Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Another step forward......

(303 Posts)
Greatnan Fri 10-Feb-12 14:56:52

The High Court in England has ruled that town councils must not have prayers before meetings. This is a big step forward for those of us who think there should be a complete separation between 'church' (ie. the C of E) and state. Now we need to get the bishops out of the Lords.

bagitha Fri 10-Feb-12 15:22:56

Thumbs up! Amazing that we've got to 2012 without this ban happening before. What do you bet people will moan and confuse secularism with "anti-religionism"?

Ariadne Fri 10-Feb-12 15:30:25

Of course they will! Roll on disestablishment, say I!

Mishap Fri 10-Feb-12 15:37:47

Hear, hear!

greenmossgiel Fri 10-Feb-12 15:45:11

Totally agree! What on earth do prayers have to do with any decisions made by local councils - although....sometimes I do think a bit of divine intervention may have helped a bit with ours here.....hmm!

whatisamashedupphrase Fri 10-Feb-12 15:54:18

Is this the best place to put this thread?! grin

whatisamashedupphrase Fri 10-Feb-12 15:55:20

We hate religion!!!!!!

Down with God!!!!!!

grin grin grin

[sarky emoticon] grin

bagitha Fri 10-Feb-12 15:55:56

As predicted.

whatisamashedupphrase Fri 10-Feb-12 15:58:50

grin grin grin

I'll leave you all to it! grin

You're funny.

Seventimesfive Fri 10-Feb-12 16:05:05

I cannot see any relationship between prayer and council business so am pleased with this ruling. Someone one the news was protesting that this had been happening since Elizabethan times! I rest my case.

MrsJamJam Fri 10-Feb-12 16:11:35

Not advocating prayers, but I do think that sometimes a moment before such meetings to just reflect on the potential seriousness of decisions would not come amiss.

goldengirl Fri 10-Feb-12 16:26:25

I can't see why it has to be a 'ruling'. Why can't it be up to individual councils to decide? As MrsJamJam says a moment for reflection is no bad thing. We are meant to be a Christian country after all - or are we? confused

bagitha Fri 10-Feb-12 16:32:17

No, we're not. The C of E only represents a minority.

nanachrissy Fri 10-Feb-12 16:36:20

Christians aren't just C of E.

bagitha Fri 10-Feb-12 16:42:17

True, but christians of all denominations are in a minority now. But that's beside the point really. Prayers are just irrelevant to council business. If any individual councillors want to pray, they can, privately. The ruling simply says that praying is not part of official business so cannot be imposed in council time on those who don't pray for whatever reason – different gods, no gods, etc.

Seventimesfive Fri 10-Feb-12 16:52:20

Thanks bagitha well put.

Ariadne Fri 10-Feb-12 16:54:44

While ever the Cof E is part of the political establishment, and therefore the Archbishops are in the House of Lords, we cannot move forward here.

In a way, it's more to do with a group who are Christians, and have an historical place constitutionally, than about Christianity per se. The influence of the Established Church may well not please many other denominations, as well as offending people with other beliefs.

Ariadne Fri 10-Feb-12 18:12:46

Apparently all started in a certain town in the south west, beginning with B!

JessM Fri 10-Feb-12 18:55:12

Time they got rid of that act of parliament that turns nearly all headteachers and governing bodies into law breakers as well isn't it. The one that says the school day should start with a daily act of worship.
Nearly 40 years ago, when doing teacher training I visited a school that was 100% muslim. It was in Southampton. There were the little mites getting the morning assembly about jesus!
Most schools don't comply with the act these days.

Ariadne Fri 10-Feb-12 18:58:53

Good! No one religious group should ever have any say in political power. That way lies real trouble. Time we sorted it out!

Greatnan Fri 10-Feb-12 19:04:07

Why would this not be the right place for this thread - it is about religion.

whatisamashedupphrase Fri 10-Feb-12 19:06:30

Absolutely! smile

grin

Joan Fri 10-Feb-12 21:55:17

It is embarrassing for the non-religious when people start praying around them. You have to sit there with a blank face and patiently wait till they've finished talking to their imaginary sky-friend. Most non-religious people have no axe to grind, they are not like Dawkins: but they just don't want to be dragged into other folks' strange little rituals.

whatisamashedupphrase Fri 10-Feb-12 22:04:51

Oh now, that's a little bit insulting Joan, "their imaginery sky friend*.

Have a little bit of respect for other people's beliefs.

jeni Fri 10-Feb-12 22:12:15

How would you feel if you lived in a strictly Islamic country?
At least here we can dissent and question!