Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Where’s Justin Welby, is he a fair weather Archbishop?

(44 Posts)
mercedez Sat 23-Jan-21 10:30:03

How come Justin Welby had a lot to say about Brexit but has gone very quiet over Covid and the way of the world. Shouldn’t he be helping the NHS, he could direct cars and people at the big vaccination hubs, that would be very useful.

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jan-21 10:31:25

Not a fan then, eh?

henetha Sat 23-Jan-21 10:33:34

I think he's been helping out at foodbanks etc. I read something about this a while back.

twinnytwin Sat 23-Jan-21 10:43:22

It was reported that he's working as a volunteer chaplain at Guys and St Thomas's hospital in London. Don't be nasty mercedez. Folk don't have to advertise what they're doing to satisfy the media all the time.

FannyCornforth Sat 23-Jan-21 10:56:07

The Archbishop of Canterbury seems an odd choice of things to get one's knickers in a twist about.
Granted, Welby may prove to be quite handy in a traffic directing capacity.
The mitre and crozier would certainly make a high viz jacket surplus to requirements.

Sparklefizz Sat 23-Jan-21 11:00:30

Strangely enough he popped into my head last night. I am surprised he is not giving booster talks to keep people's spirits up.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:10:08

It has been widely reported that he is to take a sabbatical this year, not entirely sure when though.

Riverwalk Sat 23-Jan-21 11:31:37

He's been working at St Thomas' hospital - quite handy as Lambeth Palace is across the road!

Why would he direct cars? hmm

annodomini Sat 23-Jan-21 11:52:01

"Do good by stealth and blush to find it fame".

I always thought that was St Paul, but, having checked for accuracy, I find that it's Alexander Pope but it does apply to the Archbishop's current actions.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 03:15:28

The archbishop has been conspicuous by his absence at this very difficult time in the country's history. He has probably forgotten that he is the head of the Church of England as well as the Anglican Communion. He should be leading the church not spending time doing a job anyone in holy orders could do.

Lucca Mon 25-Jan-21 07:20:08

Here’s something he’s doing

Lucca Mon 25-Jan-21 07:22:42

Grannyrose I’m interested I. What you think he should be doing to “lead the church” ?

MawBe Mon 25-Jan-21 07:50:53

If Justin Welby is volunteering across the road at St Thomas’s he is surely leading by example .

What more do you want?

Billybob4491 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:13:17

Yes he has been helping out at hospitals and is due to go on a Sabbatical year, not sure when that will commence. I love the way you tell it MawBe!!

GrannyRose15 Tue 26-Jan-21 00:03:04

What he should be doing is making sure that the daily round of prayer and worship continues in every part of our nation according to ecclesiastical law. Instead he even stopped parish priests fulfilling their legal duty in empty churches, gave us Easter communion from his kitchen and told us you don't have to go to church to pray. He should know that the Church of England is different from other churches - prayer every day in every parish church is not an optional extra but a fundamental part of what the Church of England is and has been for the past 1500 years.

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 10:56:48

mercedez and GrannyRose
Welby was interviewed on the Today program this morning.
If you want to listen on catch-up he was on at around 8.30 for about 15 minutes.

Lucca Wed 27-Jan-21 10:59:46

GrannyRose15

What he should be doing is making sure that the daily round of prayer and worship continues in every part of our nation according to ecclesiastical law. Instead he even stopped parish priests fulfilling their legal duty in empty churches, gave us Easter communion from his kitchen and told us you don't have to go to church to pray. He should know that the Church of England is different from other churches - prayer every day in every parish church is not an optional extra but a fundamental part of what the Church of England is and has been for the past 1500 years.

Look I know I’m a non believer but goodness me that seems quite harsh ?

Anniebach Wed 27-Jan-21 11:04:23

So before the virus people went to Church every morning ?

Lucca Wed 27-Jan-21 11:09:44

Indeed Annie?

Ashcombe Wed 27-Jan-21 11:15:45

Grannyrose13 I thought that the Anglican Church was established during the reign of Henry VIII, less than 500 years ago. It would appear that the Archbishop is humble enough to meet his flock where the need is greatest.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 11:17:18

I read weeks ago he was taking a sabbatical for a few months ‘to reflect’.
Timing seems a bit off?

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 11:26:33

He was on BBC Breakfast this morning discussing the 100,000 death toll.

He is also active on Twitter, not sure if many grans use it.

lemsip Wed 27-Jan-21 11:26:40

And again;
Archbishop receives Covid-19 vaccine as part of St Thomas’ Hospital chaplaincy team
18/01/2021

The Archbishop of Canterbury received his Covid-19 vaccine at St Thomas' Hospital, where he has been working as a volunteer chaplain.

lemsip Wed 27-Jan-21 11:27:51

I wonder why people don't think to Google there question before posting it? strange.

Ashcombe Wed 27-Jan-21 11:30:37

twitter.com/JustinWelby