Gransnet forums

Relationships

saying those three little words

(46 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 20-Mar-13 10:08:11

Why I ask myself do I find it so difficult to actually say "I love you" to DH when I do, and always have in the 40 yrs I've known him. He tells me all the time. My usual response is "same to you" Can't say it to my poor old mum either.

On the other had I tell my 2 DGS every time I see them.

absent Wed 20-Mar-13 10:09:15

Go hang yourself?

Notso Wed 20-Mar-13 10:22:30

I know lots of people who struggle to say it nina. From very sad experience, I'd say it's worth trying to find a way to say those 3 little words. Not for the sake of your DH or Mum, but for your own sake. The guilt when they're no longer around and you've left so much unsaid, is an awesome thing.

I read this definition the other day 'A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other'

Take care, flowers

ninathenana Wed 20-Mar-13 10:26:02

grin absent

glammanana Wed 20-Mar-13 10:26:21

When we where younger we never had the time to say I love you,we where like ship's passing in the night working different work pattern's,now leading a much more relaxed life we always say Love you Loads rather than I Love You,but mr.glamma's term of endearment is to always ask "are you ok prinesss"
We did always hug and kiss my parents hello when we went to visit when they where alive and said ILU on leaving.

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 10:40:13

I've always thought that actions speak louder than words.

moomin Wed 20-Mar-13 10:46:00

Harsh absent grin and I agree Bags but it's nice to hear the words all the same

janeainsworth Wed 20-Mar-13 10:47:37

Yes bags, but to many people it's important to hear the words said, as well as see the action sad

janeainsworth Wed 20-Mar-13 10:48:38

Crossed posts moomin
Great minds eh smile

moomin Wed 20-Mar-13 10:53:01

Without a doubt jane

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 10:54:41

I have known instances of people saying the words but not behaving as if the words are true. Behaviour is easier to assess as truthful or not, I find.

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 10:57:04

I wouldn't want to live with someone who said the words but didn't behave as if they loved me, whereas I could easily live with someone who behaved as if they loved me but never said so.

Ana Wed 20-Mar-13 11:22:10

A lot of men seem to feel the same way you do, Bags, and honestly can't understand why women want them to say it as they think their actions should be proof enough.

Movedalot Wed 20-Mar-13 11:22:51

notso I like that very much. That probably describes us.

nina you clearly would like to say it so I suggest you wait until you are alone and then imagine him in front of you and say it. When you have conquered that, look in the mirror and say it. If all else fails why not write it down and give it to him? DH has no problem saying it but I was so touched recently when he went away overnight and I found on my pillow a red rose with those three little words.

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 11:34:42

It looks as if I understand that mindset, ana. As far as I'm concerned, actions are proof enough, either way. There are lots of actions which mean "I love you" and there are lots which mean "I don't care much." I think it's much more difficult to be deceptive with one's behaviour. And, after all, a great deal of human communication is done with body language rather than words. This is just an extension of that.

Ana Wed 20-Mar-13 11:36:54

I agree with you, Bags, although I also understand the wish to be told that one is loved, as well!

Ana Wed 20-Mar-13 11:38:34

Funny old things, human beans...confused

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 11:39:41

I understand that need wish too. Have felt it myself, but I moved on from there when I realised that the lack of loving behaviour in that relationship is what created the need.

Marelli Wed 20-Mar-13 11:39:59

Notso, I think that's a lovely quote. And when I think about our own relationship, it fits DH and me to a T. I don't find it hard to say the words, but perhaps I should say them more often. DH isn't the demonstrative sort, but oddly, if we're out for a walk, we'll link arms and I'll say, "Love you", and he'll reply, "I love you".
However this morning, we're trying to move furniture about because a new carpet's to be laid in the bedroom this afternoon......we're not very fond of each other today grin!

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 11:41:37

marelli grin

soop Wed 20-Mar-13 12:20:42

For almost 25 years, Mr soop and I have said those three words to each other at least once a day. Of course our actions speak louder than those words, but we still say them, and we shall continue to do so, just because it's true. smile

Bags Wed 20-Mar-13 12:21:26

Best of both worlds, eh soop? smile

soop Wed 20-Mar-13 12:24:19

Without a doubt, Bags smile

gracesmum Wed 20-Mar-13 15:57:07

Four little words, actually
"I'll make the tea"brew smile

kittylester Wed 20-Mar-13 16:04:19

That's the one that does it for me gm brew