Gransnet forums

Relationships

Who decides what in your relationship when it comes to your home

(24 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Mon 21-Jun-21 16:22:40

Been with my hubby for 10 years and recently got our own house. It has been my husband's dream since we've been together so I completely get why he is excited and I am also very happy as well. But I feel he is getting too carried away by making his own decisions on how to decorate the house. He has done DIY things which I'm thankful for and I've cleaned it all thoroughly and done some minor decorations but he is planning bigger things without asking me first. He comes across saying this is what we are doing - this, this, this etc. I said so you've already made your choice then and he said what do you mean and I said well you've already decided exactly what you want doing to this house and then he goes well tell me what you want then so I told him I don't want to knock down x and y but then he said well there's no point keeping this, is there? He has chosen how to decorate as well. I told him I had ideas in my head and what he thinks but he just says no we should keep it the way it is. I saved websites on refurbishing the kitchen but deleted all of it and said we're ripping the whole kitchen apart. I wanted to buy some beautiful curtains to match the front room but he said no, leave it because they're not nice and you leave all of that to me, I will have a look. I am feeling quite crap to be honest because it is my house too and I should also get a say in it. sad

greenlady102 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:27:55

have you sat down quietly with him and discussed how you are feeling? because your report on how you have discussed it sounds a bit spikey on both sides?

Itsawelshthing Mon 21-Jun-21 16:31:08

greenlady102

have you sat down quietly with him and discussed how you are feeling? because your report on how you have discussed it sounds a bit spikey on both sides?

Yes we have but I think the issue we have is that we both got different tastes. Some things he likes is not to my taste and vice versa. Completely the opposites we are x

grannyrebel7 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:38:20

Welcome to my world! My DH always wants the opposite to what I want as well. Usually with decorating he's not that bothered though. Good luck, make sure to state you case firmly but fairly and try to compromise if possible.

greenlady102 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:46:54

10 years and you two haven't learned to compromise?

MerylStreep Mon 21-Jun-21 16:50:38

From what you’ve said it has nothing to do with being opposites and everything to do with him dismissing your opinions and wants out of hand.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 21-Jun-21 16:54:49

You are showing all the signs of being door-matted. Sorry. It’s your house too so just tell him that.

Judy54 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:03:02

Hello Itsawelshthing congratulations on buying your own home. Presumably you both chose the house together so it is right that you should also choose the décor together. How about taking a room each you decide say how you would like the sitting room decorated and he decides on how he would like one of the bedrooms decorated. Of course it would be best to sit down and discuss choices together but if there is no compromise at least you each get control over at least one room. It may be worth a try.

nadateturbe Mon 21-Jun-21 17:17:57

Compromise is ideal but Judy54 has also made a good suggestion. I don't think you sound spiky. He is being too bossy and not taking into account what you would like. I wouldn't give in to it, definitely not. Especially with big decisions like new kitchens. It's too important.
Sometimes I just bring things home and say I liked these curtains so I bought them. Ditto other soft furnishings. Why don't you try that?

CanadianGran Mon 21-Jun-21 17:35:25

Have you thought of professional help - a decorator or interior designer? A good one will take both of your tastes and find a solution that makes you both happy. Well worth the extra money it it keeps a happy relationship.

Gingster Mon 21-Jun-21 17:42:05

My DH. Has no interest in home decor or furnishing but always says ‘ oh no I don’t want/like that. I have always battled for what I want and he always likes it after the event. Even telling people ‘this is the best ‘ (whatever) ??. He just doesn’t like spending money ?

Lovetopaint037 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:43:50

It’s great he is enthusiastic and willing to do stuff BUT we believe it is good to discuss and then arrive at the wife’s decision. Who does most of the cooking? If it’s the wife then she should have the last word and vice versa. Who does the majority of cleaning? Whoever does gets the last say unless it is truly a joint chore. We think it works best if I am a project manager and dh follows my wise directions. Been married for 61 years and that is the conclusion we have come to rely on. Don’t I sound ‘Oribble? The secret is don’t let him know all this as it’s best if he thinks it is his idea to leave choices to me.

timetogo2016 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:54:02

Well personaly if he wants to make all the decisions, he can decide what he`s cooking for you both everyday and cook it too.
Job done.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 17-Jul-21 08:29:29

Oh dear itsawelshthing , being married in our eyes is compromising , your husband sounds controlling to me, I would be putting my foot down, you both live in the house not just your husband, by the sound of it he wants to take control of literally every aspect of it, has he always been this bossy? My heart goes out to you,

Sara1954 Sat 17-Jul-21 09:02:36

I think you have been very reasonable, and your husband is being very unreasonable.
In our house, I always run things passed my husband, but ultimately, I make all the decisions, though sometimes he might come up with something I hadn’t considered.
He’s always happy with the results, but thinks I seem to spend an enormous amount on curtains!
If you both have strong opinions, I guess you are both going to have to learn to compromise, but please don’t let him walk all over you, he will take away the joy of having your own home.

Redhead56 Sat 17-Jul-21 10:08:14

We both had our own homes when we married so we had plenty of furniture etc. I usually decide on decor and furnishings because DH is not really practical or creative. It has always been me wearing the tool bag and doing the decorating. He usually likes things just the way they are as he does not like to spend a lot of money.

However since Covid my DH has realised we are not going to live forever. We have got plans underway and ongoing for some much needed changes in house and garden.

Unless I am mistaken I think you posted recently about DH telling you what to wear? You could be more assertive as your DH seems a strong character. Tell him his ideas are good but you are going to be involved in decisions whether he likes it or not.

BBbevan Sat 17-Jul-21 10:26:26

We do and always have decided things together. Your DH has no right to dictate what you wear, where you live. This is not Victorian times. Just stand up for yourself.

BigBertha1 Sat 17-Jul-21 10:35:19

Oh dear itsawelshthing you need to nip this in the bud before you are completely disempowered. Sit this man down and give him a good talking too. Its 50:50 in this house.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 17-Jul-21 10:48:55

My DH used to want everything his way, we still have his parents furniture, but I paid and chose what to recover the 3 piece suite in. I have done most of the decorating including his tastes. Maybe you should allocate rooms for him to decide on and what you should have free reign with? Kitchen should be decided by who does most cooking. In this house it's me!

Good Luck

glammanana Sat 17-Jul-21 10:59:17

Itsawelshthing I have always had the choice when it comes to decor and furniture my job before retirement was selling new homes so had an eye for what looked good and what didn't.
My late husband's mantra was always "happy wife happy life" I don't ever remember him saying he did't like my choices in the 45yrs we where married.
Put your foot down now as this man sounds as though you will be controlled in the years to come.

sodapop Sat 17-Jul-21 12:44:47

Generally a joint decision, my husband is better with structural issues and I do soft furnishings and decide on colour schemes. Usually works well but we have had some disputes. grin

MerylStreep Sat 17-Jul-21 12:50:03

Can I just say that itsawelshthing has addressed this issue in her other thread ( clothes)

Patsy70 Wed 21-Jul-21 19:18:58

It is all about compromise. My OH freely admits that I am better at colour schemes, interior designs etc. than he is. However, I tend to select 3 colours, styles, options etc. and he has an input to the decision. It has worked for 20 years, most of the time.

cornishpatsy Wed 21-Jul-21 20:13:03

Very difficult to compromise on decor, one wants black, one white grey is a compromise so nobody is happy.