Gransnet forums

Relationships

Relationship

(23 Posts)
Adele21 Fri 27-May-22 02:08:08

I just wanted some advice on a matter concerning a guy I have been going out with for the past 2 months. We have seen a lot of each other and things have been going well.

However, I was let down by a tradesman who was doing some work in my loft and this guy offered to do the work instead. I understood he would charge and was happy with this - he does need to supplement his income and I have a good job - however, I know he does work for other people for around £60 a day but recently has mentioned he thinks he should be charging more.

Anyway he has just finished my job after 2 days - I went to pay him £120 for 2 days and he said wait and we will sort but I have got a feeling he is going to charge me more as it was quite heavy work.

Its not about the money but we are in a relationship and it doesn't really sit right with me that he would charge me more than anyone else just because he knows I can well afford it. If I had thought he was going to charge more I wouldn't have asked him to do the job.

Just wondering what advice everyone else can give - I am thinking of just ending the relationship over this matter.

Hithere Fri 27-May-22 02:35:30

OP

Did you both agree it was a 2 day job for 60 BP each day?

Poppyred Fri 27-May-22 03:48:46

Aren’t you jumping the gun? Wait and see if he’s going to charge you (more) or not? Or maybe you not happy in the relationship anyway ??

Best to be honest with each other from the start.

mumofmadboys Fri 27-May-22 06:11:20

£60 per day is barely minimum wage.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 27-May-22 06:18:16

Tradesmen around here charge £120.00 a day.

But he hasn’t said anything yet has he?

BlueBelle Fri 27-May-22 06:27:03

…..but youre assuming a lot here perhaps he’s not going to charge you at all or perhaps he’s going to suggest he moves in and does the rest of your jobs? or maybe he ll say take me out to lunch as payment, you really are jumping to the negative
It’s a very new relationship so it would have been prudent to ask ‘how much would you charge to do a/b/c’ but you didn’t so you ll have to wait and see and be more on the ball next time

H1954 Fri 27-May-22 06:50:59

He could have previously set his rates at £60 based on the job at the time and the customers circumstances.........not entirely fair but it is possible.

Does he keep accounts to make a record of jobs he has done, what he charged etc? If not, why don't you suggest that he does exactly that? He should be declaring all his earnings to HMRC anyway.

It would be a shame to end the relationship over what I think is a paltry sum........£60 a day is peanuts to be honest. Do not make any hasty decisions and spoil what could be a lovely relationship.

He has helped you, now you help him, support him to get his 'odd job' business on the right footing, proper accounts, decent earnings and a competitive but fair pricing structure.

Daisymae Fri 27-May-22 07:50:33

I can't really believe that he would actually charge you. I would wait and see what happens.

Kim19 Fri 27-May-22 08:17:47

My guess would have been a freebie apart from any outlay for materials involved and then you could have reciprocated in kind. However...... you are already mistrusting him for reasons unknown. Think you should move on regardless of the outcome of the job but, of course, pay him first no

Katie59 Fri 27-May-22 09:02:24

If the work needs doing £60 a day is cheap, £100 a day is usual and £150 for higher skills. £60 a day is fair for little jobs a full days work is worth more. He’s doing you a favour, if you don’t like it pay a tradesman full price, it’s only you mistrusting his intentions that is the problem.

I assume you are not living together and he has his living costs to cover, don’t drive a good man away because of minor issues, a man good at repairs is a very good prospect.

Audi10 Sat 28-May-22 22:49:42

You have only been seeing him for two months! Goodness me 60 pound is peanuts, where we live you be lucky to get anything done for under 180 day. He hasn’t said anything yet has he, but to be thinking about ending it over this matter seems quite an odd thing to do as you say you are getting on well. Maybe you aren’t that into him.

Relange13994075 Tue 31-May-22 22:57:04

Great way to see how possible relationship will react to money issues.

Ohmother Wed 01-Jun-22 07:51:42

Could there be something else behind this excuse to finish this relationship? Seems a bit petty IMHO.

luluaugust Wed 01-Jun-22 09:35:48

Unless there is something else bothering you about the relationship why not just hang on a bit and see what he actually intends to do. Maybe he is trying to work out if he can afford to do the work for nothing. If he does do it for nothing perhaps you could take him out for lunch. If he asks for a really large sum then yes you need to consider where you are going as a couple.

annsixty Wed 01-Jun-22 09:52:26

I have recently had people in twice to do small jobs , both have charged £35 an hour with a minimum of two hours.
Even Age UK charge the same amount.
Just be realistic IF he is going to charge you at all.

Teacheranne Wed 01-Jun-22 09:55:30

Oopsadaisy1

Tradesmen around here charge £120.00 a day.

But he hasn’t said anything yet has he?

Round here, it’s more like £30 per hour!

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Jun-22 10:28:40

£60 per day?

Could you give me his details please?

VB000 Wed 01-Jun-22 10:37:14

£60 a day is very cheap. The handyman we use has just increased his rate to £175 a day.

Had a plumber come yesterday to do one hour's work (non emergency, it was booked in advance) and he charged £75 including call out, in Somerset.

62Granny Wed 01-Jun-22 10:45:07

He has done the job , hopefully it is to your satisfaction? you should offer to pay him what you would have paid the tradesman that was previously going to to the job as you had obviously agreed a price. If he then says it is more I think you have a grievance, if he says that's too much you are quids in.

FarNorth Wed 01-Jun-22 10:56:13

You seem to have a grudging attitude. Not nice .

HowVeryDareYou Wed 01-Jun-22 11:54:43

£60 a day - do you live in a wendy house? grin

How much had you been quoted by the man who let you down? That's what you should be paying.

Dee1012 Wed 01-Jun-22 12:09:13

luluaugust

Unless there is something else bothering you about the relationship why not just hang on a bit and see what he actually intends to do. Maybe he is trying to work out if he can afford to do the work for nothing. If he does do it for nothing perhaps you could take him out for lunch. If he asks for a really large sum then yes you need to consider where you are going as a couple.

I totally agree with this post...at the moment you don't know what he is thinking.
He could feel uncomfortable about charging you anything given that you are in a relationship?

Several years ago, I was seeing a man who had been an electrician. He did a couple of things for me - I bought all the materials etc and although I did offer to pay, he refused point blank to accept anything.
The compromise was a meal out, my treat.

grannygranby Sat 04-Jun-22 04:31:01

Insulting to him to offer so little. Pay the going rate which is more than double that. Unless you think he should be paying you for the relationship ?