Gransnet forums

Relationships

Cheer us all up - what did you do today?

(48 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 25-Mar-20 18:07:18

There is so much (necessary) news about COVID 19 and before that we had floods and 'The Brexit Saga' so I am feeling a little 'maxed out' from doom and gloom although completely obeying advice. Somebody please tell me something nice that has happened to them today. I am fortunate enough to be able to take my daily exercise walking through our (almost population free) country lanes and saw a large bumblebee, a beautiful cherry tree in bloom, a small tit catching a fly in flight and a pheasant. Small pleasures but felt uplifted. What about you?

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 18:20:04

I too went for a country walk, heard a lark, did some gardening, out in the lovely warm sunshine and later on we had our first Zoom meeting woth DS and family. The first of what will be many

nanasam Wed 25-Mar-20 18:23:52

It was a lovely, warm day here in Swindon and after walking the dog I spent the morning out in the garden tidying up a huge but beautiful grass that decided to grow between some block paving stones (don't know how it's come to be so big growing in a 1/4 inch join). Fortunately, it's in a good position so we just let it go. Sat on our decking for our morning coffee (with a drop of brandy in it to keep our energy levels up wink).

DH was repainting the fencing panels and internal gate. We have an area at the side of the house where the wind whistles down so he put up a gate to stop the draughts! It actually works.

Sat in the sun for as long as it stayed warm, had a glass of wine then DH fired up the BBQ and we had chicken skewers with Mediterranean vegetables.

We're really making the most of the warm weather 'cos it ain't gonna last!

The blackthorn down our local dog walking path is bursting out in flower, as are the leaves on the hedgerows. We've had several bumble bees and even a peacock butterfly popped in yesterday.

We have lots to look forward to, to cheer us up, I'm so thankful that we're not heading into winter with you-know-what at the forefront.

Enjoy Spring, everyone! flowers sunshine

crazyH Wed 25-Mar-20 18:35:53

Nothing much - but just a bit 'down' and 'anxious' - the 'what ifs' is bothering me .

MiniMoon Wed 25-Mar-20 18:38:34

It's been sunny all day. I rearranged my sofa cushions and throws, then I went round all my downstairs floors with the vacuum cleaner. Looked in on Gransnet and Facebook before preparing lunch.
After the washing up and a cup of tea, I washed and dried the tablecloths and tea towels for DH to take back to his place of work in the morning. It's a builders merchants and we are unsure about whether it will close.
During the afternoon, I did some crochet and phoned my sister. It's her birthday today, and I had sent her a home made gift. I wanted to know that she had received it safely, and she had.
I've had a home baked bread roll with pastrami and chutney for my tea, and now I'm settling down for the evening with the TV and my crochet until DH comes home at 8pm.

Sar53 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:46:34

We went for a walk along by the sea. I love seeing the sun shining on the water. There were 3 ships on their way up the Thames estuary. We saw a neighbour with her baby daughter, we chatted at a safe distance. A very pleasant half hour.

Curlywhirly Wed 25-Mar-20 18:56:04

Glorious day here in Cheshire, actually got hot! We both took the dog out for her walk and neither of us wore a coat, first time that has happened this year. Saw a few people on the walk and everybody kept their distance and all smiled and said hello. Sat out and sunbathed for an hour - bliss. Saw on instagram that our DGS who is only 2, was sat at the table with his 5 year old sister, whilst she was trying to read her school book to her Mum. He looked thoroughly bored (well he would be!) he suddenly snatched the book, snapped it shut and threw it on the floor. Then gave his Mum a real death stare, as if to say 'well what are you going to do about that?!" I think they may have trouble with him!!

SalsaQueen Wed 25-Mar-20 19:00:44

I did my morning job - Warden of a sheltered housing scheme - chatted to 6 of the residents outside (safe distance), then went home, washed all the cushion covers and the bedding, put it all on the line, got it dry. Then I went for a walk around the block (saw nobody!), and then spoke to son no. 2 on the 'phone (he's working from home). Texted several friends, made dinner. I'm going to have a bath soon and get my clean pyjamas on, ready to get into my clean bed at 11.

bluebirdwsm Wed 25-Mar-20 19:15:48

Went for an hour long walk in the local streets where the magnolias and cherry trees are in blossom and looking gorgeous. Lovely sunny day, no breeze.

I could cross roads so easily, no traffic fumes and everywhere very quiet with hardly anyone about. I could just hear the birds singing everywhere. Passed a few other walkers [at the proper distances] who all said Good Morning with brave smiles and the mood felt sombre.

Back home I changed and washed the bedding so will have a lovely fresh bed tonight. I had a text from my sister who I haven't heard from for ages and a friend left some bread in my porch for me...along with a dark chocolate bounty [not requested] as a surprise.

