Gransnet forums

Relationships

Holidays (Yippee dee doo dah!!!)

(65 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 06-Jan-14 22:33:58

I love my parents in law and really enjoy any opportunity to spend time with them. Last year my husband and I had a fortnight together in Greece and the whole time I was away I was thinking that my parents in law would have loved the holiday. I've booked the same holiday again for us this year and just had confirmation that my parents in law are going to join us.........I'm so, so pleased I have a silly grin on my face and actually did a little celebratory jig. A whole fortnight in the sun with three of my most favourite people! grin grin grin
Anyone else thinking about holidays yet?

baubles Mon 06-Jan-14 22:47:11

I love Greece GA sounds like you'll have a lovely time.

DH & I are planning a European road trip this year to celebrate our retirement (his last month & mine at the end of March). The very rough plan is to drive to Greece, stay for a while, ferry to Italy then meander back. We will probably be away 10-12 weeks smile

rosesarered Mon 06-Jan-14 22:52:10

Haven't planned anything yet. How lovely grannyactivist not only to have in-laws but to love them!My parents and in-laws died many years ago.
Never been to Greece except for a quick trip to Athens once. Have a good time.sunshine
baubles your road trip sounds wonderful!

ffinnochio Tue 07-Jan-14 08:25:36

baubles Sounds wonderful. The sort of adventure I'd really enjoy. Love road-trips. smile

ga smiling with you.

ninathenana Tue 07-Jan-14 08:57:02

We are going to Switzerland in 3wks to celebrate my 60th.
We are trying to plan a self catering cottage in UK in the summer with DD, SiL and DGC

GA it's great to have something to look forward to isn't it.

sunseeker Tue 07-Jan-14 09:08:54

Have already booked two holidays - one in March and one in September - I need something to look forward to!!!

Bellasnana Tue 07-Jan-14 09:31:22

We have a trip to the US booked next month. So excited to be visiting our two DD's and little DGD.

Also booked a trip to visit my sister in Kent for August when it gets too hot in Malta.

Gally Tue 07-Jan-14 09:34:18

GA and Baubles your plans sound idyllic.
I am 'on holiday' hmm right now - well everyone asks how I am enjoying my holiday anyway! Washing, ironing, cleaning, child minding with a bit of beach thrown in for good measure. I am already planning for my recovery holiday on my return to the UK! Hopefully a meander up the west coast (Scotland) with a friend and possibly to France to stay with friends near Vaison la Romaine. J and I used to take off for France for a few weeks at a time, but those days are over for me now which is very sad; it wouldn't be the same without him.

Flowerofthewest Tue 07-Jan-14 10:07:51

Certainly am, we are off to Suffolk for a few days on Thursday (a gift from our youngest son) birding and walking.

In March to Devon with mum and DDH for a weeks jolly.

May - volunteering on Island of Skomer for a week

June - 2 weeks in the wonderful Hebrides.

I just love our British holidays.

annodomini Tue 07-Jan-14 10:26:56

Gally, I've spent three holidays with my son and family near Vaison la Romaine and simply love it there. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I know they are going again this year and live in hope... See you there!

ginny Tue 07-Jan-14 11:07:38

We have a two week holiday booked for September.. Canada and Alaska cruise. Not able to book anything else just yet as I am waiting for a date to have a knee replacement. Hopefully we will have some time in Cornwall and Northumberland and maybe a sunny break abroad. grannyactivist How lovely for you. I get on fine with my in-laws but I suspect two weeks being continually with them might change that !

Mishap Tue 07-Jan-14 11:26:46

We have 3 week-long GB holidays booked: Pembrokeshire in May for the St Davids festival (brilliant!); Lympstone in early July (a trip down memory lane for me) and Cotswold water park lakeside log cabin in early September (peace and wildlife and general lazing about).

We cannot venture too far just now as the stress of travelling messes up H's dicky ticker.

I am sure we will have a lovely time.

Nonu Tue 07-Jan-14 11:29:13

We are going to delicious Mauritius for the middle two weeks of February ,
then to the good ole U S of A in May for about 5 weeks
Great anticipation !!!

smile.

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 11:48:31

We are going to Santorini in June. grin Always wanted to go, never thought we would.

glammanana Tue 07-Jan-14 11:56:44

How lovely GA to have something to look forward to and with your fav people as well as super,I do love Greece what part are you going to ? just thinking of all the lovely food makes me very envy

Ariadne Tue 07-Jan-14 12:05:30

All a bit up in the air at the moment, but possible South Aftrica ( to do a follow up on the last volunteer project) and Australia in the autumn. Australia is Theseus' idea, but he's probably right..just not on my priority list. He has, however, built in a quite luxurious stop over in Singapore, and he is 70 next year, so it has to be his choice.

Next year (DV) is our golden wedding. I have plans...

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 12:28:27

Some lovely trips planned here !

Nonu Tue 07-Jan-14 12:41:45

I agree Katy and it is good we have the health & strength to still do these things .
smile

Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 12:52:30

flower I've just looked at the Skomer Island website and the volunteering opportunities - lucky you! (Although I'd hope to pick and choose and not have to do painting - I'd want to do seabird observation smile)

And you were very supportive last year when we went to the Hebrides for our holiday which was magical, so, double lucky you! smile

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 12:52:56

I've just booked flights to Greece for May and Mr Iam is planning a week away in September. How lucky we are.

Anne58 Tue 07-Jan-14 15:17:47

Grannyactivist so very chuffed for you, your delight shines in the OP!

Hope all on this thread have lovely hols!

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 15:33:29

Yes I agree Nonu. Just remembered we are also going to Liverpool to stay in
the Hard Days Night Hotel for one night, and have tickets for a show at the new Cavern club, courtesy of DD, SIL and DGD for Christmas. grin You may have guessed I am a Beatles fanatic.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 17:25:38

Do you know Liverpool KatyK? It's another of our great cities, with its very own character and lots to see.

numberplease Tue 07-Jan-14 17:36:39

Due to all our health problems we didn`t have a holiday in 2013, we are hoping and hoping that hubby can have the stoma reversal op before too much longer, then we can start planning the longed for holiday!

glammanana Tue 07-Jan-14 17:36:50

KakyK Enjoy your stay in Liverpool the Hotel you will be staying at is fab and you will certainly enjoy the surrounding I was over there this last week-end as I live just over the River and visit on nearly a weekly basis,I'll wave to you from my back garden which look's across the River.grin