Gransnet forums

Relationships

Holidays (Yippee dee doo dah!!!)

(66 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 06-Jan-14 22:33:58

I love my parents in law and really enjoy any opportunity to spend time with them. Last year my husband and I had a fortnight together in Greece and the whole time I was away I was thinking that my parents in law would have loved the holiday. I've booked the same holiday again for us this year and just had confirmation that my parents in law are going to join us.........I'm so, so pleased I have a silly grin on my face and actually did a little celebratory jig. A whole fortnight in the sun with three of my most favourite people! grin grin grin
Anyone else thinking about holidays yet?

Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 17:45:13

number something to look forward to and imagine what a joyful holiday that will be.

ga I agree you are lucky to be able to have a family holiday and your delight does indeed shine through. Lucky in-laws too!

Brendawymms Tue 07-Jan-14 17:51:28

Going to the Black Sea in June for a month. Hot, hot hot. Lovely.

Galen Tue 07-Jan-14 18:10:46

It was very cold in september

Kiora Tue 07-Jan-14 18:12:05

Numberplease I hope you get a holiday this year. I will keep my fingers crossed. We love Greece too. It's our favourite destination. We went to crete last year. We have all ready booked to go to the peloponnese in July. It's wonderful to have something to look forward to. Baubles your trip sounds so wonderful. This is a dream we share could you consider doing a little blog( I think that's what it's called) to share the experience and pass on tips. Our long term plans are that we would holiday in Europe while we could afford it. Then a road trip to Greece when we retire. Then when insurance and air travel became too expensive we would see more of Britain and Ireland. Grannyactivist how lovely are you wanting to spend time with your in-laws. My M.I.L would drive me mad. We did go on holiday with my dear aunt & uncle but he's too ill now. They were our favourite holiday companions. I miss them. All your holidays sound lovely. I look forward to hearing all about them in the summer posts. Perhaps I get some inspiration.

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 18:15:03

Iam64 - As a Beatle nut I have been to Liverpool before. I agree, it is a lovely city. On our visit a couple of years ago, we booked through the National Trust to go into John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes.
It was wonderful for me. Glamma - Thank you. I have been seen the hotel, wandered through the foyer but didn't stay there. I will wave back - we are going sometime in June. smile

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 18:59:00

KatyK if you haven't already been to Another Place, the gormley men on the beach, try and fit it in. I expect you have already been, it's one of my occasional escapes with the dogs and a pal, we walk the beach and enjoy the statues. At Christmas they're usually decorated by other people who love the place.

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 19:04:41

Iam64 - No I haven't been but I've seen them on TV and was fascinated. I will put a note in my diary and make a point of going. Thank you.

glassortwo Tue 07-Jan-14 20:04:58

Oh grannya I can feel your excitement, but I have filled up sad ( I have had an emotional day it was my favourite Aunts funeral,) thinking of past holidays with my inlaws and wishing I could turn back the clock and have MIl back so we could do it all again. sad

We are trying to finalise dates for our 2 week summer holiday before DH holiday rota fills up and he gets a rubbish 2 weeks or two split weeks, we will be going up to the house to try to move it on a bit further.

But I did win a hotel voucher from GN a few months ago so we hope to get away for a few day rest and relaxation but its deciding where to go and when we can get away, might manage it for my birthday in February before things get too busy at work.

baubles that sounds like my kind of holiday, I love road trips. smile

bikergran Tue 07-Jan-14 20:33:09

KakyK not sure when your off to Liverpool..but I think it is around June some time that those giant puppets are to come back to Liverpool! it was on North West news tonight but it didnt' say exactly when....I saw them on tv last year and would have loved to have taken GS if poss

baubles Tue 07-Jan-14 20:38:41

Aww Glass flowers

KatyK Tue 07-Jan-14 21:38:49

biker thank you. i would love to see those. i can see us booking an extra night thanks to gransnet!

Sugarpufffairy Tue 07-Jan-14 23:47:10

I had hoped to take all my children and their children to an area we used to go to when the children were young. The upshot was that this was where I wanted to go. I thought my children liked the area and it is also the one place that I know we can either get a holiday home big enough for all of us or small individual cottages so that each family can have their own space and privacy. I was going to pay it all. I was told that they should say where they want to spend their holidays.
I give in! I will go alone and they can make their own arrangements and pay their own travel and accommodation costs. I thought I was being kind and family minded.

grannyactivist Tue 07-Jan-14 23:50:12

Glass I'm sorry about your Aunt. sad
If my parents in law die before me I never want to regret not spending time with them when I could have, they're both very special people (I've often joked that if I'd met them first I would have married their son just to have them for my in laws) and not a day goes by without me counting them as one of life's blessings to me.
In addition to our joint holiday (to Lesvos) we're also spending a week in Christchurch with them and my children and grandchildren. We usually (always really) have our family holiday in Cornwall, so I'm looking forward to rediscovering Dorset (I used to live there).

