Gransnet forums

Relationships

Picking up energy from people

(79 Posts)
ineedamum Mon 28-Sep-20 20:01:33

Hi, twice now in a certain person's presence, I have felt as if I was going to topple over as I was so lightheaded. This person is loud, doesn't stop talking but they're not a bad person but draining. Is this a coincidence or can people have this effect?

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 20:10:14

Oh yes, most definitely some people can be so overbearing and overwhelming in ttheir personality, that they make you exhausted and light headed; almost like having a panic attack. I can think of a couple of people like that. Similarly, I can think of others who are so negative, depressive and so absorbed in whatever miseries they have going on in their lives that they seem to suck the very oxygen out of the room. Both should be avoided if at all possible.

Starblaze Mon 28-Sep-20 20:12:51

You might find this helpful. Not saying you are introverted and definitely nothing wrong with that, I'm an introvert most of the time.

It might explain the energy drain though

ashleyjanssen.com/articles/an-introverts-guide-to-maximizing-energy-through-intention

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 20:14:51

Must be more sensitive than me, that’s never happened in my experiences I ve noticed it of course and disliked it but it hasn’t physically affected me

Doodledog Mon 28-Sep-20 20:34:53

I've known people whose negativity has drained energy from me. I shared an office with one for a few years and it was exhausting. I would go in to work feeling upbeat, but leave feeling fed up and tired, because of her constant moaning and complaining about everything.

People who make you (well, me anyway) laugh, who have a positive outlook, and who are more often in a good mood than a bad one are energy givers, whilst 'moaning myrtles' drain it away.

Antonia Mon 28-Sep-20 20:45:23

Absolutely. I knew someone like this. She was so loud, so dramatic and pessimistic, she overwhelmed me and once nearly reduced me to tears - I couldn't cope with her vehemence.

ineedamum Mon 28-Sep-20 20:57:46

Thank you, I'm definitely an introvert. I was surprised with this person as it happens within minutes of when she speaks, but the effects calm down quickly.

I also find negative people draining. I spoke to a neighbour for first time, never again, starving you of oxygen is a fabulous phrase,

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 21:01:00

ineedamum people are like plumbing: some are radiators and some are drains. grin

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:02:44

Some people cheer you up when they arrive, some cheer you up when they leave.

MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 21:06:27

Chewbacca
We call them oxygen thieves ?

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 22:27:17

We call them oxygen thieves ?
Never happy unless they're miserable! grin

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 22:31:03

Radiators or drains.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 22:58:14

Yes, some people just drain you!

On the other hand, very occasionally someone has a voice which is soothing, lovely and can send a tingly feeling through you, starting with your scalp. Just lovely.

I think it's called autonomous sensory meridian response, or ASMR

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:05:55

I was going to make a thread (post?) about peoples voices, and who qualifies as having a lovely speaking voice.

David Attenborough for me. Is that how you spell it? It looks too long.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 23:29:11

Tom Conti, Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins and Peter Ustinov all had/have beautiful soothing voices. <<zzzzzz>>

geekesse Mon 28-Sep-20 23:30:04

I refer to such people as ‘dementors’.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 23:30:34

Just realised.... only men in my list. Can't think of any woman's voice that I find soothing or calming.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:39:42

I used to love Fenella Fielding's voice in "Carry on Screaming".

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:40:28

I'd better make a separate thread.
Sorry!

Chewbacca Tue 29-Sep-20 00:01:06

Fenella Fielding purred! Yes, start a thread MissA. We could do with some light relief.

Fuchsiarose Tue 29-Sep-20 00:21:39

I find I can pick up phone and two people in my family talk non stop without coming up for air in a one sided conversation. One even does the mannerisms of someone she is talking about as if I can see the face mannerisms. Does anyone else have these one sided conversations. I can put phone down and get a drink to come back and they are still talking at me, not even realising I am elsewhere.lol

Hetty58 Tue 29-Sep-20 00:49:13

Starblaze, very interesting! I did the test (not sure it's accurate though) and came out 'The Logician' but only 53% introverted. I'm surprised, as I always thought I was much more of an introvert.

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 03:15:45

Fenella Fielding! What a woman!
Carry on Screaming is by far my favourite Carry On. (No Sid James or Barbara Windsor.)
Best male voice- Roger Allam
(Swoons.)

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 03:20:56

Re extrovert/ introvert.
I recommend that everyone does the Myers-Briggs test. It's fascinating and very accurate.
Google '14 personality types'.
I'm an INFJ which is the rarest type.
I am pathetically proud of this!blush

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 03:26:40

ineedamum
It sounds like you could be an empath.
See also 'Highly Sensitive Person'
(It is a thing, I'm definitely one).
Just thought of another male voice to add to the list - Joss Ackland.