Gransnet forums

Relationships

Neighbors take us as suckers!!!!!

(81 Posts)
driverann Sun 24-Mar-19 14:43:19

Our next door neighbors are in their 40s,last Saturday the wife came and asked could she borrow our hoover because theirs was broken and they had some “friends” coming to stay overnight, (swingers). They have visitors every weekend. Sunday came and went then Monday and no attempt was made to bring our hoover back. On Tuesday evening when the wife arrived home from work I went to asked her could we have our hoover back. She replied “Oh do you want to leave it with us and come and get it as and when you need it because we get far more visitors than you do”. I told her in that case she had better buy her own. What a cheek.

Yorkshiregirl Mon 25-Mar-19 10:39:46

Years ago my neighbour's were moving out, and asked to borrow my hoover. When it was brought back it was full to the brim, and seemed to be moving. It was full of fleas !

loltara Mon 25-Mar-19 10:40:08

Collect your Hoover and never lend it again. How rude of them!

Hellsbelles Mon 25-Mar-19 10:42:43

AKA - cf's . . . . Cheeky fu**ers !

driverann Mon 25-Mar-19 10:51:02

Yes just after they moved in ( 3 years ago) the wife told me “we are an open couple and have a large circle of friends so if you hear any grunts and groans don’t get worried it’s only us having a good time” I replied ‘Oh the same goes for us, if you hear us moaning and groaning it because of our arthritis’. They have hinted we are more than welcome to join them. I think they need to go to SpecSavers.

David1968 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:03:56

driverann, please can you clarify? Did you get your Hoover back?

GinJeannie Mon 25-Mar-19 11:13:41

In the 1980's neighbour asked if we had any dust sheets they could borrow as were doing some building work inside the house. Dust sheets duly returned....full of plaster bits and dust...obviously not washed! I gritted my teeth but saw the light when She said they were having a family party and had we got any records to lend them to play! We didn't get invited altho we knew all the family well. Glad to say we've moved house 4 times since then and had wonderful neighbours!

humptydumpty Mon 25-Mar-19 11:19:39

This is exactly like The Simpsons where Homer 'borrows' all sorts from neighbour Flanders and never gives it back!

breeze Mon 25-Mar-19 11:20:15

B9exchange grin

I have a vision of your neighbours husband hoovering like Freddy Mercury in the I Want to Break Free vid grin

We've got pampas in our back garden. Wonder what that makes us hmm

I would Dettol the suction pipe grin

nipsmum Mon 25-Mar-19 11:20:27

I found it is unwise to lend anything as not only have you to ask for it back, it often comes back broken if it comes back at all.

A very old saying from my Mum, Neither a borrower or a lender be.

Theoddbird Mon 25-Mar-19 11:26:14

Hahaha....this has given me a giggle...

Millie22 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:33:21

Very cheeky. I hope you got all the attachments back! or maybe not.

Hazeld Mon 25-Mar-19 11:34:40

What a cheek. You just can't believe the nerve of some people can you?

Margs Mon 25-Mar-19 11:39:43

"we get far more visitors than you do." Eh? I'd wonder what kind of visitors - is she a Madame running what used to be called "a disorderly house"?

Guineagirl Mon 25-Mar-19 11:54:55

Don’t understand just go in and get it, problem solved

4allweknow Mon 25-Mar-19 11:54:57

If she didn't have so many visitors she wouldn't need to use a hoover so much. That is one of the best bits of cheek I've heard for a long time.

Beckett Mon 25-Mar-19 12:02:58

We used to have a "mini kitchen" - a small microwave sized electric oven with two burners on top. A neighbour called in one day and said her stove had stopped working so we lent her our mini kitchen. When we got it back several weeks later it had obviously never been cleaned - baked on food on the burners and the inside didn't bear thinking about - we had to throw it away. Since then I have only ever allowed family to borrow anything.

gillybob Mon 25-Mar-19 12:05:53

I would Dettol the suction pipe

I just spluttered my tea, all over the desk Breeze grin grin grin

leeds22 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:17:02

Loving this thread. Thank goodness we've no pampas grass in the garden.

Elegran Mon 25-Mar-19 12:29:02

annsixty The reason you don't get any offers is because you left the pampas grass in the garden. I have been told that the correct signal is a vase of the fronds in the front window. Get out there with the secateurs.

25Avalon Mon 25-Mar-19 12:50:35

As Shakespeare said and as my grandmother also quoted "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." Make sure you don't lend them anything else or they'll appropriate that as well. Some people are cheeky like that but your neighbours really take the biscuit. "Borrow" your vacuum back and hide it!!

Aepgirl Mon 25-Mar-19 12:59:05

Speechless!

I had a neighbour who borrowed my lawnmower on more than one occasion. When I asked for it back I was told they weren’t going to buy a new one until they were on special offer. I said I couldn’t wait that long.

Tweedle24 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:06:48

I had heard about the pampas grass but, was recently told that an upside-down pineapple is also a code used by swingers. Can’t help looking in peoples’ trolleys in the supermarket now to see if they have got a pineapple in there and, which way up it is!

Lily65 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:23:29

pineapples , hoovers and pampas not withstanding, I'm not entirely convinced by the conversation about the grunts and groans.

Really?! It's no the spanking horse lady back again is it?

Maybelle Mon 25-Mar-19 13:23:35

Beyond cheeky ! Hope you did get it back eventually.
Many years ago my friend borrowed a ring cake tin,
I asked for it back to no avail, turned out her husband had sold it so he could put out a bet on the horses !

NannyJan53 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:36:48

Wow Maybelle that is indeed taking the biscuit...or should I say cake? smile

I remember Mum telling me that way back in the 50's my Dad had a work mate, who every Monday used to ask my Dad to lend him a 10 shilling note, which he duly repaid on Friday (payday). After many weeks of doing this, Dad finally said, keep the money as you have it longer than me, but don't ask again!