Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Struggling with my Catholic faith update

(35 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:04:53

A few moths ago I posted a thread about struggling with my Catholic faith and the feelings of guilt in considering walking away. Here is an update for those of you who gave such kind and supportive advice. Well I took the plunge and started going to my local Anglican church and could not be happier. Everyone has made me so welcome and there is no pressure to attend services every Sunday. It is a very community orientated Parish with something for everyone including coffee mornings, Mum and toddler groups, Youth projects and a lunch club. The Vicar is lovely and understands my journey from Catholicism and is happy to chat to me anytime. It is still early days but my guilt has subsided and I am really enjoying being part of this beautiful church and worshiping God here.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 14:16:53

Good to read it has worked out well for you.

Judy54 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:18:58

Thank you Calendargirl that means so much.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:21:50

It’s a very brave thing to do, well done and I’m pleased it has made you so happy

Smileless2012 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:28:21

It's good to know you have found a church where you feel comfortable and that the guilt you were feeling has gonesmile.

grannyqueenie Mon 10-Feb-20 14:28:36

I remember your post and the struggle you described, Judy. It’s lovely to hear that you’ve found somewhere where you feel comfortable. Enjoy settling in your new faith community x

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 14:39:56

How considerate of you to keep us informed.
I’m always full of Catholic guilt?.

vampirequeen Mon 10-Feb-20 14:49:35

I'm so glad you've found somewhere to go where you feel at home.

Jane10 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:57:11

Glad to hear you've found a church where you really fit in.

Septimia Mon 10-Feb-20 15:30:11

Thanks for the update. I'm really pleased that you've found somewhere welcoming and sympathetic.

NanKate Mon 10-Feb-20 15:34:37

I’m glad you have found what you are looking for Judy.

I count myself as a Christian, I am christened but have not been confirmed.

As a child my mum used to take the me to the Catholic Oratory in Birmingham at Easter. She was not a catholic but her Dad was, but she never knew him as her family would not let her mum marry him as they were C of E. She did in later life become a catholic.

I only attend church maybe on hols or at Christmas in any church that I am near, but I do have this pull towards the Catholic Church and often visit the one in our town just to sit, pray and light candles for those who are important to me. The smell of incense, chiming of bells is so evocative of my childhood.

I don’t like many of the teachings of the Catholic Church such as priests not being allowed to marry, the feelings of guilty many catholic people have, non agreement with family planning, especially in countries where women have far more children than they want or can cope with.

I feel I am a nobody when it comes to religion, but do believe one day I will meet up with my family, which is very reassuring.

Nannarose Mon 10-Feb-20 17:20:57

Thank you for the update. There was a post on here a few days ago about joining an organisation. I said that whatever the avowed aims, it does come down to the people who are active in it, and I think I the same applies to churches. My lovely neighbour, a lifelong active Baptist, moved and found the local Methodist church so much more in tune with her beliefs.
Long may your contentment with your new church flourish!

Fennel Mon 10-Feb-20 18:31:21

Judith - it sounds like you've found your spiritual home.
I don't remember your earlier thread, but I can empathise .
Having been through the same search many years ago and eventually settled in Judaism.
The main thing, we believe in the same God, serve Him in different ways, but with common values.

Greymar Mon 10-Feb-20 18:51:05

Lovely Fennel. A lovely post. Is it Him?

GardenerGran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:57:31

I remember your previous post, very pleased you’ve found your “home”. Some good news is always welcome!

Doodle Mon 10-Feb-20 19:20:59

I have a friend who is Catholic and she has moved to an Anglican Church. She too is very happy and has been made very welcome. Glad you have found somewhere you can find what you are looking for.

Judy54 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:30:36

Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement which has helped me so much.

Fennel Fri 14-Feb-20 16:04:08

@ Greymar
"Is it Him?"
As one of the hebrew prayers says , "ein od" - there's no other.
We're all on the same path as Buddhists, Hindus, worshippers of Nature etc who also have minor gods, but imo they're all subserviant to the original Creator.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Apr-20 14:36:55

Judy54 I wish you many many blessings. I'm personally really pleased you are feeling a contentment with your new "family" there.
Thinking of you today. Happy Easter!

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Apr-20 14:41:59

So pleased for yoU Judy54.
Jesus leads us to where we belong not parents etc.
You are now on the right path for you bless you.
Happy Easter.

3nanny6 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:27:57

Judy54; sorry to hear that you struggled with your Catholic faith and felt uncomfortable. I am interested to know that in leaving your Catholic faith did you or will you have to take any steps to be fully connected to the Anglican faith.

I am a cradle Catholic (being entered into the faith as a baby and being baptized). Over the years I have witnessed many people converting to Catholicism and being baptized into the religion and it was always a heartwarming sight. For me my Catholic faith is a comfort although my children no longer practise the religion.
Good luck on your new found religion, God Bless You.

Judy54 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:12:02

Thank you Not Spaghetti and timetogo2016 for your blessings and Easter wishes it has touched me that people are interested enough to still message on this thread. Happy Easter to both of you too. 3nanny6 as a baptised Christian (in the catholic church) I am able to worship in the Anglican church and to take communion. Anglicans cannot take communion in a Catholic church (not even my Vicar) and the Catholic faith does not permit their Members to take communion other than in an RC church. So effectively I have excommunicated myself and committed a mortal sin in the eyes of the Catholic church. However that is my choice and I am truly happy to worship in my lovely Anglican church. God bless you too.

Our Vicar has made great efforts to stay in touch with Parishioners with regular weekday and Sunday services by phone. We had a service on Good Friday (stations of the cross) and an uplifting Easter Sunday service this morning. Not quite the same as being in the church but lovely to join together in praise.

3nanny6 Mon 13-Apr-20 13:38:55

Judy54 ; Thank-you for reply. I suppose I am thinking right that you were baptized in the Catholic church. The fact you wanted to excommunicate was probably something you gave much thought to. I was wondering how that worked however I
suppose you would have been "received" and then welcomed into the Anglican church. In all honesty the Sacraments are the same that are used in the Catholic faith, for the communion of bread and wine.
We know only Catholics can participate in our sacraments in the Catholic church and Anglicans or any other denominations would not be allowed.
To know you have found your "God " in whatever church is good and you are still continuing to worship and have found peace. God Bless you.

Judy54 Mon 13-Apr-20 16:38:52

Thank you again 3nanny6. I did not need to be received into the Anglican church just went along to a service where I was warmly welcomed and able to receive communion. The Vicar tells me that there are people in our parish from different denominations for example Evangelists, Baptists and Catholics as well as people of no faith at all, He does not turn anyone away. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the services and the beauty of the Church anytime they wish.

Sparkling Thu 16-Jul-20 06:44:08

Judy I am so pleased you have found your spiritual home, it takes a lot of soul searching and heartache to leave the Catholic Church, there is such a lot of guilt attached. . Although an Anglican myself, I am very drawn to Catholic Churches, I feel at home there but there is so many things I disagree with I would never leave my Anglican Church, it welcomes everyone.
Two neighbours of mine for over 20 years, left their church and became Babtists, I was widowed and never asked for any help, none was ever offered, one day an enormous spider was in my garage as I went to get my car out. I knocked on their door and said I was sorry to ask but could they help me I had a small problem, the man of the house replied, sorry I don't do jobs for anyone else I have enough of my own. I said it was only yo remove a spider but very sorry I asked you for help as you obviously just help yourselves.These two neighbours now lead prayer meetings at our local Babtist church and take every opportunity to recruit.