Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sex since the menopause

(67 Posts)
overthehill Sat 16-Feb-13 21:31:53

In my sixties now. Although I had a very full and active sex life with my husband up to the menopause which was 54 for me, once I reached that my desire dried up more or less completely.

I read that everyone is enjoying it into their dotage but not me.

Personally I would be quite happy to call it a day but hubby, bless him who is 4 years older than me still likes to carry on and I of course feel sad that I cannot enjoy it in the same way. To keep him happy I participate occasionally.

One of the problems is I now feel if I cuddle him, which I would like to do more, he sees that as the green light so this holds me back. We have discussed this but I think he chooses to ignore it.

I know I should be grateful as he still finds me desirable ( can't imagine why) but I do find it problem

Does anyone else have this problem?

JAB Sat 16-Feb-13 21:49:28

overthehill, thank goodness there is somone else who feels the same way as me. You have described my feelings exactly, DH would be devastated if he knew, I have tried to explain to him I still love him just the same, and have tried all the creams etc. but nothing has worked for me. I too have to (not have to I'm not forced or anything like it,) participate every so often. I feel guilty because at the moment I'm saying it's because I'm waiting for my kidney to be removed, but really I'm just using this as an excuse, I too feel if I cuddle him he will expect it to go further. It's so hard isn't it, but now I don't feel quite such a freak, I thought I was the only one., so no you are not the only one, there are at least two of us.I must go off now I would hate him to see this, as he is such a caring man, and I couldn't bear to hurt him.

angiebaby Sat 16-Feb-13 22:05:09

jab and overthehill,,,,,,,,,im so pleased to have read your thread.....i would rather have a hot dinner .....lol....i am 68 and cant be bothered,,,as soon as i am in bed i want to snuggle down and drift off, luckily or unluckily my husband has sex in his head but his body wont work, i know he has high colestral,,,and high blood pressure,,,that stops your bits working, as soon as he gets in bed he drops off to sleep...yippee,,,,,,,,,,only problem i have between the sheets is his damn snoring,,,,but im lucky i move to the guest bedroom and sleep in there,,,,,aahhhhhhh,,,absolute heaven, no ive had all the sex i want thank you very much,,,,,all that puffing and panting,,,,,,,over the years,,,its time to say no thank you very much,,,,men hugh ! they should keep their willys in the trousers after a certain age,,,lol, so dont worry you are not alone,,,,glad you brought this up,,,,,,,,,,,

agapanthus Sat 16-Feb-13 22:47:23

Ha ha Angie! Love it!!!!!

angiebaby Sat 16-Feb-13 22:55:59

thanks aga,,,,,,lol

Pennysue Sat 16-Feb-13 23:23:55

Yippee I am not the only one! A good book is all I need and (thank goodness) he is the same. Love him just as much now as when we first met, but a cuddle is all I need now! Thank you for bringing this up!!

Mishap Sun 17-Feb-13 10:54:47

It is a very common problem that arose with many couples when I was in my counselling role - and it is very difficult to solve. overthehill very well describes the dilemma - how to show affection without implying desire? It is not a problem if, as for Pennysue both partners are happy to call it a day.

I never did find a resolution to it with any couple I am afraid - it is perhaps the result of our ideal of a lifelong union, which is fine as long as compatibility in all areas exists - if it does not, then compromise is the only way, but that is a problem in the bedroom as compromise involves one partner acquiescing to something that they are not really at all enthusiastic about. And sex is so personal and fundamental - it is not like agreeing to compromise over mealtimes for instance.

Some women get randier after the menopause and others lose interest. I always used to say that the important thing was not to feel a failure or to assume some guilt into the situation - you are as you are, and that is fine. There is no rule that says you should want to keep bonking till you die!

We make such a big thing about sex, as though it is critical to health and happiness - for many people it is not, and that is fine. Some men see it as fundamental to their self-worth, which is what makes it so hard for women to say no however much they might want to.

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Feb-13 13:32:10

Yes! Over Thank you for this post! As the other posters have said have said I recognise that completely, including the wanting a hug bit.
I just have not been bothered for years. OH has never been able to understand that I don't want more than that. Then it was being pawed all night. I found eventually giving in out of "sympathy" did not do me any good and rather made me feel used.

Its good to talk about this! I would be interested to know what %tage of postmenpopausal women really do still want enjoy this. Its such an "unmentionable" subject though I think really accurate figures would be hard to get.
angie Nicely put! grin

storynanny Sun 17-Feb-13 14:51:06

.... And I can assure you it isn't anything to do with being with the same person for so long. My partner and I met late 40s for me, early 50s for home, we had 5 years of at it like rabbits, then came the menopause and I would rather have a bar of chocolate and read a book, fortunately he feels exactly the same! Funnily enough, when we do make the effort it's really good!

Ella46 Sun 17-Feb-13 15:05:10

I would love to have sex and/or cuddles with a loved one, but I haven't got one!
I've had the best sex of my life since I was 60, which I put down to not being so exhausted after work, or not resenting my partner!

Now I am on my ownsome and I really miss it sad, but I do sympathise with the 'being pawed all night/not wanting to but feeling obliged' scenario.

glassortwo Sun 17-Feb-13 17:06:40

Since the menopause I have lived with my DD, SIL and DGC its role reversal hmm I now know what it feels like being a teenager living in their parents house. Comes to something when you have to have a holiday or a weekend away to have sex shock

numberplease Sun 17-Feb-13 17:22:09

We had quite a healthy sex life,( 5 kids, so must have!), then after our last "session" on a holiday in 1999, we neither of us ever bothered again, it just hasn`t been mentioned. Mind you, it hasn`t bothered me either!

annsixty Sun 17-Feb-13 19:42:44

The only thing I went off during the menopause was driving and that is the status quo,and I am not just older but old!!!

overthehill Mon 18-Feb-13 12:06:45

Thanks for all your replies and good to see I am not alone.

It is a shame there doesn't seem to be a solution but I suppose there are things in life you just have to accept

Grannyknot Mon 18-Feb-13 15:18:47

Apologies for hi-jacking this serious thread, but can't resist smile posting this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPs2Myjke3w

Marelli Mon 18-Feb-13 17:35:23

Oh - ha ha ha! Brilliant, Grannyknot!! gringringrin Thanks for that!

Ariadne Mon 18-Feb-13 17:39:41

Wonderful! grin

JessM Mon 18-Feb-13 18:26:08

Mystified. Why is he doing that? me no like.

Ana Mon 18-Feb-13 18:29:51

It's a Candid Camera type of thing, Jess....wink

annodomini Mon 18-Feb-13 19:04:22

Gross is the word that comes to mind. shock

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Feb-13 19:13:02

Good one! grin Do you think he still has his socks on?

JessM Mon 18-Feb-13 19:15:29

oh to make fun of the older women's reactions. Hysterical. (just not my sense of humour I guess)

Galen Mon 18-Feb-13 19:17:50

Weird!shock

merlotgran Mon 18-Feb-13 19:20:40

Been even better if he'd been wearing a cod piece grin

Grannyknot Mon 18-Feb-13 19:25:35

Actually, I think the older women's reactions make fun of him ... !