Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Does anyone remember...........?

(36 Posts)
Lexisgranny Wed 31-Mar-21 23:52:42

When I was in school we used a hymn book with a hard blue cover. I was reminded if it the other day, and thought of the hymns that were on the first page, I think there were three: When a Knight Won His Spurs (in the stories of old); Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; and possibly Morning has broken. Can Anyone confirm this, or tell me if I am misremembering? It keeps popping into my mind, I would really appreciate it.

Lexisgranny Wed 31-Mar-21 23:54:59

Sorry the hymnal was called Songs of Praise.

B9exchange Thu 01-Apr-21 00:00:58

Would that be Hyms Ancient and Modern? I think that one was blue. I think the English Hymnary was green?

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 00:10:10

No B9exchange, it was a hymn book used at both schools I attended. It was quite slim and the cover had an embossed circle in the middle, which I think depicted two young deer and trees, and it also had Songs of Praise on the front.

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Apr-21 00:20:13

Is this it Lexisgranny?
It has the cover you describe.

www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Praise-Nonpareil-Style-3180X/dp/0192312014/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=songs+of+praise+hymnal&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1617232549&sr=8-7

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 08:44:38

Yes, Grannynannywanny, I have seen that, and I am pretty certain that that is the one. I tried to find an index for it, but had no luck. I know it sounds a bit odd, but I remember the really happy feeling I used to get when very young, opening the hymn book and seeing that first page. TBH I am afraid that if I buy it from Amazon, it might have changed that page over the years, and that happy memory will be lost. It was first printed nearly a hundred years ago, but I certainly used it through the 50s and into the 60s. Thanks for taking the time to research it.

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Apr-21 09:06:23

I can see it holds fond memories for you Lexisgranny and I wish you luck in finding it.

I noticed on Amazon when you click on “other sellers” there are several other sources who have a copy for sale. One of them is St Elizabeth’s hospice shop in Suffolk. Maybe it would be possible to phone them and ask them to check the index to confirm it’s the copy you want?

Septimia Thu 01-Apr-21 09:15:37

I remember it and have a very tatty full music edition. It has an embossed picture on the front of 2 deer drinking.

Sara1954 Thu 01-Apr-21 09:16:16

I can’t remember the hymn book, but ‘When a Knight won his Spurs’ was always my favourite hymn at Sunday School.
I’d forgotten the ‘Daisies are our Silver’ hymn, it’s nice to be reminded.

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 11:29:01

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Ashcombe Thu 01-Apr-21 11:35:34

I have a music edition, needed occasionally for hymns that I play in church, if Mission Praise doesn’t have the tune we want. Is there any information from it that I can help you with?

25Avalon Thu 01-Apr-21 11:38:18

I think it is one of the hymn books I still have ........ somewhere. I will have to go and search.

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 11:46:15

Some of those hymns were sheer poetry! I loved “Hills of the North Rejoice”.

JackyB Thu 01-Apr-21 12:03:08

I remember it clearly, although I went on to a Catholic school when I was 9. I seem to remember that Morning has Broken was No 30.

Calendargirl Thu 01-Apr-21 12:44:19

I have the same hymn book, a relic from my grammar school. Not sure why I didn’t hand it in when I left! blush

Daisies are our Silver is number 354 though, not on the first page. It’s in Part V1, For Children.

Can’t do a picture, sorry, It’s Oxford University Press, my edition is 35th impression, published 1963.

I started grammar school in 1964.

Calendargirl Thu 01-Apr-21 12:45:58

And yes, Morning Has Broken is number 30.

When A Knight Won His Spurs is number 377.

25Avalon Thu 01-Apr-21 13:15:06

Can’t find it yet. Going to have to go in the loft next!!

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 18:11:46

I would have been using it through the 50s and up to 1961. I do so hope that WAKWHS and DAOS were not relegated from the first page, such treachery! We all learned to read at a very early age, but I don’t think hymn books were involved until about 7yoa.

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Apr-21 18:28:24

Lexigranny still got mine in the loft.
Also had thin covered pale blue hymn book to go with it, but can't remember why.
Any other GNer have one?

Can ask another question?
In the morning if we were not in assembly, we would sing Morning has broken in our classroom.
After putting the chairs on the desk at the end of day, we would sing an evening hymn.
Can anyone help with what it could have been?
As I typed 'at the end of the day's something stirred in my mind?

rockgran Thu 01-Apr-21 19:04:25

I remember being issued a hymn book at grammar school which we then had to back with wallpaper and pretty ribbon. I never really saw the front of it again.

Whingingmom Thu 01-Apr-21 19:18:10

Cherrytree59 - we used to sing a hymn at the end of the school day too. All the chairs were put on top of the desks and we would stand, hands together, eyes closed and sing
Now the day is over
Night is drawing nigh
Shadows of the evening
Steal across the sky ... and that’s all I can remember. Would be about1963 at infants school.

Ashcombe Thu 01-Apr-21 20:29:14

Cherrytree59: I found this by googling the words you recalled:-

EllanVannin Thu 01-Apr-21 20:34:08

Our hymn books were red and had the name Cary Bonner on the front. How on earth I've remembered that I don't know grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 01-Apr-21 21:51:54

Whingingmom I started school 1965 , so it is quite possible that was our evening song. I will try and see if I can hear the tune via Google/YouTube, hopefully that will jolt my memory

Ashcombe do you think that is a prayer rather than a hymn/song?,.
I'm off to Google.

Thank you both?

Ashcombe Thu 01-Apr-21 21:59:30

How about this :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskfD4q-7HY