Prescription charges gone up

(11 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Sat 01-Apr-23 23:57:35

Gosh what a cost for a prescription
Nearly£10 for a prescription- it’s a blooming disgrace angry

greenmossgiel Sun 02-Apr-23 00:30:03

In Scotland they are still free.

paddyann54 Sun 02-Apr-23 01:46:44

The cost of administration is more than the return according to bothe the Scottiah and Welsh governments.Why aren't people in England demanding the same.Its a charge on illness ,there are people who go and collect a prescription from their GP but cant afford the price of the drugs ..thats clearly wrong

Foxygloves Sun 02-Apr-23 08:24:06

greenmossgiel

Aren’t you in Scotland MCSS ?

Given the demographic of GN, don’t most of us qualify for free prescriptions anyway?
Before we qualified on age grounds we used to find the pre-payment certificate saved us £££££

Freya5 Sun 02-Apr-23 08:45:37

Foxygloves

greenmossgiel

Aren’t you in Scotland MCSS ?

Given the demographic of GN, don’t most of us qualify for free prescriptions anyway?
Before we qualified on age grounds we used to find the pre-payment certificate saved us £££££

This is true, prepayment certificates are helpful and save money, if at the present time people can afford the initial outlay. As a much bigger country than either Scotland or Wales, population wise, one wonders why non of our leaders, ever, have said they would follow their stance,and have free prescriptions.

greenmossgiel Sun 02-Apr-23 08:46:53

Like multicolourswapshop, I live in Scotland. Perhaps she’s commenting on the fact that those in England under a certain age are having to pay this amount?

rosie1959 Sun 02-Apr-23 09:24:20

I read that even in England 90% of prescriptions dispensed are free of charge. My husband was surprised that when he turned 60 he no longer had to pay even though he wasn’t a pensioner.

multicolourswapshop Sun 02-Apr-23 22:44:48

Yes I do live inScotland where prescription’s have been free for a number of years . I was merely commenting on the recent news update which said prescriptions had gone up in price, it commented that there might be folks out there who will not pick up their medication due to the cost, some may struggle to pay,

I for one would struggle to pay for my 4 prescriptions once a month,many older folks according to my carers have multiple prescriptions. How on earth do they manage.

Deedaa Sun 02-Apr-23 22:49:04

I think I recently read that only around 80% of prescriptions are paid for.

rosie1959 Mon 03-Apr-23 05:16:02

My husband had a yearly payment which cost around £100 a year which covered all prescriptions

Ashcombe Mon 03-Apr-23 05:59:46

Prior to qualifying for free prescriptions, we were in a prepayment scheme for which we paid monthly, which would help those struggling. At the time, it was worth it if you regularly had two or more prescriptions per month.