Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Bishop Michael Curry's Sermon

(228 Posts)
Alexa Sun 20-May-18 08:51:16

I hope that love will become the great paradigm shift in a similar way to the paradigmatic invention of firemaking.

Luckygirl Sun 20-May-18 08:54:18

I didn't mind the "address" (that turned into a sermon). I quite admire believers who stick to their guns and do not water their message down for the sake of agnostics like me, as long as the message is benign, which in this case it certainly seemed to be. His delivery made a refreshing change.

Luckygirl Sun 20-May-18 08:55:41

I did notice though that he had his notes on an ipad-type device on the lectern - I was wondering what would happen if an email came through in the middle of it all - Ping!

MawBroon Sun 20-May-18 08:57:01

confused

MawBroon Sun 20-May-18 08:57:53

I believe Jesus made mention of Love a couple of millennia ago - hardly a new idea?

Joelsnan Sun 20-May-18 09:04:02

I 'loved' the content of his message to start with, but almost lost the will to live by the end, far too long and repetitive.

Bridgeit Sun 20-May-18 09:04:43

I Didn’t notice until reading this that his name is Curry, his sermon lived up to his name, hot, spicy, with a lasting affect? But it was actually very good , but maybe not at a wedding. Good on him he saw his opportunity & took it.

Grannybags Sun 20-May-18 09:24:39

I agree with Joelsnan His message was lost on me at the end. Far too long

mumofmadboys Sun 20-May-18 09:30:56

MawBroon doesn't the message of love keep need repeating. We are so slow to learn.As it says in 1 Corinthians 13' Three things remain-Faith,Hope and Love and the greatest of these is Love'

ffinnochio Sun 20-May-18 09:57:50

Thoroughly enjoyed the free flowing sermon by Michael Curry - a great display of passion and belief.

The cello music, played by cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason, was superb. My grandson, who is learning the violin, now wants to change to cello after watching his performance.

Both inspiring.

Grandma70s Sun 20-May-18 10:06:24

I muted it after a while. I dislike that style of delivery, and thought it not only far too long but very out of place in that setting and context.

People have talked about fusing two cultures, with the English traditional (and faultless) St George’s Chapel choir and the gospel choir, and the Archbishop of Canterbury with Bishop Curry. To me it was just a big clash that really didn't work.

Grandma70s Sun 20-May-18 10:21:43

Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but the reason Sheku Kanneh-Mason has become known is that he won the BBC Young Musician a couple of years ago when he was 17. His whole family (I think 7 siblings) is brilliantly talented.

POGS Sun 20-May-18 10:30:45

I am hardly excercised about the sermon but as it is a question my response is I thought it was over the top for my liking, it wasn't my wedding though so I hope Meghan and Harry enjoyed it and Reverend Curry lived up to ' their ' expectations.

I did find myself willing him to stop repeating the same message and words though.

Teetime Sun 20-May-18 10:35:04

I loved it even if it was a tad too long- great bit of theatre as well.

fourormore Sun 20-May-18 10:41:54

Just shows how different we all are doesn't it!
I thought the whole wedding was so full of love, the guests seemed so relaxed and I felt the contrast was amazingly seemless.
I didn't think I would like the address but surprised myself as I got totally engrossed. I am not normally 'over the top' preferring the more traditional reverence but really enjoyed the whole thing including the Gospel Choir!
I really wanted to hug Harry though at the beginning, as he was trying so hold to hold it together. He must have been missing of his Mum then and looked so vulnerable bless him.
I also felt for Meghan's Mum - she was so dignified and again looked so vulnerable that I wished I could have been sat with her and just given her hand a quick squeeze!
What a sloppy sentimental person I am grin

hildajenniJ Sun 20-May-18 10:44:42

I agree that it was a rather over long address, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I thought he was a breath of fresh air. The sermons I've listened to over the years have often been staid and very long winded. I loved the Gospel choir, it all made a great change from the usual Royal Wedding.

Anniebach Sun 20-May-18 10:48:20

Church services be they for a royal wedding or a small village church wedding are the same. If they are Anglican services.

glammanana Sun 20-May-18 11:48:12

I agree it was rather repetitive and long but a real change from the normal Royal Wedding sermons which have in the past been rather boring,this is a modern couple and they have certainly done it their way,good for them.

goldengirl Sun 20-May-18 12:32:43

I don't think the Royal Family had ever heard anything like it! It was a breath of fresh air to the 'normal' sermon that one tends to get at weddings. However I have to say it did go on a bit but his heart was in the right place and he did make people take notice - even if only to grin!

Blinko Sun 20-May-18 13:26:32

It was far too long. Not surprising that some people were looking either at the ground or at the ceiling, in the hope he would end it soon. The sermon, that is.

stella1949 Sun 20-May-18 13:29:49

He is obviously used to giving long and dramatic sermons . He went on a bit too long, but I really enjoyed it. It certainly gave the congregation something different from what they'd expected !

Anniebach Sun 20-May-18 13:40:02

As would hiccups ?

maryeliza54 Sun 20-May-18 15:04:33

I thought it was incredibly inane. As if the majority of that over privileged over entitled self obsessed congregation would give a damn about ending poverty and preventing children going to bed hungry. Basically it was all about unicorns

Willow500 Sun 20-May-18 15:04:40

I just kept thinking all those poor people sitting there for all that time must be willing him to stop to get it over and done with - I bet the queues for the loos were enormous at the end as some had been in there for hours - shows how my mind works grin

Anniebach Sun 20-May-18 15:12:18

It was awful, and a marriage service is not the place to preach about poverty and hunger , or first love when the bride was divorced , he got rather carried away bless him