Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Distraction burglary - unknown strangers at the door

(27 Posts)
biglouis Sun 01-Aug-21 14:35:18

A "distraction burglary" is when someone tricks (or tries to trick) their way into your home by pretending to be a trusted person (council/charity worker/social services) or a tradesperson from a utility company. They tend to target older and vulnerable people because they reckon we were taught to be polite and helpful to strangers and not to say "no".

Some years ago I was working at home when two men in high viz jackets called at my door claiming to be from "gas" (never said which company) and checking for a gas leak. They claimed to have visited every house in the street except mine. I was at once suspicious of them and told them they would have to make an appointment by writing to me on their letterhead. They got arsey and claimed they had the right of entry and could force their way in if necessary. I stalled for time and called the police. When I informed them the police were on their way they left very quickly.

Police subsequently attended and after enquiry confirmed that none of the gas companies had work gangs out checking for leaks. They said that it has been an attempted distraction burglary and congratulated me on my suspicious nature and quick thinking.

The officers stated that the scammers look for streets with nice houses and cars then check the electoral role for addresses with only one name. That means they know the person they are speaking to (often elderly) is alone and may try to barge their way in even if you refuse admission. The officers advised me to remove my name from the public electoral role and also not to open the door if I was suspicious. They advised using a door chain or calling out from behind the closed door.

Fortunately I had spoken to them from an upstairs window. so did not open the door. Another good tip they gave me is that if you do not want to engage with an unknown caller tell them its not convenient because you have guests. This implies there are a number of people present which will deter them if they are up to no good.

Apparently these types of offences have increased during the pandemic with people claiming to be charity workers or HNS staff doing tests or vaccinations. As usual they have targeted older people or those living alone.

I wondered if any you have had any experience of this? Or people calling at odd times trying to convince you its an emergency of some type?

Savvy Sun 01-Aug-21 14:45:07

I've had meter readers turn up unexpectedly and I tell them that I don't allow them access without an appointment. Some get really annoyed, but others are more understanding. My neighbours were targeted by bogus meter readers a few months ago, so we are on our guard.

My landlords always text ahead when I'm expecting workmen so I know when they are on their way. But my response to anyone calling is always the same, I don't see them without an appointment.

Oldbat1 Sun 01-Aug-21 14:47:23

We regularly every few months get young lads supposedly on a probation scheme (which doesn’t exist) saying they’ve been released from young offenders institution. They show a pedlars licence (not legitimate) and try to sell dusters, sink cleaners etc. Police have advised public to be very aware of such activity and to alert them. My dogs soon put door knockers off. Plus any discussion required is held through the locked double glazed glass front door.

biglouis Sun 01-Aug-21 15:09:44

A few years back a random man in work clothes knocked at my door and I sent him around to the side gate which I keep locked.

"Hello luv, Im just working at one of your neighbours. Shes got a blockage with her drains and I want to see if the problems connected. Can I come in and check your system?"

This is classic distraction burglary tactics. Im working at a neighbour/down the street, etc. Can I just check XXX. Moral blackmail and scare tactics often involving such things as gas/water pressure/leaks etc.

I refused access and told him to get his company to write in to request an appointment so I could arrange to have a male relative present. I had no problem with my drains and I considered this a reasonable response. All the advice online is that a genuine caller will not mind making a proper appointment.

Next day my NDN came whinging that I would not allow her plumber into my home. When I told her I had given him the opportunity to make a proper appointment she complained that she would have to pay for another visit. Well thats her problem!

Later she snitched to my LL (I was renting at the time). LL gave her down the banks for sending random workmen round and told her we had our own plumber whom I could call if there was a problem.

Grammaretto Sun 01-Aug-21 15:30:41

I open an upstairs window and call down without opening the front door at all.
I so hate these pests.
Years ago a gt aunt nearing 100 and an antique herself, was plagued by "such well dressed young men" who asked if she wanted to sell any old bits and pieces.
Sometimes they would ask her for a glass of water and then run off with something they saw in her lobby.

