Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

The Big Bang, Darwin and the God of the Gaps

(120 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 20:22:30

Evolution or creation? Belief or science? Was it just chance? (Clue - no, it wasn't.)

Go!

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Apr-21 20:40:44

Well here goes ........ evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive and neither are belief and science.

geekesse Fri 09-Apr-21 21:31:52

It looks as if this is intended to precipitate a punch-up between not very bright religious people and not very bright atheists. I’m not sure I can be bothered to watch.

EllanVannin Fri 09-Apr-21 21:32:42

Evolution obviously.

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 21:36:25

? (^Clue - no, it wasn't.)^

Evolution? Random rather than chance? Or just survival of the fittest?

Creation? It's a reasonable explanation, many of humankind need a religion because the alternative is too vast and incomprehensible. It is a comfort too as people wonder whether this is all there is. Why is this not enough?

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 21:37:37

Wow. Thanks for your insightful comment geekesse. Managed to insult just about everybody in one post. I was hoping to get into discussions about, I don't know, Polkinghorne. Or how Darwin's work drove a wedge between him and his devout wife.

Smileless2012 I agree. But clearly sensible conversations are not allowed, so I guess we'll leave it there.

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 21:38:46

Why should posters who wish to debate this be considered not very bright, geekesse?

Perhaps best not to bother to watch, then.

Bridgeit Fri 09-Apr-21 21:41:33

Perhaps using the word ‘Go’ to introduce the topic sounded a bit like a teacher tasking a group of children ?

Lucca Fri 09-Apr-21 21:45:07

For me evolution as I don’t “believe” in a higher being
However I’m clearly one of the not very bright as I don’t have evidence to back up that thought.

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 21:50:26

There's more evidence to support your theory than the alternative one, Lucca.

Although - who came in those fiery chariots? hmm

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 21:52:55

I once posted on here that people went to church as an insurance policy and I got shredded!

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Apr-21 21:57:07

That's a shame Alegrias, I thought this thread had potential for a good debate.

Callistemon Fri 09-Apr-21 22:01:58

who came in those fiery chariots?

Jumblygran Fri 09-Apr-21 22:11:25

There are plenty of scientists who believe in God.
I think it takes more faith to believe in evolution than God when you consider the wonderful complex world we live in.

Ro60 Sat 10-Apr-21 02:27:05

Was it just chance?

Oldwoman70 Sat 10-Apr-21 07:38:15

The universe began, scientists believe, with every speck of its energy jammed into a very tiny point. This extremely dense point exploded with unimaginable force, creating matter and propelling it outward to make the billions of galaxies of our vast universe. Astrophysicists call this the Big Bang - but who, or what, created all that energy in the first place?

Kalu Sat 10-Apr-21 07:52:17

Évolution....choosing to ignore the insult from a not very bright poster.

Loislovesstewie Sat 10-Apr-21 08:03:37

Evolution for me! I have no faith, no belief in the existence of any divine being so naturally take the side of science. BTW I understand that science/faith are not mutually exclusive for some but for me......

Galaxy Sat 10-Apr-21 08:23:21

Evolution. Always science for me.
I dont see any problem in having this debate.

Witzend Sat 10-Apr-21 08:34:16

I don’t see any anomaly in anyone who believes in God, also believing in evolution as the work of a higher being.

OTOH I can’t understand anyone of normal intelligence believing in the Bible version of creation, given that it all had to be explained somehow, at a time when nobody had any idea of how else it might have come about.

And of course Eve and the apple was such a convenient way of blaming everything bad on women! Not to mention vilifying snakes, though perhaps that was understandable.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 10-Apr-21 09:51:42

Here’s my opinion as a not very bright person.
I think there is plenty of documented evidence out there for evolution, to convince me as a humanist. However I think what and why people believe is nothing to do with evidence and intelligence, but far more complex.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 10-Apr-21 09:53:17

Sorry I meant what and why people believe in God

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 09:59:03

Are we a result of selective breeding from 'Gods' ie other beings who were far more advanced than us?

trisher Sat 10-Apr-21 10:05:14

I would have thought if you wanted real debate the scientific theories presented by Hugh Everett 111 of the many universes and mutiple selves would be more up to date than churning up evolution again. Do you believe that every time you make a choice, in another universe, another you takes the opposite path?
If you need help www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/weirdest-idea-quantum-physics-catching-there-may-be-endless-worlds-ncna1068706

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Apr-21 10:05:26

Best picture in the world. But I would think that, I'm not very bright. wink

Doesn't need supernatural beings, but doesn't stop anyone believing in them either, if they want to.