Spent the rest of the day putting down paving in the garden, tidying up the edges of the borders and pruning in the sunshine.

tanith Wed 25-Mar-20 19:16:35

I took a long walk this morning went to the Polish War Memorial it’s near where I live and before DH died we would either walk or cycle there and sit by the fountains for a while I find it comforting to sit and remember.
Did some gardening had sausage and mash for dinner and put my bins out.

Lucca Wed 25-Mar-20 19:18:10

With the help of my wonderful DS on FaceTime I fixed my Dyson!

vampirequeen Wed 25-Mar-20 19:20:07

Sat in the garden Played with my neighbour's little dog. The dog thinks all it's birthdays have come at once because so many people are available to fuss and play with it. I don't really like dogs but this one won my heart the moment I met her.

Ninarosa Wed 25-Mar-20 19:39:00

I trimmed my fringe, haven't had it so short since I was ten. Then I decided to spruce a couple of tired cotton jumpers up by immersing them in Milton fluid. Now they're both a weird dirty pink colour . Then I climbed upon my mini rebounder and danced ( I use the word loosely) to Maroon Five and Craig David , amongst others.

ginny Wed 25-Mar-20 19:39:07

Put last touches to newly decorated bedroom.

Checked our next door neighbour was ok and had a chat through the back fence.

Spent an hour on FaceTime to DD3 and DGS2 reading stories and chatting.
Lunch in the garden.
Out for our allowed exercise walk, up to the top fields, enjoyed the sunshine and the views.
Moved our cancelled Family break at Easter to next year at no extra charge.
Cooked a roast and ate it.
Now watching TV and doing some crochet.
Not a bad day considering.

Newatthis Wed 25-Mar-20 22:49:54

Fantastic response everyone - keep it up. Tomorrow is another day with more things to be thankful about and I'd love to hear more. Really enjoyed reading all of these which have put me in a very happy mood and hopefully I will sleep better. Hope your day is better tomorrow Crazy H - let us know. Nightnight for now.

Londonwifi Wed 25-Mar-20 22:54:44

Some of your wonderful responses have transported me back in time to a lost world. Thank you.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Mar-20 23:01:27

I worked from home all day today but I had all the windows open and it was so lovely and warm and fresh, so not bad at all! And it was nice to see neighbours out walking and calling across to each other and that made me feel less isolated. I played hookey for an hour and went out into the garden to paint another fence panel. 4 down: 18 to go.

Txquiltz Wed 25-Mar-20 23:06:39

I organized the office paperwork. I thought I had been sensible about what I had kept...wrong! Maybe a fresh start will keep things more organized,

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 04:08:38

Got up very early 5.30 am ish and had my breakfast.

We had morning coffee and then made a dash over to a bulk food place to get some frozen blueberries as daughter couldn't get any at local supermarket.

Came home, went for a walk, lunch then made a big pot of soup enough for 4 days and a large pot of curried sausages for OH. Some of these will go in the freezer.

Did a load of washing, moved some furniture on front verandah and OH and I moved two big pots with palms up near front door.Very heavy but they look nice.

Now having a cup of tea and reading latest news etc.

Caesar salad for my tea/dinner and some chocolate to follow.

oscaro11 Thu 26-Mar-20 11:01:29

Beautiful weather here so ideal opportunity for some gardening. DH cleared our rockery completely and is putting top soil on then we will plant a few bulbs and get some heathers. I pruned our roses and clematis plants, weeded a bed, did some washing and lovely to see it blowing in the breeze; made some soup enough for a few days; watched Poirot on ITV in the evening, bed at 10.00. New day today!

Greyduster Thu 26-Mar-20 12:31:58

We had a brief walk out this morning and intend to settle in for the day; maybe finish off weeding the flower beds and clean some empty pots. I have some self seeded hollyhocks to find a home for. If SiL can find us some celery at the supermarket, DH will make some of his signature soup (it’s not the same without celery!). It’ll keep him out of mischief for a bit!

Newatthis Thu 26-Mar-20 13:35:47

Beautiful day again. DH brought me breakfast in bed - such a delight! Done some chores - mainly washing and now tackling the ironing. Probably off again for a walk down the lanes later. Great that this forum is still going today (thanks everyone) and keeping us all interested realising we can get joy from small things and life is offering some normality. Fatgran57 your palms look lovely.

Lisagran Thu 26-Mar-20 13:45:27

I like your verandah Fatgran - are you in the UK? Looks rather NZ-like.

Lisagran Thu 26-Mar-20 14:05:48

I’ve been faffing in the garden most of today smile

Whitewavemark2 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:23:44

Thinned out the bamboo, fed the host as and reworked the bed over. Worked out where new digitalis and lupin plants are going to be planted.

Washed another bed spread, sitting in the sun, under glass as there is a chilly wind outside.

Had long chats with neighbour and my hairdresser on the phone., and our two next door nurses over the fence. Just thinking of phoning another neighbour to see what’s what.