Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

This is a new one on me

(11 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 16-Apr-21 12:53:02

Just had a call from a Cardiff std code. At first no one spoke but I could hear that it was some sort of call centre. Then a man came on and told me to put the phone down. Now that rang alarm bells. Why phone me only to tell me to put the phone down? So being a bolshy mare I refused. I told him that as he had phoned me, he needed to put the phone down in order to disconnect the call. I'm not sure if this is true anymore but I remember in the time of landlines if the caller didn't put the phone down then the line stayed open.

Well he demanded, shouted and complained to someone he was with that I wouldn't put down the phone. I explained again about the UK telephone system and asked if he was phoning from the UK. He said that he wasn't but he was phoning from Wales. They really should get their knowledge of UK geography sorted grin. This went on for a few minutes until finally he gave in and disconnected.

I'm sure this was a scam but I'm wondering what it was in aid of. DH suggested that if they have a line connection to your phone they may be able to hack it without you knowing because you'll assume the connection is broken when you hang up. I don't know if he's correct but it was definitely dodgy.

You'll not be surprised to hear that the scammer didn't have a Welsh accent grin

Esspee Fri 16-Apr-21 13:10:21

That’s a new one on me too vampirequeen. I’m hoping someone has an idea about it.

B9exchange Fri 16-Apr-21 13:15:20

Poor you, that is a new one on me, and I can't see what would be gained by asking you to hang up

We only have the usual scams here, but I ignore them or only pick up the phone and stay silent, and usually the line quickly goes dead.

shysal Fri 16-Apr-21 15:41:50

I have read that these scammers can ring from abroad using numbers which look like UK ones.
I lift the receiver but don't answer so they cut off the call.

Shinamae Fri 16-Apr-21 15:46:51

I pick it up I say hello.…. They say hello is that Mrs***** and I say hello, and he then again says I want to speak to Mrs***** by the time I’ve said the third hello as though I cannot hear anything the other end they usually hang up...?

infoman Fri 16-Apr-21 16:14:53

Thank you for the heads up.

kittylester Fri 16-Apr-21 16:49:23

www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/Contact#:~:text=You%20can%20report%20fraud%20by,help%20and%20advice%20about%20fraud.&text=If%20you%20wish%20to%20make,centre%20on%200300%20123%202040.

Please report this to the Action Fraud Team as above.

Callistemon Fri 16-Apr-21 17:40:44

Thank you vampirequeen and kittylester

vampirequeen Fri 16-Apr-21 21:24:11

I know they phone from abroad and the longer I can keep them messing about the more the call costs them.

Jane43 Fri 16-Apr-21 21:29:51

We had so many suspect calls that we disconnected our land line and only use our mobiles now. I have only had one suspect call on my mobile and was able to go into the call history and block the number.

welbeck Fri 16-Apr-21 22:20:57

haven't had any problems since i got a BT Call Guardian landline.
can recommend. so much easier.