Gransnet forums

Relationships

My daughter was not invited on holidays.

(38 Posts)
Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 09:13:42

Including a 4 year old seriously limits what the adults can do. I agree with what others have said in that respect. It could really spoil the holiday for the other adults. Take your daughter and grandchild on a separate holiday another time.

25Avalon Tue 05-Oct-21 09:12:48

Yes the holiday is mainly their family and you have been included in the invitation with your partner who is family. It would be rude and unkind not to invite you too. Have you thought would your daughter want to go anyway? She doesn’t know them and she may prefer a different kind of holiday. If she would like to go just ask. It maybe as others have said it isn’t suitable for a 4 year old.

FarNorth Tue 05-Oct-21 09:02:12

The holiday is mainly their family and you've been invited.

I think this is how they are seeing it.

Also, I agree they probably want it to be an adults' holiday.
Just speak to your partner about it.

Bibbity Tue 05-Oct-21 08:53:17

I don't think they've done anything wrong.
The holiday is mainly their family and you've been invited.
Also you want to add a child which will completely change the dynamic regardless of how well behaved the child is.

I think it would be more rude to try and impose a child on others holiday.

There is a very easy and simple solution. You and your daughter plan a separate holiday with her child.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 08:45:13

Yes, to me, a four-year-old is a whole different kettle of fish. The planned holiday may just not be suitable for her. At that age, they have to be closely supervised - and could be incompatible with a nice, relaxed, easy going break!

Shelflife Tue 05-Oct-21 08:41:22

I understand feelings about this , however a holiday just adults may be their plan . Taking even one child on holiday alters the holiday ' feel' . A child puts a whole different view on going away. Please don't miss understand me , I love children! but in this case I can possibly see what your daughter and granddaughter have not been included.
On the positive side remember family holidays can often cause some stress - being all together sounds great but the reality is sometimes different as everyone tries hard to please each other! So your daughter and GD may find that difficult.
As mentioned there is no harm on speaking to your partner about this and then to the rest of the group. If they are not keen on a child going along please don't take it personally . Explain to your daughter then pack your bags and enjoy Greece!

lemsip Tue 05-Oct-21 08:33:04

I think it's a good idea in these situations to reverse the situation.........If you had suggested the holiday how far regards the other parties relatives would you include.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your daughter and granddaughter not being invited. Take them on holiday at a later date yourself. Just my opinion, many will differ

BlueBelle Tue 05-Oct-21 08:32:06

My first thought was that you are going away as a group of four adults but then when I read further and saw that there would be other young people included then yes I think that’s is unfair
The only thing I m thinking is maybe it’s having a child of 4 that makes it difficult and the reason they re not including her BUT that s no excuse for not discussing it with you They shouldn’t have just left the out as if she doesn’t exist

I d sit down and have a talk with your partner it sounds as if you are not being treated as an equal in decisions and that would bother me

Madgran77 Tue 05-Oct-21 08:27:28

I would just say that you would like to invite your daughter and grandaughter and you assume tgere are no objections to that! If there are, discuss those objections. I would chat with your partner first

Mollygo Tue 05-Oct-21 08:27:04

I’d feel a bit put out as well, bit to have had it mentioned, but they may have good reasons. A holiday with a 4 year old is different from one where everyone is adult or almost adult as young children have different needs.
Do they think a 4 year old would make things difficult? E.g Someone (you or your daughter) would need to babysit if you were going out for the evening. Why not just ask them?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 05-Oct-21 08:27:02

Just a quick thought, are you all going to an adults only resort?
I notice that the others are all over 18, so no problems going out eating or drinking etc.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 05-Oct-21 08:24:43

Just tell them that you want to invite your daughter and Grandchildren too.
Then if they say no, you know what you are dealing with, at the moment they might just not have thought about it.

Shanavine Tue 05-Oct-21 08:20:31

My 25 yr old daughter and her 4yr daughter, aka my granddaughter lives with me.
She is a second year college student.
I stay with them half the week, other half i stay with my partner.
That is just the best story.
My partners sister suggested we go on holidays together to Greece, for 10 days in the summer.
So it would be her, her husband, their kids 19,18.
My partner and me and her two kids 21, and 18.
So 7 of us in total.
We are all paying our own way.
Nobody once mention my two girls.
Even though they have came away with us on a staycation for 4 nights this summer.
And one night away also.
I haven't said anything yet
But i feel a bit put out.
I know she's 25 but she's a student, single mum.
I don't mind paying for them myself.
Thoughts?