41:55

Will do.

Carol Thu 15-Mar-12 19:24:36

I also have a gay son, and believe he should be able to make the same commitment if he wishes - he probably doesn't, but he doesn't have a choice to exercise at present.

I have done it, too.

jeni Thu 15-Mar-12 19:36:03

I have a bisexual, polyamourous, pagan son! At least that's how he describes it!
I tried to complete the survey but it said I already have! And I haven't?

em Thu 15-Mar-12 19:43:44

My gay daughter has just announced her engagement. When she was asked how she felt about being married in church she replied that since she does not attend church she wouldn't be hypocritical enough to ask for a church wedding - gay or straight! We'll find a lovely venue for a civil partnership ceremony (and will have 2 beautiful brides)!

Lulu123 Fri 16-Mar-12 15:09:15

I've just returned from attending a wonderful lesbian marriage in South Africa - service performed by a gay pastor and the whole thing took place in the open in the bushveld. I would say it's the nicest wedding I've been to.

goldengirl Fri 16-Mar-12 15:36:53

A Civil Partnership sounds fine to me - why is marriage such an important addition, especially when statistically so many marriages fail?

Greatnan Fri 16-Mar-12 16:01:35

If it seems important to the couple concerned, why should they be denied it?

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 12:48:14

Rowan Williams on the issue of gay marriage has the leaderships skills of a "plate of tapioca" according to Janet Street Porter in this article in the Indie. Gotta chuckle!

Going back to read the rest of it....

goldengirl Mon 19-Mar-12 16:10:47

'Matrimony' I read in the DT today derives from 'mater' [mother] and the Church blesses marriage as for the procreation of children ie it is more than a partnership. Therefore, the article continues, gay matrimony or marriage is a contradiction in terms.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 16:21:15

It's only a contradiction in terms for churches who want to stick to the old meaning of the word (which they invented anyway). Language evolves. Ideas evolve. Attitudes evolve. Marriage doesn't mean, to most of us, the same as what it meant to most people in the past. There are other good articles explaining these changes.

The bottom line though, is that if you want marriage to mean something which is solely for the procreation of children, it can have that meaning for you. But it can have a different meaning for someone else. Why not? So long as nobody is harmed, it doesn't matter. Nobody is harmed by gay marriage.

bagitha Mon 19-Mar-12 16:24:26

One of the articles I mentioned above is even in the same paper as the one goldengirl mentions: the case for gay marriage will strengthen social fabric

Lastsongster Tue 20-Mar-12 14:45:39

I agree with the sentiment that gay marriage harms nobody and makes a lot of people very happy, as some posts here prove. Religion's a somewhat out of date concept now anyway so why we should take seriously some out of touch self serving, often corrupt, sometimes nasty clerics, only God knows.

horatio Sun 06-May-12 00:16:31

I can never understand why the same people who decry religion, and the church, are so vociferous in demanding that gay people should be able to be married in one. Just a whiff of contradiction there I would say.
The bottom line is that the marriage ceremony is a religious one, so if you are contravening that order, then why try to `benefit` from it. What on earth is wrong with a civil ceremony; what extra benefit can arise from a church wedding? Only religious minded people would feel that their marriage has been santified.

Greatnan Sun 06-May-12 01:23:41

Nobody is asking for same sex marriages in church - please read the posts carefully. We are asking for civil marriage to be available on equal terms for all couples. And if you think a civil partnership is no different from marriage, why not let it be called a marriage?
The definition of marriage was made by men and can be changed by men.

grannyactivist Sun 06-May-12 01:48:42

Hello and welcome to Gransnet Horatio. smile