Gransnet forums

Relationships

Another row brewing.

(49 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:22:25

MY daughter hung up on me this morning although I don't think I did anything wrong.She had invited me,my son and his wife for Christmas as she doesn't want to travel with the babies.
My other son always does things with his in laws so no one even thought of including him.However now he is annoyed and says his wife will feel hurt.The house is small so if they went they would have to book in somewhere.
I am getting the blame but I think daughter could have told him.

Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 11:25:47

August 22nd? Christmas? families upset......sorry but whats the point?

wildswan16 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:40:36

They are all adults. Your son is perfectly capable of talking to his sister and making whatever Christmas arrangements they want. Toddlers could behave better.

Sara65 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:43:09

Just take a step back, this is not your problem, they’re behaving like children

Sara65 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:44:02

And why is anyone thinking about Christmas arrangements?

jura2 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:46:49

oh my, just noticed, August 22nd- my Dad would have been 106 - just 10 years since he passed. Families are not easy- but when it is too late, it's too late FGS.

kircubbin2000 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:53:14

Sara 65 we need to book flights before prices rise.

quizqueen Thu 22-Aug-19 11:53:44

Your other son always chooses to spend Christmas with his inlaws i.e. he couldn't care less about his own family, but now He is upset that he hasn't been invited to his sister's!! Why does he need defending? You daughter didn't want YOU to be alone for Christmas and she is supposed to be the one in the wrong. I don't understand why the invitation to you was even mentioned to him in August.

Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 11:59:12

Why do people give so much importance to 24 hours in the middle of winter?

Apologies to Christians, that is a very different thing.

jaylucy Thu 22-Aug-19 12:02:35

Whatever I think that you couldn't win!
If your son usually spends Christmas with his in laws, why is he getting upset? Just so he could be asked and to answer that he would be going elsewhere?
I can understand your daughter not wanting to travel with little ones, or I would suggest that you all go to a hotel!
However, suggest you tell your son to ring your daughter and they can sort it out for themselves and stop acting like spoilt brats!

ginny Thu 22-Aug-19 12:04:42

Leave them to sort it out themselves the are ( supposed to be) adults.

Minniemoo Thu 22-Aug-19 12:07:48

Tell them you are allergic to discussing Christmas at this time of year

Sara65 Thu 22-Aug-19 12:13:26

Kircubbin

Oh I see, still not your problem though!

MissAdventure Thu 22-Aug-19 12:25:29

Leave them to argue it out amongst themselves.

None of it is your problem.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 22-Aug-19 14:27:39

Who is blaming you? If it is your son, tell him to grow up and behave himself. He apparently hasn't wanted to spend Christmas with you or his sister for years, so what is so special about this year?

I understand full well why Christmas is being talked of already - we had to too, as long as my mother lived, and you said you have to make travel arrangements.

I fail to see why you should be made to feel guilty for mentioning your plans to your son.

Opal Thu 22-Aug-19 15:35:06

Bloody Christmas in August? Seriously? Anyway, I think it should be cancelled permanently, complete waste of time, causes headaches, grief and family arguments all in the name of religion, which the majority of people have no time for any more. Think I'll start a "Cancel Christmas" petition grin. Maybe my username should have been "Bah Humbug"! grin

BlueBelle Thu 22-Aug-19 15:41:16

Oh no I can’t bear hearing the C word I do understand you have to book tickets but how did he know he hadn’t been invited I presuming you told him and because you say your daughter hung up on you I presuming you told her that that he was upset
The daughter and son need to sort it out you need to stay well out of it all I know where your coming from though easier said than done

Scribbles Thu 22-Aug-19 16:38:10

Opal, can I be the first to sign your petition? wink

notanan2 Thu 22-Aug-19 16:40:47

I think you only have yourself to blame if you are relaying messages between your son and your daughter.

If your son is upset with your daughter tell him to be an adult and speak to her directly, not through you!

kircubbin2000 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:02:53

Yes my fault for mentioning it to son. His wife gets very huffy and I should have known better.Also daughters fault for not realising din law might be miffed. Can't really win as last time d in law was invited she didn't enjoy it and thought the boys drank too much.

mcem Thu 22-Aug-19 17:14:50

I have told all 3 AC that I will not relay messages!
I explained that I don't want to be stuck in the middle. Don't wish to be the messenger who gets shot. Will not be seen as 'taking sides'.
They accept this and also accept the reminders when necessary!

annep1 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:54:50

Daughter was rude to hang up on her mother.
I suggest you tell your son to ring his sister.
What a shame this has happened. It was a nice idea of your daughters. Honestly, nothing is ever simple with children!

Joyfulnanna Thu 22-Aug-19 18:01:19

I agree with annep.

Sara65 Thu 22-Aug-19 18:02:02

Annepl

Well it’s certainly hard to keep them all happy at the same time!

kircubbin2000 Thu 22-Aug-19 18:03:02

At least mine usually get over it. I have a friend whose daughter hasn't spoken to her for 3 years. She claims not to know why and the kids return her gifts.