Gransnet forums

Relationships

What do women want?

(40 Posts)
absent Fri 12-Apr-13 13:25:24

There have been a few threads recently that have touched on the subject of what kind of man makes a good or even perfect partner? I confess that some of the ideas have really horrified me and I would run a mile from such men. What characteristics do you think make the ideal partner?

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 13:33:04

Sense of humour, honest, caring and someone who does not think he knows it all.

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 13:38:33

Well apart from the usual, good looks, charm, being good in the sack whatever....

I think it is important (to me anyway) to have a partner who is mentally strong. Someone who would be willing to fight my corner (not physically) just to be strong when I need him to be. My previous (late) husband was a physically strong (although it turns out not fit) man. He played sport, he was one of the guys. But he was mentally very weak. The current (and final) Mr Gillybob is a thinker (hmmmmmm) he doesn't have too much to say, (he says he doesn't talk crap like I do). He is mentally very strong and needs to be to put up with me and my bloody complicated life. grin

kittylester Fri 12-Apr-13 13:55:24

Which characteristics make you want to run absent?

I'd agree with glass but also gilly's point about being mentally strong. Good looks are immaterial to me but the chemistry needs to be right. DH isn't perfect but the good definitely outweighs the bad! smile

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 14:01:46

Beauty is only skin deep.

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 14:01:58

My DH is incredibly honest Glass he is caring too and sometimes even has a sense of humour. He is not allowed to be a know it all ! He is a pain in the neck sometimes most of the time, but he is my pain in the neck and I love him. smile

cathy Fri 12-Apr-13 16:13:04

Trustworthy
Smart//in a practical sense not necessarily academic
Faithful
Dependable
And good looking of course smile

sunseeker Fri 12-Apr-13 16:23:39

We all like to think we have the perfect man - I know I always did with my DH, he was strong (physically and mentally), practical, loyal, loving, hard working, honest with great sense of humour and could always make me laugh. There were also times when he drove me to distraction but I loved him and would give everything I have if I could have him back.

MrsJamJam Fri 12-Apr-13 16:38:57

Honest, trustworthy, loyal and loving.

Also, knows I am always right in every disagreement we have, thinks I am utterly gorgeous (so very short sighted) and remembers to shut the door!

Current DH is perfect on all counts in the first para, but somewhat lacking on those in the second. But I still think he is perfect. Also, he cooks!

Ella46 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:55:57

At this moment in time I would settle for someone who smells nice and clean and doesn't get too breathless! blush grin

Grannyeggs Fri 12-Apr-13 17:16:13

Someone who makes me laugh and who thinks I 'm alright . Honesty and loyalty are important, my DH is all of those things he also has an outrageous streak, which I love.Dh number 1 had none of these qualities.

Mishap Fri 12-Apr-13 17:34:37

A sense of fun and a desire to enjoy life.

Butty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:01:50

A good, funny, intelligent and sensual man, who uses his intelligence, humour and sexuality wisely and kindly.

Married 39 years tomorrow (40 in total), and looking forward to many more years with him. sunshine

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 19:11:53

I love a man that smells good.

butty congratulations to you and Mr Butty for tomorrow wine flowers sunshine

Butty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:41:32

glass - Oh yes, and that too!

Thanks.

absent Fri 12-Apr-13 19:55:39

Do we all like to think we have the perfect man? I am very well aware that I haven't – much as I love Mr absent.

kittylester A man who thought that I was the pinnacle of womanhood and could do no wrong, a man who wanted to spend every second of every day joined at the hip, a man who had no friends or real relationships elsewhere but invested his whole being in his marriage to me would drive me straight out of the house. Far from perfect, I think he would be stifling, suffocating and utterly destructive about any feelings I may have originally had for him. Fortunately, no man is ever likely to come near to feeling that about me. grin

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 20:06:19

I didn't have a perfect man, but at least he gave me two sons who I think are pretty good - though I'd have to take an opinion from their partners!

glassortwo Fri 12-Apr-13 20:10:05

No mine isnt perfect but he puts up with a lot living with me.

Butty Fri 12-Apr-13 20:13:27

Gosh, no absent. There's no perfection in partnership, thankfully. smile

cathy Fri 12-Apr-13 21:24:13

sunseeker your post gave me goosebumps.

numberplease Fri 12-Apr-13 21:44:20

Clean
Helpful
Loving
Nice natured
Fragrant

And I KNOW that I don`t have the perfect man, even after almost 50 years, ESPECIALLY after almost 50 years!
Congratulations and best wishes to Butty and Mr. Butty for tomorrow.

grannyactivist Sat 13-Apr-13 00:13:58

Butty hope you have a lovely day tomorrow. flowers

Today my husband gave a perfect demonstration of the major quality that attracted me to him:
I'm missing my daughter and the grandchildren due to being in quarantine with this stupid cough, can't visit my poorly son for the same reason, missing my lovely daughter who's in NZ - and trying very hard to keep cheerful whilst actually feeling a bit low. My lovely husband came home after a day's work to find me sleeping on the sofa, he made dinner and then woke me up and asked if I needed a hug. He spoke wonderfully warm words of encouragement to me whilst giving me a tender embrace....... he is very, very kind.

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 00:20:43

How absolutely lovely grannyactivist it sound like you've got a good one there .smile

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 00:22:21

Congratulations Mr and Mrs sandwich Butty smile

harrigran Sat 13-Apr-13 00:31:03

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Butty flowers