Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

HMRC scam call to my mobile. Beware!

(17 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 14-Apr-21 11:30:59

I received a scam automated call yesterday from 07452 912543.

Do NOT respond to this number. Block it if you can.

It claims irregularities that you must speak to the HMRC officer concerned by pressing one. If you don’t it then says someone will come round and arrest you immediately.

I am still waiting!

Rosalyn69 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:42:26

I’ve had this one. I ignored it. I have an accountant.

Mapleleaf Thu 15-Apr-21 14:16:30

It’s a scam. I’ve had similar. Delete the call.

PinkCosmos Wed 23-Feb-22 09:31:48

I have just had this scam from a mobile number.

It was an automated message saying that there were some discrepancies on my tax calculations and to press one.

I have paid a tax bill recently and and spoken to someone (I rang them) at HMRC. If it hadn't shown as a mobile number I probably would have pressed one....

I have reported the call to HMRC.

Here is a link to the gov.uk page to report these things

www.gov.uk/government/publications/phishing-and-bogus-emails-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples/phishing-emails-and-bogus-contact-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples

Ailidh Wed 23-Feb-22 09:36:44

I had him a lot last year, nice deep, baritone voice.

Yammy Wed 23-Feb-22 09:41:32

I had a scam yesterday on my mobile phone number it came through messages on my lap top.
They pretended to be a relation living abroad, asking me how I was coping with the pandemic and they were planning to come to see me when all travel controls were lifted.Though they never gave a name.
They gave a telephone number and asked me to contact them as their e mail was down. I have lots of relations abroad but this rang bells.When DH checked there was no matching message on my mobile. We just deleted.

Kalu Wed 23-Feb-22 10:04:34

We have had this one too and ignored it. Our accountant would have brought any discrepancy to our attention.

DH had two bank scammer calls recently. We were taken aback as to how much information they supplied about our accounts, however, when they asked to double check a certain number,DH told them to stop wasting his time with their scam call and they hung up.

We report any scam calls.

henetha Wed 23-Feb-22 10:21:41

Me too. The voice told me I was going to be arrested for non payment of taxes.

Georgesgran Wed 23-Feb-22 10:26:32

Had the HMRC one too. Makes a change from someone charging my credit card with £799 or Amazon taking a year’s Prime membership!

aggie Wed 23-Feb-22 10:30:41

I had the tax one on my mobile , I’ve never given them my number , because I can’t remember it !
The ten minutes later the exact same on my landline ?‍♀️

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 23-Feb-22 10:35:06

They’re obviously on to you aggie. I’d do a runner if I were you. Brazil used to be good for not having an extradition treaty.

aggie Wed 23-Feb-22 10:48:14

If only I could !
Lovely sunny place by the look of it ,
The doorbell rang and I jumped up with every hair standing on end ! ???

midgey Wed 23-Feb-22 11:01:51

Amazing isn’t it, you know you have done nothing wrong but still you jumped!

TerriBull Wed 23-Feb-22 11:04:46

I have several HMRC warrants out for my arrest, I'm unreliably informed, but still here!

Granmarderby10 Wed 23-Feb-22 11:10:47

Just cover your street signs up TerriBull that’ll fox ‘em?

lemsip Wed 23-Feb-22 11:24:23

I had a call on landline. a man said ' he was from police constabulary doing a survey to see what people thought of the police in my area'. I told him I would ring the police myself and hung up..........within minutes a call came on my mobile ..a reorded voice said an attempt had been made to spend £600 on my debit card.... press 1 it it was you and 2 if it wasn't... I pressed 2 and womans voice said hallo this is amazon..... I said im ringing the police and hung up.....
I went online and checked nothing had gone from my account, it hadn't........I still went into panic mode and dashed to my bank to cancel debit card and get new one.....which I apparently I didn't need to do but I felt happier....... Mind you I wasn't happy when the man in the bank told me he'd destroy my card for me........... I said I would do it at home! don't trust anybody! He bought me scissors and I cut it up in front of him!

AGAA4 Wed 23-Feb-22 13:56:10

Just had this scam call. Hung up.