She was robbed of her deceased DH's boots from the first World War and subsequently robbed of a bronze statue of a kestrel which stood in her porch.
One of the police officers asked me what a "kestrel" was?
We were so relieved when she went to live with her daughter and we could stop worrying about her.

M0nica Sun 01-Aug-21 15:33:11

They tend to target older and vulnerable people because they reckon we were taught to be polite and helpful to strangers and not to say "no".

A classic example of ageism. I am sure a few people fill this stereotype, but I doubt if many born after 1940, ie, under 80s are still that naive and you hear far less of these kinds of crimes.

My response to the dishcloth scammers is a polite 'I am sorry but I buy nothing from doorstep salesmen'. It works well and they usually leave without protest.

Fortunately having worked in the industry, I have a very good understanding of building construction and building services, but I have yet to have a chance to use it as we have had no such callers.

The big danger to older people, and where many are still incredibly trusting and naive is in the handling of pensions and savings. Far too many are scammed out of money by signing up for get rich quick schemes that promise 10% interest a month, or to double thier money in two or three years.

MerylStreep Sun 01-Aug-21 15:56:33

biglouis
This might have been a thing some years ago. You yourself say that your tale was some years ago.
But I’m afraid your a little out of touch if you think the majority of old people are in danger of this scam: they aren’t.
They are fare more aware than you appear to be.

On the subject of your neighbours drain, why didn’t you go and ask her if she had a problem instead of just dismissing the request?

biglouis Sun 01-Aug-21 15:59:59

They tend to target older and vulnerable people because they reckon we were taught to be polite and helpful to strangers and not to say "no"

This is the kind of quote you will find on many local council and police websites so if I am guilty of ageism so are they! Don't be so precious!

Older people living alone (who may not have seen family for months) may be grateful to see a "charming and chatty" stranger as these people are often very articulate and apparently friendly. Chatting is part of their stock in trade.

GillT57 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:24:27

I hate these patronising assumptions that old people are half witted and guillible, don't know anything about computers, are afraid of everything and everyone. The current generation of pensioners are children of the 60s, not left overs from the 1930s living some kind of existence where 'in their day' everyone who knocked at your door was honest as if. These kind of crimes have been going on for years, we are more at risk of online fraud or of falling for promises of unrealistic returns on savings.

sharon103 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:50:22

Unless I'm expecting visitors or a delivery I never answer the door. I have a front bay window with voiles up so I can have a peek to see if I recognise who it is and they can't see me.
I've told certain people to shout my name through the letter box if I don't come to the door.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:59:53

MIL had a hidden doorbell for family and didn’t let anyone in unless this bell was rung.
An elderly neighbour was a victim of the distraction scam, 2 men in Thames Water Hi vis jackets came to her door, one kept her in the kitchen ‘ checking her water pressure’ and the other ransacked her bedroom. I think they often go to places with the handrails and/or ramps outside the front door. Needless to say the Police didn’t catch them.

biglouis Sun 01-Aug-21 17:16:08

Here are some up to date links which mention distraction burglary including those linked to CV-19. so clearly I am not "out of date":-

www.met.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/protect-home-crime/keep-burglars-out-property/

www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-consumer-advice-about-scams

lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/coronavirus-covid-19/covid19-related-scams-and-price-increases

www.safelocaltrades.com/consumers/advice/distraction-burglaries

However it would not be Gransnet if there were not one or two trolls attempting to derail the discussion.

annodomini Sun 01-Aug-21 17:40:41

I have a 'fish eye' in the front door as well as a chain. I have a lamp with a motion sensor above the door though I have just discovered that the bulb has died. If I see an unexpected caller, I put the chain on before I open the door. And I keep the back door locked.

annodomini Sun 01-Aug-21 17:43:03

PS I would take the same precautions even if I were less than 'elderly'!

biglouis Sun 01-Aug-21 22:28:56

These camera door bells are a wonderful invention as you can talk to callers through them. I have some little cameras I bought on Amazon and am having a couple more put up this month. My front facing camera looks right down the street and when couriers call with a parcel I am out there waiting for them. So I can now judge unexpected callers before I make a decision whether to acknowledge them or not.

