Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Praying 'in tongue'

(37 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Aug-18 18:00:55

As I understand the story in the book of Acts, the apostles were given the ability to speak in other languages, so that all the people from wherever they came, found that they could understand the message which was being given. I get really annoyed by the sort of prayer-addicts who think that it means speaking gobbledy-gook. What on earth use is that to anyone? angry (I am a church-goer.)

Well done, Newatthis for acting so quickly and probably saving your friend's daughter's life. I just hope that if/when my allergic DGC is ever in trouble again, that it is you and not your friend who is around to help! flowers

merlotgran Thu 23-Aug-18 17:47:47

Ah yes. I've read it again. Thanks.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 17:45:59

I think it reads as if OP, the friend and her daughter were at their own house, doesn’t it?

merlotgran Thu 23-Aug-18 17:43:59

How fortunate that you had an epi-pen in your bathroom.

Eglantine21 Thu 23-Aug-18 17:06:25

The New Testament is very clear the praying in tongues is a gift that God chooses to give, to some but not everyone. He has many gifts to bestow and I’m sure that to you as a believer he has given you other gifts equally as valuable if not more.

One of which seems to be the ability to act decisively in an emergency!

Speaking in tongues is in no way a mark or measure of Christianity. Only belief in Jesus. That is all Jesus required of his followers.

Actually I am not a believer but I do know the Bible.

PECS Thu 23-Aug-18 16:16:14

Newatthis fundamental religious folk of any faith who fail to address their children's welfare needs and rely only on the belief that a deity will intervene to help can be, and have been, prosecuted for neglect.
I understand that, as humans, God gave us choice! Choice to use the skills, abilities, brains we have to do either good or bad. If I were around on a judgement day I rather think your actions would be recognised as a good choice!

If all we had to do was pray and we get the answer we want that is a pretty poor religion to me! And we all know that is not how it works! It is too fatalistic and means that whatever we do is God's will and we are just ditching our responsibility to try to live a good life. God willing is all well and good but it might be God's will that we all actually do something!

sodapop Thu 23-Aug-18 16:09:16

Quite right Maw the Lord moves in mysterious ways. Thank goodness you were able to help Newatthis.
People pray and express their faith in different ways, speaking in tongues is mentioned in the Bible but that method of prayer is not for me. If its a comfort and helps then I won't be critical.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 16:07:19

Newathis, I am a practising Christian , I gave my life to God many years ago. I continue to fail him every day but I still try every day.

God knows you and your friend, it’s what is in your heart not what or how you or your friend pray. Christ taught us The Lords Prayer, says it all, praises God, asks for our needs .
You did the sensible thing , and the epipen was invented to save lives so for me it was God given , you used a gift from God.

Please do not doubt x

Newatthis Thu 23-Aug-18 15:49:03

Thank you MawBroon - I read the link, a very good story. I do wonder though what might have happened if i wasn't there at the time.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 15:34:30

truthbook.com/stories/funny-god/the-drowning-man

I think this is the one.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 15:33:03

As you are a Christian I think it is much more likely that the Lord saved her by sending you the wisdom and presence of mind to use her Epipen
Thee is an old story to that effect which I shall now try to find.
Be reassured you are definitely Christian enough and as I do not wish to insult your friend I will keep my views on “praying in tongues” especially in place of sensible action, to myself.

Newatthis Thu 23-Aug-18 15:26:10

I have some friends who are devout Christians and attend an Evangelican church. They recently invited me to join them for a Sunday service. Many of the congregation were praying 'in tongue'. I consider myself a Christian, I attend church and I pray but I have never prayed in tongue nor believe that I would even know how. This had made me feel that I am not quite 'Christian' enough. They also praise and thank the Lord for everything - all the time. Recently, my friends daughter, who very allergic to wasp stings, got stung and my friend immediately got down and started praying whereas I went to the bathroom, got her anti allergy pen stick and injected her daughter with it (my friend was in a prayer frenzy at the time and therefore incapable of doing so) which subsequently saved her daughter from perhaps being hospitalised or worse. later my friend thanked The Lord (but no me!) . I truly believe that God has the ultimate power but does anyone else think that this is taking things too far or is it that I am not quite Christian enough?