Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Spiritualist Church

(50 Posts)
Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 06:53:52

I wonder if you could help please?
I don't feel particularly religious but I do like traditional hymns and going to church for weddings etc.
I am vaguely thinking about going on a regular basis and thought maybe a spiritualist church.
I don't know anything about spiritualist services but having had various bereavement over the years thought this might be the place to go?

Esspee Wed 19-Feb-20 08:06:14

Why?

Elegran Wed 19-Feb-20 08:31:52

If you just go to each of the churches in your area in turn, you will find out which one you like best. If you don't know anything about spiritualist services, you could research on the internet.

Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 11:53:37

Thank you both.
Not sure Esspee just something that I have thought about for a little while.
Thanks Elegran ..sensible advice

Dee1012 Wed 19-Feb-20 12:18:42

Quite a number of years ago, I did what Elegran suggested...on a personal level, I think I was "looking for something" if that makes sense?
Do some research in your area and go with an open mind.
Best of luck

Esspee Wed 19-Feb-20 14:06:15

These people prey on the gullible. No spiritualist has ever been able to demonstrate their powers under controlled conditions.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 19-Feb-20 14:07:36

Yes, I would agree, particularly if you don't have a link to any particular denomination. You might find that just the welcome you get in one church makes you opt for that one, while you are put off by being ignored in a different one. Any Christian church will have a belief in an afterlife, not just a spiritualist one.

MawB Wed 19-Feb-20 15:04:24

I don’t think Spiritualist Churches have anything to do with spiritualism esspee although I share your scepticism about the latter.
But if OP enjoys traditional hymns, nor do I think a Spiritualist Church is where she will find them. Don’t get me wrong, I love that wonderful singing and all the clapping -sometimes - but I am not comfortable with exclamations of Praise the Lord ! or Hallelujah! Or singing with raised hands in apparent ecstasy. Great for those whose heart is in it, or whose spirit is moved but I’m more of a Hymns Ancient and Modern/1662 Prayer Book/Mattins or Evensong sort of person.
I would have thought your nearest cathedral would be more the place to find traditional hymns if they are not what your local parish church provides. Or try a Methodist or URC church - some of our greatest English hymns are thanks to the Wesleys and the Methodist church.

MawB Wed 19-Feb-20 15:08:07

Gosh sorry, I got that completely wrong. Many apologies to esspee in particular. ????
I would avoid them like the plague!
Services conducted by a medium? No way!

I stand by the rest of what I said regarding traditional hymns though!
(Goes away and hides)

Elegran Wed 19-Feb-20 15:17:26

Yes, Wesley gave us some of our best-loved traditional hymns. He was criticised for putting hymn words to popular (unreligious) melodies, but replied. "Why should the devil have all the best tunes?"

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 15:23:15

A service in a Spiritual Church is different to the Anglican
Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist etc.

The minister isn’t ordained, usually a medium , and a guest
medium will give messages from the dead to the congregation.

There is usually development meetings where members who
believe they ‘have the gift’ can develop their gift.

Newquay Wed 19-Feb-20 15:27:24

Steer well clear of spiritualists would be my advice!
Go to local Christian churches. I was advised to go where you feel you are “being fed” (from the Bible-which clearly condemns mediums)

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 15:36:14

Spiritualists are Christian , they celebrate Christmas, Easter,
they do go against the teachings of the bible which condemns
trying to contact the dead or fortune telling

Ziggy62 Wed 19-Feb-20 16:14:02

I'm a spiritualist but sadly my nearest church is 30 miles away.

I think you can find your nearest church online.

Ziggy62 Wed 19-Feb-20 16:16:35

www.thespiritualist.org/churches/

this link may help, if I've done it properly lol

Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 16:48:35

I am not looking for a medium etc so I think I will give the spiritualist church a miss. Will try a couple of different church services and see how I get on.
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help.

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 16:53:14

Sark take care,if you were to attend a service in a Spiritual
Church a medium giving readings could suddenly say to you
‘Can I come to you’, this means they want to give you a message from ‘the other side ‘.

Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 17:25:11

Annibach thank you so much..I think that might be a bit much for me!

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 17:30:56

Sark I was concerned you may have attended a service and if you were not hoping for ‘a message’, ! you may have been
fearful if approached, you would have a right to say ‘no’ if
asked ‘can I come to you’ but difficult to say ‘no’ when others
say ‘yes’.

Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 17:42:21

Absolutely Anniebach I think I would find that difficult.
A tiny part of me would love a message from my first husband but everyones help today makes me realise I am probably more suited to a different church.
Thank you smile

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 17:59:44

You did say you had bereavements over the years Sark I was
troubled you may be caused upset .

Sark Wed 19-Feb-20 18:42:44

Anniebachflowers

aprilrose Thu 20-Feb-20 08:25:31

This is just an experience but forgive me for adding it if not appropriate.

A few years ago my husband and I were invited to a Christening at a spiritualist church. My husband was Godfather. We went to a normal service where this christening was to be at the end. There was a medium there. I think we were both surprised by this thinking we were going to a christening. What struck me though was what happened next.

OH had a problem at work at the time ( I wont go into details). No one knew about this problem other than my husband and me (I mean no one, we had told no one) . We knew no one there and not even the people who my husband was being Godfather for knew either - not even my husbands family knew , nor mine and there was absolutely no one in this church meeting who knew us at all and no one from my husbands work..... in fact we werent even in the same town. We were total strangers to this church and even the man who had asked my OH to be Godfather was not close to us in anyway and had no way at all of knowing about my husbands "problem" at that time.

The medium started giving out messages - lots of people there wanted some message from a loved one I could see, they were eager and waiting for her.

She then said she had someone with glasses wanting to give a message ( yeah good old ruse) , several answered but she ignored them. We didnt anwer. She looked straight at us....
still we didnt acknowledge her.

She added details about the woman with glasses, about her occupation and her family life...... ok they could be anyone but they certainly did relate to us but we didnt answer. Still she persisted in waiting for a response from my OH - we tried to look down....clearly she wanted us to have this message . In the end she just said - she wants to tell you not to worry because it has all been sorted out already and when you get in to the meeting next week everything will work out and it will be ok. She wants you not to worry. She wants you to know that. She kept looking at us......

Now no one could have known anything. We didnt acknowledge it. No one could understand how a medium was talking to two non believing strangers ..... but it was a strange experience. Its often left me wondering about spirits since.

Fennel Thu 20-Feb-20 12:40:27

I agree about Wesleyan chapels for hymn singing. My best friend as a child belonged to one and we often went together.
In the C of E church my family belonged to the mostly female voices were lost in the high ceilings.
As for spiritualism, I didn't think they had churches?I know they had meetings in private homes. It might be worth a try, Sark if you've had recent bereavements.
I have a belief that deceased loved ones continue to watch us from another dimension.

endlessstrife Thu 20-Feb-20 14:45:59

Spiritualist churches are about people speaking to the dead, which the Bible warns us against. You need the Holy Spirit, who will only be found in churches where the God of the Bible is worshipped.