Gransnet forums

Relationships

ghosting in friendships

(14 Posts)
Golddustwoman Tue 09-Aug-22 21:39:58

I met a woman on a training course about 4 years ago and we used to meet up every few months for coffee. I gradually found I didn't particularly enjoy it, she became increasingly rude and nosy. To cut a long story short I decided the best thing to do was to gradually lengthen the time between our meet ups and I lengthened the time it took to respond to texts too. I had found out from other people that she can be quite needy and volatile and a couple of my friends commented that they thought she had a crush on me - she became slightly stroppy when I told her (very kindly) I couldn't meet up due to other commitments and being busy. She was messaging me what I thought was excessively and it was becoming to feel like I was being badgered by her. In the end after she messaged me very early on a Sunday morning saying ' I feel the need to say hello to you' I kindly but firmly replied saying it had been very early to get a text on a Sunday morning and asked her not to do it again. I have eventually had to block her.
I feel I faded the friendship out in as kind and diplomatic way as I could - but I have been reading about ghosting and according to some I ghosted this woman and it isn't a nice thing to do. Surely we are allowed to end friendships if we want to but what are the best ways to do it when the other person does not want to end it? I think throughout the friendship she was intrusive and not one to respect boundaries and it was that that made me want to fade the friendship out in the first place.

Smileless2012 Tue 09-Aug-22 21:52:28

Of course we're allowed to end friendships Golddustwoman and although you say you faded the relationship out as kindly and diplomatically as you could, you still found yourself having to block her.

Is that because she wasn't able to see that you found her intrusive and unable to respect boundaries and if so, could that be because you never told her so?

welbeck Tue 09-Aug-22 21:55:53

i think you have been almost too kind, in not distancing yourself sooner.
it;s the sort of thing i have done in the past, so i recognise wanting to be sensitive and respectful of others, and not to hurt their feelings.
but with some people you just have to be firmer.
read up on assertiveness.
the fact is that you have the absolute right not to associate with any individual. your time and trust is precious, and you do not owe it to anyone.

Adelaide66 Tue 09-Aug-22 22:00:54

Well done you for setting definite parameters. You have avoided prolonging a caustic friendship.

Golddustwoman Tue 09-Aug-22 22:04:58

Smileless2012 there was one particular topic - my relationship with my partner that she would ask about a lot, quite personal questions and I would reply I did not want to discuss it. She would often still persist and I sometimes thought she carried on questioning me when she knew I didnt want to talk about it. But you're right, that may have been my assumption and she may be someone who needs things spelt out more than most but I am not convinced she would have reacted to that very well.

FarNorth Tue 09-Aug-22 22:05:37

Ghosting is suddenly being uncontactable with no previous hint, so you didn't do that.

I think you did as well as you could have and shouldn't worry about it.

Golddustwoman Tue 09-Aug-22 22:16:17

thanks welbeck, I read about assertiveness and I think she knew that I often found it hard to be firm for fear of hurting her feelings and thats why she pushed and pushed

Golddustwoman Tue 09-Aug-22 22:18:09

FarNorth - yes I have seen that definition too and I gave her plenty of notice

Golddustwoman Tue 09-Aug-22 22:20:47

Adelaide66, thank you. I often came back from coffee with her feeling negative and that things she had said weren't right

Shelflife Tue 09-Aug-22 23:46:46

Clearly you have done the right thing, this ' friendship ' was of no benefit to you. Asking personal questions about your relationship with your partner is very odd! She seems needy , clingy and possibly envious of the relationship you have with your partner -as you say she may well have a crush on you ! A friendship should enhance and enrich your life not cause anxiety. She seems to fixated on you so you are wise to stay clear of her.

VioletSky Wed 10-Aug-22 00:02:10

You ended a relationship as kindly as you could. I don't see what more you could have done for someone making you unhappy.

Allsorts Wed 10-Aug-22 07:37:20

This is just my perspective. She was not the friend for you. I wouldn't listen to other people's judgement on her, just go by my feelings. I would say I'm sorry I have so many demands on my time, commitments, holidays booked etc. I won't be able to meet up. It's been good knowing you though. Just end it. I don't like loose ends so I wouldn't block anyone myself, except a real pest, rather put a closure on it.

Judy54 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:28:22

No Golddustwoman you did not ghost this person but dealt with it in a very diplomatic and sensitive way. There are times when we meet people who don't understand boundaries and feel they have a right to our time exclusively. I told someone in the past that I had to make time for other people in my life too and could not always be available for her. It seemed to work.

Serendipity22 Wed 10-Aug-22 11:54:59

Well you did quite right, absolutely. If you felt uncomfortable and nothing but negativity, then in my view you did the best thing without a doubt.
smilesmilesmile