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 04:29:28

thank you for the timely reminder re this crime.

M0nica Mon 02-Aug-21 07:42:32

Since when has disagreeing with someone politely on a discussion site been trolling?

Undoubtedly this kind of crime still occurs, but I think, and still think, that it is far less common than it used to be and that far more people now are scammed out of their savings by clever crooks than are caught out by doorstep callers.

I feel that confidence is the best protector. I answer the door and deal with callers on the doorstep. I do not buy anything on the doorstep, nor sign up to charities there as well and I am confident in telling them so.

I think advertising your vulnerability by vast quantities of security measures (I do not include having one chain on the door in that), or peeping round the door to speak makes one more at risk of exploitation than dealing with callers with a confident voice and mien.

Calendargirl Mon 02-Aug-21 08:23:18

I feel that confidence is the best protector

And you are obviously a confident person MOnica, which is why you don’t find it difficult with things like this. But so many aren’t. Also someone said that pensioners are the children of the 60’s. Yes, some are, but there are still many vulnerable old people living alone in their 80’s and 90’s.

These are the ones who get picked on, scammed and conned.

Grammaretto Mon 02-Aug-21 08:32:16

I agree with you M0nica
I was recently almost taken in by some online scam and only saved when I mentioned it on here. Good ol' gransnet.

I avoid heavy duty locks and cameras although when we were the victim of vandalism a few years ago (a gang of kids threw stones at our windows while we were away, and broke them) the police suggested I got a rottweiler and cameras.
I didn't and the gang was later found and admonished.

Savvy Mon 02-Aug-21 10:52:46

The reason they target the elderly isn't because they are more likely to fall for it, there is also an element of if they are discovered, they are easier to physically fight off.

A pensioner or disabled person is not usually able to fight off a couple of fit young people.

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:03:58

Crikey, where do some of you live? Fighting off 'fit young people', peering behind barricades, all suspicious of anyone who knocks at the door. I know we have to take care, but this applies to everyone, of all ages, and I still maintain that the biggest risk is online dodgy investments.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 13:11:42

This has happened to two of my elderly relatives. One wanted money for a fence that had blown down at the back. The other wanted money for a wall (I wondered if it was the same person!) but was refused money and then he asked to use the toilet and my relative let him in sad and he stole money from a tin by the door (£100s)

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:45:10

JaneJudge

This has happened to two of my elderly relatives. One wanted money for a fence that had blown down at the back. The other wanted money for a wall (I wondered if it was the same person!) but was refused money and then he asked to use the toilet and my relative let him in sad and he stole money from a tin by the door (£100s)

Oh dear, that's dreadful! I must admit that we held back from having grab handles out outside my late Mother's front door as it is a strong indicator that there is an elderly person living inside, but we had no worries about her opening the door to anyone with dodgy intentions as her hearing was so bad that she never heard the front door bell! grin. The main distraction theft around here seems to be pinching car keys off the hall table while you are distracted, for high end cars.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 13:55:51

The trouble we find with our elderly relatives is that they keep cash in the house, all over the house (they also send it through the post, which is another issue!) and it doesn't matter how many times we ask them not to, they still do it. I'm not sure if this is a working class thing or what.

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 17:16:57

it can be a granny thing.
there is a woman near here, housebound now, certainly would never consider herself working class, small business, rotarians, tory etc.
she still puts banknotes in birthday cards for her GC.
i've told her not to, and that obvious hand-written cards tend to be torn open en route, because this behaviour is so well known.
makes no difference. guess it is an independence thing.
problem is, she may never know if it reaches its destination.
given usual behaviour of youngers not acknowledging cards/gifts, she has to ask if they received it, then they say yes, thanks, but they probably take no notice and can't really remember.
she has also been caught out by rogues, had to pay them over £100 just to go away. if she had told me, i could have helped, but pride meant didnt want to admit error.