Stansgran Wed 08-Jan-14 10:27:08

Sugarpuff sometimes you can do no right with children. They can regress so easily. Evidently we are going to n. Vietnam. I thought we were going on a cruise in the Black Sea. After spending all that money on it we are looking at the cheapest ways to get to Gatwick. I don't usually swear but WTF? What is so difficult about arranging a car to meet us at KX station and taking us to our hotel? We've done it before. The thought of tube to Victoria and gatwick express is truly horrible. It's not the suitcases but DH's ability to leave things behind,that his shoulder's bad and that he is limping. Rant over. I know I should be so lucky.....

Rosiebee Fri 10-Jan-14 15:19:21

KatyK, Santorini! I am so jealous. We stopped there for a day as part of a cruise, a couple of years ago, and I still keep a beautiful photo of it as my screensaver on this laptop. You will have an amazing time, just don't forget your camera.
We're attempting to go to Hong Kong, Ko Samui, Bangkok and back to Hong Kong in February. We were booked to go this time last year and had to cancel about 10 days before we flew out as DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer. BUT, following treatment and radiotherapy, our peckers are up and we have rebooked. We were a bit nervous but as our consultant said 'Life is for living' so we're going for it. Came back yesterday from 4 brilliant days in London, and are off to the Lakes tomorrow. Not quite a holiday as DH still has his mum's house there, but a lovely break. We're open to any suggestions and love hearing about everyone's holidays.
Stansgran Two years ago we were flying out to San Francisco from Heathrow. We flew down from Manchester to Heathrow and took the shuttle bus to a Premier Inn. Bus took us back in the morning to pick up onward flight. This year we're flying down to HRow again but then taking shuttle bus to next terminal as flights are only hours apart. We found the shuttle quick and efficient. Don't know if that helps. smile

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jan-14 16:04:17

Stansgran Kings Cross station is next door to St Pancras - you can get direct to Gatwick in about 45 minutes, no changes.

petra Fri 10-Jan-14 18:28:41

I envy you all. I've lost that thrill of going on Holiday. All I want now is the garden that I hope to have if 'our' Bungalow comes off.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jan-14 16:11:14

Yes, I must admit petra the shine of planning holidays has worn off for me as well, but the strange thing is I usually enjoy them once we are there. It's all the 'before' stuff that bothers me! We never [or rarely] go anywhere in the Summer, because we enjoy Summers in the UK, and the garden would suffer in a drought. However, that still leaves 3 other seasons to holiday in.In Winter, the thought of somewhere warm is very appealing, but if going away in Spring or Autumn there are so many lovely places in the UK that I like.Can't afford to have 3 holidays though! Not even sure about 2.

Flowerofthewest Mon 20-Jan-14 17:00:49

Just back from a wonderful 5 days in Suffolk, next break to Lyme Regis with my very good friend Liz. Runrig ;tour in March then off to Devon with mum and DH. Skomer Island (working holiday) in May and my wonderful Hebrides in June/July. I absolutely LOVE my British holidays

annodomini Mon 20-Jan-14 17:30:12

What a schedule, Flower. All lovely places - there's nowhere like Britain; if only it wasn't for the weather. sad

lefthanded Mon 20-Jan-14 21:18:15

We will be going to France for a couple of weeks in June - we have booked our ferry but we haven't decided on a site yet. We don't plan to go very far this year - perhaps Normandy or Brittany rather than Jura or the Haute-Savoie.

Every year we go to the geocachers Annual Mega-Event. This year's will take place in Ayr at the beginning of August so we will take the caravan to Scotland for two or three weeks to incorporate that.

That's all we have planned at the moment. But the joy of having our own caravan is that we can get away whenever we want to, so as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer we will find somewhere interesting to go to.

Flowerofthewest Mon 20-Jan-14 22:23:37

The thing is annodomini we are usually very lucky with the weather, neither of us like it too hot and are both outdoors people, loving the windswept and wild Outer Hebrides (I will try to post a video of my walk to the house in the wind, the best bit is my silly face) Love the birds and visitors on Skomer. The wilder the better for me.

We may take our caravan away now we have a motor mover fitted.

grannyactivist Mon 20-Jan-14 22:27:51

I know what you mean about British holidays Flower - the UK is a beautiful part of the world. I'm very lucky to live in a a seaside holiday destination and am thankful for it every day. smile

annodomini Mon 20-Jan-14 22:57:39

You don't have to convince me, Flower. Brought up on the West Coast of Scotland, I know the joy of walking on the beach in the teeth of a howling gale. I haven't been to the Hebrides - yet.

newist Mon 20-Jan-14 23:00:36

Its a bit wet just now, we have new pond in our garden