Gransnet forums

Relationships

How long do you go without speaking to someone?

(89 Posts)
babs53 Mon 19-Mar-18 12:17:35

Does anybody else go days without having a conversation with someone or is this the norm for single, retired women? I do miss menial chit-chat sometimes!

Shinyredcar Mon 19-Mar-18 12:33:02

I think you are in good company, Babs. There are many people who go to the shop or catch a bus simply to speak to someone even at the most basic level.

I sometimes talk to myself just to make sure my speaking equipment is still working! I know people who have dogs or cats so they have an excuse to talk. Shouting back at the radio or TV works, too.

I go for walks and find people are ready for a brief chat. It can be two or three days, though, sometimes, between actually inter-acting with another human.

I think that is what prompted the setting up of the Silver Line. Maybe you could volunteer for them if you miss having a chat?

MissAdventure Mon 19-Mar-18 12:45:27

I can go a few days without speaking to another adult.
If I make a phone call, I sometimes have to check that my voice is working beforehand.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Mar-18 13:29:38

I'm another who can go for days without speaking to someone. I do find I am talking to myself a lot more these days - not sure if it is to ensure my vocal cords are still working, to break the silence or if I am just losing my marbles!

kittylester Mon 19-Mar-18 13:38:19

Could those of you who don't talk to anyone volunteer for Silverline?

wildswan16 Mon 19-Mar-18 13:41:05

I live on my own and can go several days (especially in the winter) without having a conversation with anyone.

It doesn't bother me at all. I am comfortable with my own company but am equally happy to have a good natter when I have the opportunity.

Maybe Gransnet is used by some as an alternative to the "chat over the garden fence" ?

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 14:02:01

I do talk to myself extensively I think

wot Mon 19-Mar-18 14:15:17

I didn't see a living soul for days.

GrandmaMoira Mon 19-Mar-18 14:37:11

I've only lived on my own for one year and have mostly enjoyed the peace and quiet and most important, lack of mess, since my sons left home. Sometimes though the days do seem long without speaking to anyone, though most days there is brief interaction in a shop or on a bus or a phone call.

gillybob Mon 19-Mar-18 14:40:41

I do talk to myself extensively I think

Yes me too BlueBelle I witter away as I'm doing stuff and even answer my own questions shock

Sometimes I am so desperate to speak to another human being at work that I collar the postman !

Thank goodness for GN or I might go doolalley tap !

Anniebach Mon 19-Mar-18 15:41:53

No one has called at my house for several weeks, I can't leave the house . My younger daughter phones every morning when her husband is abroad , but I miss these chats when he is home. I talk to my dogs.

RosieLeah Mon 19-Mar-18 16:03:28

It's reassuring to learn that I'm not alone in not speaking to anyone for days on end. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Guinea pigs are very chatty animals and insist that you talk to them, hence they are quite happy to hear my views on all subjects.

Nonnie Mon 19-Mar-18 16:30:02

Does speaking to DH who never listens count? He nods, says the right thing and then has completely forgotten the conversation next time I bring it up. grin

Bellanonna Mon 19-Mar-18 17:01:03

Nonnie I’m sure thst resonates with many of us ?

Cabbie21 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:25:23

Me too. I know it is very different for those who live alone, but there is very little conversation in this house. DH does not discuss or chat. No animosity, it is his nature. He doesn't listen either. That can be lonely at times.

Suki70 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:43:53

Me too! I have to compete with the newspaper during the day and the TV news in the evening smile

wot Mon 19-Mar-18 18:03:45

I think it's a difficult one...often being with people irritates me but when ive been alone for more than two days, I feel very lonely.
O

MamaCaz Mon 19-Mar-18 18:22:19

I am beginning to suspect that some of us might be married to a serial bigamist, so similar are our husbands grin

Fennel Mon 19-Mar-18 18:25:40

This was a problem I had when we lived in France. Our house was very isolated, and I had to go out in the car to find people to speak to.
Now back in England it's a different problem - there are plenty of people around, but mostly they don't talk. Going for walks I usually say hello to those I pass, but normally their eyes are fixed ahead.
Strangely, the last few days, when the weather has been so horrible and there were fewer walkers, they were much more responsive. Had a few short chats.

