Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Faeries and Nature Elementals

(154 Posts)
kgb1987 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:35:17

Has anyone had met or seen a Faery? By these, I really meant those that Rudolph Steiner would have called an Elemental?

Greenfinch Thu 10-Dec-20 12:57:53

No. Have you ?confused

emmasnan Thu 10-Dec-20 13:03:48

No, not even after a couple of glasses of wine.

Luckygirl Thu 10-Dec-20 13:04:05

Ah.....Rudolph Steiner.......interesting man. Mad as a box of frogs of course, but the education system that flowed from his craziness has a great deal to recommend it.

Gentle introduction to school, lots of nature walks and dance and art, everything (including science) presented in an artistic way, wide curriculum. I have a lot of time for it - a friend was Steiner educated and is a brain surgeon, so they do not miss out academically.

The batty philosophy behind it is not taught in Steiner schools, so the pupils get the benefits but not the crazy stuff.

And no, I have never met a faery - they share a category with Father Christmas - charming idea and harmless, but not real.

Esspee Thu 10-Dec-20 13:16:31

My grandchildren are being Steiner educated. I must say I am a little concerned. Whilst it seems a lovely environment and they love school I am concerned their academic progress is not up to standard and they will find it difficult to fit into mainstream school when the time comes.

Esspee Thu 10-Dec-20 13:23:11

As for seeing a faery, well yes, I was about 6 at the time. It was far away, mostly a sparkle flying and landing on a neighbour’s balcony.
My mother never let me forget it.
My granddaughters however, spent last weekend at a Renaissance fair where they had their photos taken with a real unicorn.

Luckygirl Thu 10-Dec-20 13:39:25

Espee - they love school - that is the most important thing. What tends to happen is that they take a few GCSEs when they get to the top of the school, then go on to sixth form for A-levels. And thence to university.

Academic progress is different, but when you say not up to standard we have to ask whose standard? The academic pressure in mainstream school does have certain standards, but I question whether they are always the right ones - and I am a school governor, so see a lot of it.

Children from Steiner schools are not at a disadvantage when it comes to academia - if that is the route they choose, they will have taken enough GCSEs to get into sixth form and the universities are more interested in their A-levels.

I have a GS who hated his mainstream school, and did no homework ever, but he left with a few bits of paper - enough to get into college (to do something he loves) and he is now going on to university on the strength of his college successes. He used to say to me that he preferred to do the detention rather than do the homework! I never worried about him - he is very intelligent, had identified where his priorities lay and proceeded to do what just was necessary to get where he wanted to be.

So....what I am saying is that there is more than one way for children to get to where they need to be, and it does not have to be the tunnel that is represented by mainstream education. From my cintacts with local sixth form college the message I get is that he Pupils from our local Steiner school are very welcome - they tend to be more mature, get on better with others (both adults and peers) and have the skills to manage their own work in a sensible way.

So, please do not worry about your GC - take joy in their happiness!

Stormystar Mon 11-Jan-21 19:55:31

Lucky girl why do you consider a man batty because he makes sense of the world from different premises than yourself. Do you hold the keys to the truth of reality?

lemongrove Mon 11-Jan-21 20:07:40

If you were able to see faeries/ fairies/ elementals etc then most of us would have seen one or more by now.
Perhaps the question should be....why haven’t we seen any?

Lucca Mon 11-Jan-21 20:10:22

Aren’t there any in the argy bargy?

lemongrove Mon 11-Jan-21 20:13:52

Only Fabrice ( Jane10’s manservant who pops in from time to time) and usually flounces out again if hard work is required.

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 16:58:48

Lemongrove perhaps because we see what we expect/want to see, our eyes are merely the lense, but it’s our hearts and minds that create the vision. And multitudes throughout time believe they have witnessed elemental spirits. How wondrous !

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:00:33

I’m always amazed as some of the threads on this forum????

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 17:00:34

Wondrous indeed. Have you personally ?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 13-Jan-21 17:27:11

Do these “Elementals” have any purpose or appear at certain times to particular people? Or are they just floating around in the atmosphere and discovered through a chance encounter??

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 17:55:49

Yes, I see some every day.
I love them, in the absence of real ones they fill the gap in my elemental experiences.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:00:37

Lucca

Wondrous indeed. Have you personally ?

Personally what?

PollyDolly Wed 13-Jan-21 18:07:49

Don't they live at the bottom of the garden?? ?

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 18:55:54

Haha Yes Pollydolly if by the bottom of the garden you mean your Subconscious

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 19:00:06

Greeneyedgirl. You summon them - from your wise beautiful heart when you have a special need or desire

Blossoming Wed 13-Jan-21 19:01:19

Seen one? I am one.

PollyDolly Wed 13-Jan-21 19:01:32

I recall a TV sketch many years ago where someone was chanting "there are fairies at the bottom of my garden"!

baubles Wed 13-Jan-21 19:16:59

I’ve got a book full of them.

baubles Wed 13-Jan-21 19:18:07

Photo

Grandma70s Wed 13-Jan-21 19:21:04

“There are fairies at the bottom of our garden!” is a 1917 poem for children by Rose Fyleman. It was much parodied and laughed at by cynics.

I’ve seen lots of fairies in ballets. The Sleeping Beauty is full of them.