Gransnet forums

Relationships

Domestic goddess or domestic victim?

(141 Posts)
gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 12:05:02

I wonder if we can expect an expensive divorce for Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi? (Expensive for Saatchi, I mean) I certainly hope she is talking to her lawyers right now.
It is too easy to assume that domestic abuse and marital violence belong either in a bygone age or in dysfunctional familes where the man is an inarticulate bruiser and the woman a doormat . I apologise now to GNetters who have suffered abuse from their partners as my generalisation is sweeping and inadequate. But isn't it about time that this was "outed" as completely unacceptable and criminal behaviour? I hope she does press charges and that they throw the book at him, Alas, he will no doubt have a smarmy pants barrister to get him off for a megabucks fee. But for the present, I would like Nigella take on her opportunity to be a role model for all victims of domestic violence or abuse.

whenim64 Mon 17-Jun-13 12:24:46

I feel so sorry for her that these pictures have been splashed all over the front pages. I wonder what stopped those who witnessed it from disrupting or challenging, or simply phoning the police? There's a remote chance of a different explanation for what was seen, but perhaps that would have been forthcoming as soon as it hit the papers. I hope she is safe today.

granjura Mon 17-Jun-13 12:39:52

What is going on? Some of us do not have access to the UK press - so links would be useful.

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 12:45:47

Nigella's husband (Saatchi) got so annoyed with her in a restaurant that he grabbed her round the throat, apparently four times. she spoke soothingly and kissed him, but it did not stop him. She left and was later seen leaving her house in a taxi. She has said before that he is volcanic, but it loooks as though this eruption was one too many.

kittylester Mon 17-Jun-13 12:46:40

It seems to imply in one of the papers that the police are taking an interest now and that Charles Saatchi will be interviewed. I know they can, and do, press charges even without the 'victim' being compliant.

I also wondered why people didn't intervene but, on reflection, I'm not sure many of us would. sad

JessM Mon 17-Jun-13 12:55:23

Appalling behaviour. Many of us have put up with domestic violence before finally taking action - either because we felt powerless or because we feared the effects of divorce on children. Or sometimes shame.
She is not powerless. She has a highly successful career and influential friends and relations. Unfortunately now, if she does not press charges, she will be the one that gets blamed.

sunseeker Mon 17-Jun-13 12:58:27

He is now saying this was a "playful tiff" and that he put his hands around her throat "to make his point"! shock. My DH and I had many a "tiff" but he never resorted to putting his hands around my throat.

From the look on her face I think this isn't the first time and I think she is afraid of him. She should leave before things get worse.

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Jun-13 13:09:53

This is horrific but the publicity is useful in a way. To see that someone rich and powerful can also be an abusive husband. It shows the public it is not just the province of the working classes.

Mind you if someone does that stuff in public what are they like behind closed doors.

Sue the B******S off him Nigella!

Lilygran Mon 17-Jun-13 13:15:18

Just playing!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10124976/Charles-Saatchi-says-hands-around-throat-row-with-Nigella-Lawson-was-playful-tiff.html?placement=mid1

Riverwalk Mon 17-Jun-13 15:13:40

She looks so submissive, as though she's used to it.

Deedaa Mon 17-Jun-13 15:35:46

Certainly worrying pictures! I wonder what does go on at home. Even if he isn't abusive he sounds like a man accustomed to throw his weight around and get his own way. I would certainly leave if I was Nigella - who needs it???

JessM Mon 17-Jun-13 15:38:38

Saw photos in Express (in optitian's) She does not look remotely playful. No man plays at strangling his wife in public surely?

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 18:37:20

The thought of an articulate, independent feisty woman "appeasing" a lout like Saatchi is sickening. I understand that she experienced abuse as a child from her mother who (and I hope I am right) had an alcohol problem. Would this then have bred a submissive "people pleaser" type of girl/woman? it is WRONG on every possible count.
This is such a good opportunity to stand up for an abused partner's rights and for women who are less able to take independent action angry

Eloethan Mon 17-Jun-13 18:41:12

Maybe he's got some sort of mental health problem or the onset of dementia. - that might explain why she tried to calm him down. I'm not making excuses, just wondering.

absent Mon 17-Jun-13 19:43:14

Eloethan In my experience, if a man puts his hands around your throat, trying to calm him down so that further damage is not inflicted is almost certainly the best thing to do. Defending yourself violently only leads to more violence and as most men are physically stronger than most women and the man in question is, de facto, aggressive, you are likely to come out of the situation badly. Considerations about dementia don't come into it.

Ana Mon 17-Jun-13 20:42:52

No one else in the restaurant seemed to be prepared to intervene, though...

Grannyknot Mon 17-Jun-13 20:54:39

It just feels wrong and intrusive for someone to have taken those photos, sold them to the Press, people discussing it ... everything about it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Bags Mon 17-Jun-13 21:12:31

It makes me feel uncomfortable too and I'm jolly glad it does! It's gross! Anyone who doesn't feel uncomfortable seeing pictures of a man behaving like that towards a woman is missing something essential from their brain.

I hope that the publicity will help Nigella to ditch the bastard.

Stansgran Mon 17-Jun-13 21:26:31

Wouldn't it be shaming to have a paparazzi as a relative? I always remember the young woman in a woolly hat who shoved a camera into poor Kate's face and the poor girl looked startled. I thought at the time if either had been my daughter I would have advised them to change their career. Nigella I thought was doing what Jackie O did-looked for a safe billet for herself and children. We all reap as we sow.

Marelli Mon 17-Jun-13 21:28:05

He was assaulting her. One of the photos showed a woman twisting around in her seat to try to see better. I hope that if I'd been there, that I would have tried to do something about what was happening - but then, I should imagine, whoever was in charge of the restaurant would have made light of it, because they were who they were...hmm

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 21:30:54

Those who live by the sword publicity shall die by the sword publicity.
And I don't think it is intrusive to take photographs in a public place - they may provide the evidence she needs.Why s hould a person get away with it just because they are rich/a soi-disant celebrity?

absent Mon 17-Jun-13 21:41:51

I think people find domestic violence (I hate that vile term) embarrassing, an attitude that only aids and encourages the perpetrator. In this case, there is the additional frisson (for some) of its involving people in the public eye.

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 22:14:59

What's wrong with *domestic violence"*(the term, I mean , not the concelp)?? "Domestic" means "in the home" and "violence" speaks for itself. I think it is quite descriptive as well as being succinct

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 22:15:48

How on earth did concept come out as "concelp"?? You know what I meant.

Greatnan Mon 17-Jun-13 22:24:39

Stansgran - do you have some personal knowledge of Nigella's reason for marrying Saatchi? Are you saying she deserved this treatment, when you say you reap what you sow?