SueDonim Mon 19-Mar-18 18:36:50

Not seeing or speaking to another human was the most difficult part of the recent bad weather for my 90yo mum. sad She did make use of her phone, though, to catch up with people. She was glad to be able to get out again once the weather improved, even if just to the shop.

nanpops7 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:38:02

I find with my hubby he just just to me been involed with the grandkids for years .so not much chat going on with him. .. we always say that just how he is ..But now that the grandchildren are growing up , and most times just doing their own thing 7 of them 12 to 26. And one great grand child 2 months old ....I am so lucky really all live In same town ..But see them on and off for their Hugs which is a must every time we see each other 4 boys 12 15 19 19 But never too big to give Nanny a Hug and they do .where ever we are . Same as the 3 girls. 16. 22 ( 26 a mummy now bless her ). But now days u call them my IT I pad or Tablet grand children .. So I see them every day and chat to them on Face book Instagram Twitter Skype . I am glad I have learnt to do this As a few years ago I thought to my self it the only way to go to keep up with them . So my local library helped me so much to get this far ..also helped me keeping in contact with friends .AS NOW DAYS Thst all people do , nit many phone calls just chatting on here ,But where would be without it I think now ., As learning to chat to my husband and relising how much he has took a back seat I am sorry now of course because time has come to try and do something for us .And Believe me it not easy .. In fact it hard work . But we getting their slowley .. He also Into his Tablet and I pad . Reads every news paper and cards playing . So now if I am not careful it be me taking back seat because I just love to chat and more chat .., I love going meeting up with people friends or strangers shopping buses my mobility scottor and just chatting . And now also on here . Just got to take life as it is now days .. And reach out learn new things , join places where you know people are .. Your local library would always have little meetings going on. . Quiz days , book clubs or just topics chats . I go sometimes to these . And Joined swimming club for Health reasons and love it .. Now a few of us have coffee afterwards 2 Days a week. .. But got to say I do support my local library by donations for coffees etc. But I love me fire kindle , So love reading as you can. Tell Also I joined a creative writing class Amanzing .. But never been good at Grammer or spelling , but told to just carry on and I did .. Got 5 stars did 4 of my story’s and read out to a class full of people. ,
Tears in deeed and you Hubby and family were all so Proud for giveing it a go and for also for trying to move on , and takening my retirement in a better way .. I did not enjoy giveing up work , hated it in fact ,,Worked on a Milatery base for 32 years. With my hubby with our catering Trayler which was our life ...Metting so many young trainees Growing up through the years . Basics to start with than following their careers to be what ever they wanted in the RAF.
So the chats were with so many people over the years , I think hubby and myself just stop talking for a year or more because we missed it so much we were the young Basic mentors .,As soom were first time away from home and over the years we found that home sickness was def their and affecting their traning . So the C Officers over the years asked us to just simply be there for them that needed a little chat .And I think that was so many . So we become Mum Dad , Aunt Uncle , Friends to the older ones , as years went on we now become Gran and Granddas ... Than worked stop did not mind that really ,But I So so missed the Young and a# they got older years went by for them and they came back for courses . We heard so many story’s of their life’s and Become Mums dads children. Post abroad fighting somenot coming back .It was our life and boy did I miss it more then my husband .. So you got to get out their and still
Live fins things to do because you can . Don’t be lonely or sad . Please try it can work. God bless all x

nanpops7 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:45:30

Sorry to all my letter is so long I just got carried away it a problem that I need to stop and slow down and check before I send but enjoy I’d possibke my story ... what shall I call it ..Cool Nanny always into to something and that true ! Another idea I just thought off I love going to our local The
THEATRE once again friends can be made their so no eacuses really. Take care x

kittylester Tue 20-Mar-18 06:46:20

www.thesilverline.org.uk/

Esther Rantzen set up Silverline (link above) to try to help combat loneliness in older people.

Anniebach Tue 20-Mar-18 09:15:42

nanpops, some here are widows, some cannot get out to the library or anywhere else , some are full time carers for husbands

luluaugust Tue 20-Mar-18 09:39:08

I agree with Anniebach if you can get out at all then, as we discuss many times on GN, you have a wide choice of things to join to get talking but the difficult one to solve is those who can't go out. Many people are not attached to a church now, I know when I was young my non-conformist parents did a lot of house and hospital visiting to those on their own and enjoyed lots of chat and laughter plus the inevitable cups of tea.