Gransnet forums

Relationships

Birthday present for colleague

(17 Posts)
Nata Tue 25-Feb-20 12:05:56

I have a colleague who is not quite a friend of mine but we communicate practically well. Her Birthday is right around the corner and I think about something nice yet neutral for her. I thought about a book but I can't be sure she will like the book of my choice, can I? Same with theater tickets. Other than that, no ideas.

timetogo2016 Tue 25-Feb-20 12:29:57

A yankee candle/flowers/chocolates/Boots voucher/wine/take her out for lunch.
Hope that helps Nata.

MaggieMay69 Tue 25-Feb-20 12:42:18

I love a candle! I was gifted a Yankee candle called Fresh Cut roses and its perfect...I get bad migraines and I'm so sensitive to smells but this is truly lovely, so natural and looks very pretty too! x

FearlessSwiftie Wed 26-Feb-20 06:29:03

Candle sounds good! I gave my colleague a desk photo calendar with egyptian maus, she adores them. I didn't find such calendar in the shops though, so I did it myself. And I also support the lunch idea. If you know what she likes it will be great, just make sure she isn't allergic to some meals.

notanan2 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:08:49

I say dont do it. Makes things awkward for them when it comes to your and others birthdays. People often dont LIKE getting gifts from colleagues incase it sets a precident thats awkward to stop

Davida1968 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:19:16

I agree with notanan2. The setting a precedent issue. (If you do go ahead, then please be aware that while some people love scented candles, others don't - so you'd need to be absolutely sure regarding this .)

Bubbe Wed 26-Feb-20 08:28:46

A card is absolutely fine without a gift.

I agree buying a gift could be setting a precedent that others find uncomfortable. I would only go so far a possibly bringing in some home-made biscuits for all to tuck into.

sodapop Wed 26-Feb-20 08:30:15

Yes I agree with notanana2 as well. You would be setting a precedent that could make your colleague feel awkward. If you do decide to go ahead then a book token would not be too personal.

notanan2 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:34:10

Agree with Bubbe that treat food to share is fine

GagaJo Wed 26-Feb-20 09:55:34

I'm not so keen on candles. I think flowers are always a good option as well as chocolates, although they are both a bit impersonal. Either a meal out if you're friends OR a meal voucher is nice.

Oopsminty Wed 26-Feb-20 10:00:24

If your want to give a gift, feel free to do so.

Many of us like candles, but flowers and chocolates as GagaJo days are very welcome and less contentious

Colleague of mine loathed candles!

jusnoneed Wed 26-Feb-20 10:20:45

Not something I would start either, just give her a card to mark the day.

I hate smelly candles, cannot even take the smell when walking near them in shops.

Daisymae Wed 26-Feb-20 12:13:14

Voucher would be a good Idea, especially if there's a chain restaurant in your area. Apart from that small bunch of flowers are always appreciated

Sussexborn Wed 26-Feb-20 12:31:47

Do you have other colleagues working with you? What is the ethos around Birthday gifts? It could become awkward.

Chocolates or biscuits that can be shared possibly? A plant or flowers? A card with a personal message might be welcome. Nothing too cumbersome.

Can remember being a temp in an office where they gave expensive gifts and one poor woman confessed to me that she really struggled financially but didn’t want to appear tight fisted to her colleagues.

rosenoir Wed 26-Feb-20 12:33:49

How long has she been a colleague?

Did she buy you or other colleagues a birthday or Christmas gift?

If not then it seems as though she would want to remain colleagues and not friends.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Feb-20 14:00:38

Just stick with a card. It just gets to be a merry-go-round of gift giving, and I for one would not have wanted that. Take in a little individual cake if you want, but as so many now are vegan, gluten free, lactose intolerant etc. there again perhaps not.
Yes, just a card!

??

TrendyNannie6 Wed 26-Feb-20 14:03:58

Just a card is fine