Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Trolley Problem

(23 Posts)
Caleo Thu 30-Mar-23 10:55:50

Imagine you are standing beside some tram tracks. In the distance, you spot a runaway trolley hurtling down the tracks towards five workers who cannot hear it coming. Even if they do spot it, they won’t be able to move out of the way in time.

As this disaster looms, you glance down and see a lever connected to the tracks. You realise that if you pull the lever, the tram will be diverted down a second set of tracks away from the five unsuspecting workers.

However, down this side track is one lone worker, just as oblivious as his colleagues.

So, would you pull the lever, leading to one death but saving five?

Theexwife Thu 30-Mar-23 11:41:49

Yes

Walkowl Thu 30-Mar-23 11:47:13

Yes

Elegran Thu 30-Mar-23 12:14:03

Yes, reluctantly accepting the lesser evil, if you can't possibly avoid the greater one. I would shout out at the same time in the hope that the lone worker would hear and escape. You can only do what you can do.

winterwhite Thu 30-Mar-23 12:29:35

What is this? How can it be that the 5 workers couldn't get out of the way in time yet there is time/space for the trolley to be diverted?

Grantanow Thu 30-Mar-23 12:33:27

What if the one worker is a single parent caring for a disabled child whereas the five are all partner abusers with no children?

M0nica Thu 30-Mar-23 14:15:14

Grantanow That's the point you have no time to run a full application and interview system. You have to make an instant decision.

As with others mine would be 'Yes'

And *Grantanow, as it is a railway and someone would be responsible for the accident the family of the worker who died will almost certainly be entitled to good compensation and a pension. the family could be financially beyyet off than if he had lived.

Septimia Thu 30-Mar-23 14:26:32

Pull the lever part way so that the tracks don't meet and the trolley is derailed.

Sorry!!

Elegran Thu 30-Mar-23 14:45:42

winterwhite This is a what-if to see how people would react to a hypothetical situation. The lever-halfway solution could be the best - though the derailed trolley could well crush the person pulling the lever. Also, it would need practice in stopping at the halfway point. Once a newbie started pulling hard on a stiff lever it would probably go right over before they could stop.

Caleo Fri 31-Mar-23 16:57:03

Should an individual take the responsibility of killing a few to save the lives of the many? Should the state take that responibility?

Elegran Fri 31-Mar-23 18:09:51

If there is no time to involve the state, where does the responsibility fall?

If it is not known how valuable each person is, what dependents each has, or anything about them, how can anyone choose who to save except by numbers?

If five people died when it could have been one, how guilty would the person feel who stood there and did nothing? Would they think "The state should have done something?

BlueBelle Fri 31-Mar-23 18:44:22

Shout to the people to get out the way or are they all deaf

I ve no idea what I d do to be honest there’s so many problems in the world I can’t really be thinking about hypothetical ones
Either way you ll feel guilty and traumatised with ptsd for the rest of your life

And *Grantanow, as it is a railway and someone would be responsible for the accident the family of the worker who died will almost certainly be entitled to good compensation and a pension. the family could be financially beyyet off than if he had lived that’s alright then 😳.

VioletSky Fri 31-Mar-23 18:58:08

I don't think there is a right answer but:

Do nothing and 5 die

Do something and 1 dies by your choice

So you must decide to kill 1 to save 5

Caleo Sat 01-Apr-23 19:31:16

Violet Sky, I think when it's about personal relationships it is actually best to do nothing. But when it's about a political decision it's best if the politician is utilitarian, on condition the politician has a kind heart.

VioletSky Sun 02-Apr-23 13:25:02

Interesting, I see what you mean

Grantanow Thu 02-Nov-23 17:11:47

What would Matt Hancock do?

GrandmaKT Thu 02-Nov-23 17:54:29

What is a trolley?

crazyH Thu 02-Nov-23 18:01:36

Is a trolley one of the sections you see on a ‘goods train’ ?

Shelflife Thu 02-Nov-23 18:30:05

I have quite enough ' problems ' to solve in my daily life , not enough emotional energy left for ' what ifs'

aggie Thu 02-Nov-23 18:32:06

How on earth do you resurrect these threads ?

aggie Thu 02-Nov-23 18:32:19

And why ?

MerylStreep Thu 02-Nov-23 18:38:41

aggie

How on earth do you resurrect these threads ?

Beats me. I can only assume that posters search the forums. 🤷‍♀️

BlueBelle Thu 02-Nov-23 19:01:51

When I try and search the cow says ‘it’s mooooved’