Gransnet forums

Relationships

When a few angry words....

(37 Posts)
j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:09:04

pass between you and your daughter during a visit, do you just want to stay under the duvet the next morning (even longer than usual) and hide from the guilt? Even though what you said was justified?

Nonu Mon 18-Mar-13 10:19:22

Never have angry words with my DD"s , I am glad to say .

sunshine

Ana Mon 18-Mar-13 10:21:48

Yes, jingl, I do - and go over and over it in my mind.....sad

shysal Mon 18-Mar-13 10:23:36

I am happy to say this has never happened - we are placid bunch. I feel for you jingle, I would be very upset in your position. Could you be the first to apologise, even though it is not your fault? Life is too short to continue family spats. flowers

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:26:18

Hope it blows over Jingle flowers

Mishap Mon 18-Mar-13 10:32:45

Hope things improve for you.

I never argue with my girls - have different opinions, yes - but truly argue, no.

Their presence in our lives is just too precious to put at risk.

glammanana Mon 18-Mar-13 10:33:36

Sometimes things need to be said don't they ? luckily enough DD and I have the same outlook on life and tend to get over any disagreement quickly.((hugs)) jings

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:52:37

Oh, it had passed by the time tea appeared on the table. But it's me who wakes up feeling bad about it. I know she will have forgotten about it by now.

It was a culmination of several minor things (though they don't feel minor) that came to a head.

For example, other dd, GS and I settled down after lunch to read a Merlin book. Daughter in question (we were at her house) goes off to her bedroom to read her book. And when she finally comes down and graces us with her presence, she goes into the kitchen to do her baking for the week! Younger daughter joins her in the kitchen and they have lively chats, while I'm left in the living room with grandad (now asleep after doing gardening for them) and grandsons (by now watching Harry Potter which I can't see cos I've brought wrong glasses). If I join them in the kitchen I lose out on time with grandkids (and anyway, the chairs are hard). So I have dire rest of the afternoon watching a blurred telly and feeling guilty about putting Harry Potter on which I know younger grandchild isn't supposed to watch (nightmares).

AND, I gave her the money weeks ago to renew his Moshi Monsters club online. Asked him if she had done it. "No". Apparently he has transferred his affections to Bin Weevils (?!) but she still needs to get on and join him up to that one! Not keep the money! She's done this before - I've given her money for something which doesn't materialise and never offers the money back. I wouldn't take it, but she could say something!

And then she asked who rattled my cage!!! Which only added fuel to the fire! hmm

rant over

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:55:33

I agree Mishap. Their presence in our lives is very important. But sometimes things just bubble up. blush

Movedalot Mon 18-Mar-13 11:08:47

Sorry to hear that j08. We have sons so it is different but when our DiL throws one of her hissy fits we just apologise and say what she wants to hear as it is the only way to deal with her.

soop Mon 18-Mar-13 11:09:33

jings I'm with you all the way. Love for family doesn't exclude episodes of disappointment and frustration and the occasional "argy bargy" session. A warm hug from me. x

Ana Mon 18-Mar-13 11:14:54

I think a mother's relationship with her daughter/s is often complicated, and sometimes the slightest thing can cause one or the other to feel taken for granted, resentful or hurt. Depending on how strong I'm feeling on a particular day also makes a big difference to how I cope or deal with the feelings my daughter occasionally brings out in me. And she does have a tendency to brood, and then suddenly flip! confused

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 11:42:40

Just another normal day in family life then, Jingle, eh? grin My children cross the boundaries every now and then, as do I, and we aren't aways that careful with our rebukes, then feel awful afterwards. But then, when your family is secure enough to withstand that, it happens before you've checked yourself. On another day, you could equally be treading on eggshells and wondering why you have to feel like that. Let it go (sounds like your DD has) and make sure you've got the right glasses next time. She's probably busy sorting out the Bin Weevils subscription, knowing she should have been quicker off the mark. grin

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:00:42

Thank you when. That's made me feel better. Yes. Just another day in normal family life. And me attaching too much importance to it. hmm grin

Thanks soop. Hug really appreciated. sunshine

Ana Mon 18-Mar-13 12:10:24

Yes - kick up the backside appreciated by me too, when! smile
You're right - it's just normal family behaviour.

Stansgran Mon 18-Mar-13 12:11:43

I think you are lucky that you can row with her. My elder daughter brings out the passive aggressive in me which I hate and probably why she never phones me or skypes me with the DGCs.DD2 is a saint but is bit cool with me at the moment. I do nt know what I've done. I am having them for a week in the hols this Easter and it is just before we go away. I wonder if I should have visited today as its their wedding anniversary and SIL is away but it's three hours there and back and horrid weather.

glassortwo Mon 18-Mar-13 12:15:38

jingle thats life with Daughters, but as when said we have these spats but I think both sides know its just a clearing of the air and move on from it, sending you a {{{hug}}} as it does leave you feeling a bit shaken. (smile)

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:17:13

Thanks glass. Yes. It is daughters. Nothing like this happens with son! confused

glassortwo Mon 18-Mar-13 12:17:25

smile

glassortwo Mon 18-Mar-13 12:18:48

Sons seem to have other ways of getting under our skins though dont they, different tactics grin

tanith Mon 18-Mar-13 12:27:49

I hope its sorted soon too, I never argue with my girls, we each state our case and then if our point of view is different we automatically agree to differ, I don't think we have ever fallen out since they 'grew up'. Now my SIL is a whole other story..grin

petra Mon 18-Mar-13 12:55:10

That sounds like a normal day when I am at DD house.
We go the whole hog when we go: shouting( and the rest) walking out. Fortunately I live close by.

Mishap Mon 18-Mar-13 14:04:41

To be honest jings - and you are often very honest wih the rest of us! - I cannot see anything in what you described that would have caused me a moment's bother. I guess we are all different. But it might be worth bearing in mind that there are strange creatures like me who would not have been bothered by the things that annoyed you - just a different view that helps to make life tick along more smoothly. I let an awful lot wash by me in the interests of happy harmony.

Having said all this no doubt I will get my come-uppance soon and a row will emerge! - but so far we have not gone there with our daughters, and I plan to do my d****est to make sure I don't if at all possible.

harrigran Mon 18-Mar-13 15:48:48

I have never had a cross word with DD, we love and cherish each other and she is just too precious to be angry with. DD does not have any children and perhaps that makes a difference.
jingl put it behind you and move on, tomorrow is another day smile

kittylester Mon 18-Mar-13 15:56:51

I bite my tongue!! grin