Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sensing his silent resentment, should I go back to work?

(22 Posts)
Sensiblesailing Wed 04-Aug-21 15:02:54

Please help me decide if I should go back to work. This is my first post and probably too long of one. Sorry.

My husband's job in the corrections field took a downturn in Colorado and he was able to take a job he really enjoys in Kansas which required us to move. He doubled his income to make up for my income and I retired. He loves working with the other nice men at his new job, and he is well respected in his work where he does a very good job and he takes a lot of pride in his work.

So, four days before the pandemic, I retired after 50 years of office and sales work in four states. I had worked hard, climbed my way up the ladder again and again, while we raised our three sons and I volunteered at our church for many years. During most of that time, my husband's corrections work, unfortunately, kept us apart. Our hours were offset, and we didn't see each other often.

To help with finances, we returned to our home state of Kansas, where the cost of living is less, from Colorado where I was very well adjusted. In Kansas, we bought a nice home which my husband really likes. The home required my hard work to paint and remodel what I could but it is nice. I left a beautiful expensive home in the mountains, a job I mostly liked in a fun tourist town, all my friends who were very supportive (I lost two grown sons and am getting grief therapy but finally feeling better), and came to a town where I didn't know anyone and there is nothing to do. We are much closer to family, including grands and gr-grands), but I could not see much of my family due to covid. I left my only remaining son and his family (a beautiful granddaughter) in Colorado. Ofcourse, that was very hard. The only payoff for me was I got to sleep in after 50 yrs of getting up at 6 am and I would see more of my husband who I made very happy with the move. I'm not a self starter but adjusted by pampering myself and helping my mother, while we wore masks. She's 86 years old and self-sufficient. I finally found a church home after a year and a half. I tried many times to fit in at a couple of churches which were not a good fit.

My husband is six years younger than I am and is still working at age 62. He has a physically demanding job and is up at 3 am, starts work at 4:30 am, gets off at 2 pm and is hungry and needs to sit down. He is in good physical condition but the labor seems to be hard on his body. He is too tired to do much after work. We eat an early dinner, ride around our small town in our fun golf cart, and he's in bed by 7:30 pm. He will probably continue to work for three or four more years to pay down debt before retiring.

I'll be 68 this year but Im told I look like I'm in my 40s. I'll pass for a hiring age, even though we all know employers should not discriminate against the aging. I could go back to work and help him pay off the debt. He would come home sooner and we could travel in our RV (we do go for weekends together ❤ in our RV). He would not be getting up at 3 am and not be so tired if he was retired or cut his hours back.

My husband says no to the question of my returning to the work force. I am in good health but don't care to go back to work because of the stress of it all. I would try it again to shorten the wait so he could retire earlier. I am somewhat disappointed he gave up his military pension after 17 years in the Navy. He could have finished in the reserves but quit. He would be fully retired now.

At times, even though he doesn't admit it, I feel like he is resentful of my being home. For instance, even though I have figured out how to stay busy with pacing myself between household chores, neighborhood walks, Bible studies, etc., he will ask me (slight tone), Did you do this? Did you do that? If I say no, he jumps to it and does it himself (like I'm worthless). I can seldom please him. I find that very demeaning. As long as I get his dinner, wash his clothes and water the garden, I "pass his inspection" and he hops on his phone after the golf cart ride and then he goes to bed. I'm up until about 10 pm. No romance. We still get along pretty well and we plan an anniversary trip late in September. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
P.s. my chiropractor who is working with helping me to reduce cholesterol due to stress (grief therapy called NET) knows about the critical remarks and infrequent displays of temper (prayer has stopped the criticism) told me to dump him. ? I've been married 37 years, and I think I should hang in there and not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I love him and we are friends. Pretty frustrating and I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks again.

Allsorts Wed 04-Aug-21 15:06:05

If it were me I would work so he had less years to work.

Sensiblesailing Wed 04-Aug-21 15:09:01

Thank you!

PinkCosmos Wed 04-Aug-21 15:24:23

Could you get a part time job? Do you need to work full time to earn enough to enable him to work fewer hours himself?

In the UK businesses seem to be less ageist. Our local DIY store has several older people working there. Hospitality businesses here are really struggling to find staff. I don't know whether this is the same in the USA. I don't think you would have an issue with your age if you went back to office work, provided you have kept up with the technology. I work in admin and a colleague of mine retired last year at the age of 74.

If your husband has worked away for years, it is hard to adapt to being together all the time. It will take a while for you to adjust to this as well as being in a new state.

I agree with your comments about the chiropractor saying you should dump him. 37 years is a long time. I find it quite offensive that people's knee jerk reaction to someone having martial problems is 'dump him'. You need time to adjust to your new circumstances as well as your grief.

Hope you can work this out.

PinkCosmos Wed 04-Aug-21 15:26:06

Forgot to say. I was out of work at the age of 50. I signed onto a job agency and they found me work straight away. I eventually got a permanent job but I know people who worked on and off through the agency when it suited them.

Polarbear2 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:28:45

I’d take some time out and go back to the mountains for a break. See how it feels for both of you. I wouldn’t go back to work at 68. You’ve done enough! Good luck. These things are never easy.

