Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Proof that Jesus lived.

(44 Posts)
Nonnie Sun 01-Apr-18 12:28:09

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-that-jesus-christ-lived-and-died?CMP=fb_gu

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Apr-18 15:00:29

I have no doubt that Jesus lived, died and rose on the third day. The New Testament is all the proof I need.

A very Happy Easter Nonnie

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 15:37:15

Very interesting article. People who are aetheist would not like there to be any proof however strong as it would go against their beliefs.
I don’t know if you saw this but DH was telling me last week that where Moses was supposed to have taken the Israelites across the Red Sea they have now found buried under the sand the skeletons of men and horses and the remains of armour and carriages etc. I imagine that the borders of the sea have gradually changed over the years which has allowed the digging to take place.

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 15:40:11

I have just had a google and the news came from the EgyptianMinistry - divers were looking for remains of trading vessels when they came across the mass of bones dating from 14C BC.

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Apr-18 15:48:24

Not sure that atheists would be that bothered.
I don’t believe in God but do believe that a man called Jesus lived.

paddyann Sun 01-Apr-18 20:20:03

he may well have lived ,doesn't mean he was "the son of god" and the resurrection is pure fabrication ,it is all easily explained ..read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail .Why do "christians" insist that we all should believe the myths they do.We're all entitled to our own beliefs/opinions ,by all means have yours but dont try to indoctrinate me .

Anniebach Sun 01-Apr-18 20:23:31

Who has insisted that you believe .paddyann?

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 20:44:53

Who wrote those two books please?

grannyactivist Sun 01-Apr-18 21:04:58

According to historians 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' is based on forgeries concocted by Pierre Plantard with the help of Philippe de Chérisey. Plantard and a novelist named Gérard de Sède wrote a book based on these forged parchments called L'Or de Rennes. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_de_Ch%C3%A9risey

paddyann Sun 01-Apr-18 21:21:34

whatever historians say I'd read it and make up my own mind,the explanation of how they cut him down BEFORE sunset instead of the usual practice of leaving those crucified hanging until dawn shows that he was comatose but still alive ,hence taking him away to recover and the "sighting" on the Sunday .Of course it was then built into a resurrection instead of what it really was ..in modern parlance it was simply a scam

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 21:35:51

What about the soldier pushing his sword into his side? Was that a scam or untrue in some way?

mumofmadboys Sun 01-Apr-18 22:04:13

What would be the point of a scam????

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 22:07:42

Exactly -

Iam64 Sun 01-Apr-18 22:12:14

A ‘scam’ - what a curious view of the resurrection. I understand not everyone believes it, some explain it in various ways but I never heard it described as a scam before

Anniebach Sun 01-Apr-18 22:21:52

Was Christ cut from the cross before sunset because the Sabbeth was the next day? , they didn't visit his tomb untill Sunday, surely for the same reason

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 23:09:15

You are probably right Annie as they started their special Friday night meal at sunset.

Eloethan Mon 02-Apr-18 01:41:49

Believing that a person called Jesus existed is not the same as believing that every event that is reported in the bible is an accurate reflection of what happened. After all, the various witness reports of current momentous events often differ in quite significant ways so how on earth could we expect reports of the events that occurred during Jesus's time to be reliable?

Having said that, I like to think that Jesus's character was basically as depicted in the bible - a kind and gentle person who was neither cowed nor corrupted by those in power but who gave respect and support to those who were in pain and had no voice.

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 08:43:49

Yes Welshwife, it was because of the Sabbeth.

Luckygirl Mon 02-Apr-18 08:46:23

Exactly Eleothan.

whitewave Mon 02-Apr-18 09:03:47

Well said eleothan as usual (wish I had your considered judgement)

Baggs Mon 02-Apr-18 09:12:13

I have heard it argued that there were actually quite a few Jewish Messiahs during the Roman occupation of Christ's homeland and that they were actually, and not surprisingly, political rebels.

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 09:15:05

Poor judas was a political rebel , several of the apostles were

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 09:21:24

You can always ignore the scriptures Eleothan

vampirequeen Mon 02-Apr-18 09:24:45

I'm glad you feel sorry for Judas. I always thought he got a bad press. In order to fulfil prophecy Jesus had to be betrayed. I think Judas was following orders.

I don't doubt the existence of Jesus. I think he was a rabbi who taught things that the establishment didn't like hence they went after him. The Romans simply saw him as a trouble maker. They had sorted Judah and got the establishment on their side. The last thing they wanted was the establishment being undermined. My problem arises with his divinity and how the early Church decided what was to become doctrine/truth and what was to be left out/hidden from the people.

Anniebach Mon 02-Apr-18 10:01:37

I do feel sorry for Judas, I think he loved Jesus, he saw Jesus as the leader who would free their people from oppression, how he must have felt when the people chose to crucify Jesus, perhaps even then he thought Jesus would perform a miracle and get off that cross, or God would send down a thunderbolt. Little wonder he hanged himself poor man.

Wonder if, when he got to heaven, God said " someone had to do it "