Redhead56 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:32:02

Your husband has been in the military and works in corrections. Therefore he is used to discipline order and routine. If you usually get on well maybe he is just impatient things are not done quick enough.
You have retired and he probably wonders why things might be left undone. Also he might be feeling his age we all do after all in different ways. If you decide to work make it close to home and part time even something different from your past occupation.

Calendargirl Wed 04-Aug-21 15:32:22

Yes, as PinkC says, could you get a part time job, nothing stressful and no early starts maybe, to help reduce any debt, enabling your DH to retire a couple of years earlier?

If you are reasonably happy together after 37 years, not a reason to just dump him surely?

Baggs Wed 04-Aug-21 15:57:31

Ask him if he actually does feel resenful. Don't assume it.

Galaxy Wed 04-Aug-21 16:35:56

I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest leaving someone who wont 'let' you return to work but who means about you being at home.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 04-Aug-21 17:35:15

I would find part time work of some kind to help your husband retire earlier. Just tell him you’re doing it and why. It can’t be easy for him to be working hard while you’re out having a walk and reading your Bible and then you haven’t got everything done when he gets home. Part time work would still leave you time for the chores and cooking dinner and might leave you wanting to go to bed a little earlier. This daily ride in a golf cart sounds incredibly boring. Do you have to do that every day? Can’t you use the time to do something together? You say you have therapy, and I’m sorry for your loss, but do you think your husband might also need this? Is he trying to shut his grief out by spending time on his phone and going to bed early?

HolySox Wed 04-Aug-21 17:49:23

You say in your previous situation your jobs "'kept you apart". In your current situation you are now always there. Maybe your husband is jealous you get " me time" but he doesn't. Of course when you both retire then it maybe you'll naturally work out time together and time apart but for now that is difficult as you probably need his company more at the minute.

As always, start by talking. Talk about your future retirement together. Certainly talk about you returning to work so that day will closer. Pray it works out for you both.

welbeck Wed 04-Aug-21 20:01:21

but he's not going to bed early if he has to get up at 3am.
and he's bound to be tired, with unsocial hours and his age.
could you go stay back in Colorado for a while, say a month, at your son's or a friend's.
might help you see the situation more clearly.
good luck.

timetogo2016 Thu 05-Aug-21 09:25:11

I wouldn`t be told what i can or can`t do.
You should do what you want to do,it sounds like he is.
What`s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
And if he doesn`t like it ,tough.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Aug-21 10:21:25

Do you really want to work or is it only the idea of freeing him up sooner?

Is there anything you can cut back on to allow a bit more to go into paying-off?

I can see he is likely to be weary but the "have you done" question is hard.
I don't know what these jobs are but could you maybe ask him which of the (many) jobs he feels are most important, make a list and do the top ones first.
There's always one job more important than the rest.

This is a new life for both of you. Why not sit down for a chat about how it's shaping up (in general) and what are the pros and cons for both of you?
Together you can work it out.

flowers

Babs758 Thu 05-Aug-21 12:55:55

From his attitude it doesn't sound like he is good company anyway if he comes home tired and goes to bed early... Maybe for the sake of your sanity you need contact with other people and a part-time job would help you with that and also give you some income of your own. But sitting down and talking it through is always a good first move!

Sensiblesailing Fri 06-Aug-21 03:56:26

Thank you. I'm new in this forum and so amazed that people care enough to respond. Love that. Something happened. I asked for prayer. When he got home he was much more relaxed, fun, and cheerful. He helped me plan our upcoming anniversary trip, something more to my taste, and took my family to dinner. I'm seeing a bit of irresponsibility on my part here and think I will "get the led out". Hebsays there's nothing wrong. I think I may get a part time job to structure the extra spending so we can not be as wasteful and focus more on the paydown. Thank you very much!

Sensiblesailing Fri 06-Aug-21 04:03:35

I really appreciate your comments. Sometimes he's not much fun and he's tired. Who is, really. He has had a bit of a spiritual kind of breakthrough sinxe the post and his attitude has improved. I am going to work on a plan for a happy medium to help him financially and balance my energy levels. I'm going to focus more on the few things hes really wanting me to do. I'll try to foster a more give and take, fair and positive acceptance of one another.

Sensiblesailing Fri 06-Aug-21 04:11:05

One more thing, I really wanted to have our camper parked at the lake we liked in Colorado, a huge campground and have my friends all come for a visit. He wasn't find of that idea and looked at me likeni was crazy. Lol. So, I did firm an alternate plan. My friends from evergreen co are going to meet me half way fkr a girls day out in September. Thanks everyone for your help!

FarNorth Fri 06-Aug-21 07:33:10

That all sounds wonderful. I'm glad things are looking better for you.

My thought on the "Have you done X" questions is that maybe he's not being critical but just asking for factual information on whether the thing is still to be done.

The steps you both are taking sound excellent.

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Aug-21 08:39:29

So glad you are finding a way forward.
flowers

MawBe Fri 06-Aug-21 09:02:32

I find it quite offensive that people's knee jerk reaction to someone having martial problems is 'dump him'

I hope it didn’t come to all out war!
Marital ?