Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The Sceptics' Thread

(79 Posts)
bagitha Thu 08-Dec-11 17:43:57

If anyone wants to read this thread, it's here. If no-one wants to read it, that's fine.

Yet another physicist is speaking out against what he calls pathological science. This one's a lecturer at Oxford. I used to work in the Earth Sciences building almost next door to the Clarendon Lab. These guys are not fools with 'agendas' of their own. They are very bright sparks and they are scientists of the old school: check everything, check again, free up your data and your methods so others can check. Be open to questioning. Keep asking questions yourself. Science is never settled.

Here's his cv info: nmr.physics.ox.ac.uk/cv.html

And here's his letter to a climate alarmist:
"Richard, I can't answer for our host, but you have to remember why some of us got involved in the climate wars in the first place.

For me this has never really been about climate itself. I don't find climate partcularly interesting; it's one of those worthy but tedious branches of science which under normal circumstances I would happily leave to other people who like that sort of thing. My whole involvement has always been driven by concerns about the corruption of science.

Like many people I was dragged into this by the Hockey Stick. I was looking up some minor detail about the Medieval Warm Period and discovered this weird parallel universe of people who apparently didn't believe it had happened, and even more bizarrely appeared to believe that essentially nothing had happened in the world before the twentieth century. The Hockey Stick is an extraordinary claim which requires extraordinary evidence, so I started reading round the subject. And it soon became clear that the first extraordinary thing about the evidence for the Hockey Stick was how extraordinarily weak it was, and the second extraordinary thing was how desperate its defenders were to hide this fact. I'd always had an interest in pathological science, and it looked like I might have stumbled across a really good modern example.

You can't spend long digging around the Hockey Stick without stumbling across other areas of climate science pathology. The next one that really struck me was the famous Phil Jones quote: "Why should I make the data available to you, when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it". To any practising scientist that's a huge red flag. Sure we all feel a bit like that on occasion, but to actually say something like that in an email is practically equivalent to getting up on a public platform and saying "I'm a pathological scientist, and I'm proud."

Rather naively I initially believed that Phil Jones was just having a bad day and had said something really stupid. Surely he couldn't really think that was acceptable? And surely his colleagues would deal with him? But no, it turned out that this apalling quote was only the most quotable of several other remarks, and he really was trying to hide his data from people who might (horror of horrors) want to check his conclusions.

That's when I got involved in my FOI request. And consequently got exposed to the full horror of "big climate", as clear an example of politicised and pathological science as I have ever seen. And then came Climategate 2009, and "hide the decline". All downhill from there.

When will I be done with climate? Quite simply when it stops being a pathological science and starts acting according to the normal rules and conventions of scientific discourse. At that point I will, I'm afraid, simply lose interest in the whole business, and leave it to the experts to get on with their stuff, just as I leave most of the rest of science to the appropriate experts.

To put it another way, I will be done with climate once I can trust that Richard Betts can be left to do good work on his own. I absolutely trust you to get on with doing good stuff under normal circumstances. But I'm afraid I don't trust you to do good work under current pathological conditions, because you don't stand up against the all too obvious stench emanating from some of your colleagues.

For me the Hockey Stick was where it began, and probably where it will end (and I will daringly suggest that the same thing might be true for our host). The Hockey Stick is obviously wrong. Everybody knows it is obviously wrong. Climategate 2011 shows that even many of its most outspoken public defenders know it is obviously wrong. And yet it goes on being published and defended year after year.

Do I expect you to publicly denounce the Hockey Stick as obvious drivel? Well yes, that's what you should do. It is the job of scientists of integrity to expose pathological science, and it is especially the job of scientists in closely related fields. You should not be leaving this to random passing NMR spectroscopists who have better things to do. But I'm afraid I no longer expect you to do so. The opportune moment has, I think, passed. And that is why, even though we are all delighted to have you here, and all enjoy what you have to say, some of us get a trifle tetchy from time to time.

You ask us to judge you by AR5, and in many ways that is a reasonable request. Many of us will judge it by the handling of paleoclimate, not because this is all that important an aspect of the science, but rather because it is a litmus test of whether climate scientists are prepared to stand up against the bullying defenders of pathology in their midst. So, Richard, can I look forward to returning back to my proper work on the application of composite rotations to the performance of error-tolerant unitary transformations? Or will we all be let down again?

Dec 3, 2011. Jonathan Jones

It appears on the BishopHill science blog about three-quarters of the way down the comments:
bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2011/12/2/tim-barnett-on-the-hockey-stick.html

shysal Fri 09-Dec-11 11:06:25

Sorry bagitha, I must have the attention span of a gnat. I have had several attempts at reading your post, but my eyes glaze over and I can't be bothered to take it all in! How shallow I am! blush

grrrranny Fri 09-Dec-11 11:08:14

Oh - well I read it and had to follow your last link to find out what hockey stick was and then was amazed at how scathing and, at times, rude the people posting on that site were. However, that did not detract from the main point - or what I took to be the main point - that the data and conclusions drawn from hockey stick graph were flawed yet, that these flaws were not challenged as the work was not made openly public and that the resulting frenzy about climate change, if I understood it correctly, was a waste of money and effort. As a complete ignoramous about things scientific - have I got anywhere near the point?

absentgrana Fri 09-Dec-11 11:26:36

Phew. No punches pulled there then.

JessM Fri 09-Dec-11 12:02:52

Climate change or no climate change, what sense does it make to use up all the fossil fuels in the wasteful way that we do?
And then have to resort to things like trashing the Alaskan wilderness to keep the feeding frenzy going.
We have already tapped into the easily accessible fossil fuels. The places and geologies that remain are all more difficult to mine/drill and therefore will deliver more expensive fuels.
Energy prices are rising and are going to continue to rise for the rest of our lives, and it makes sense to be personally frugal with energy whether or not you believe in climate change.

raggygranny Fri 09-Dec-11 12:25:35

My DH has been going on about the fallacy of the Hockey Stick for a couple of years now, so it is interesting to read this post. He (DH) says belief in climate change has become a sort of pseudo-religion, with deniers being treated like heretics.
Nevertheless I agree with JessM that it is still vital to look after the finite resources of our planet!!!

Elegran Fri 09-Dec-11 12:41:12

There are clear-sighted scientists working on climate warming, and I don't believe that everyone is influenced by the "big pharma" syndrome into reaching predetermined conclusions, but there seems to be conflicting evidence appearing. My own bias is toward hoping for the best while being prepared for the worst. The more data is accumulated, the better the diagnosis and prognosis, so perhaps it will become clearer.

Regardless of the effect on climate change, there is no ignoring the fact that we are being wasteful with resources, and even if we in West cut down our dependence on cheap power, there are developing nations who have not had "their turn".

Earth would continue to exist whatever we did, and would eventually recover, but if we were to succeed in wrecking the climate, a lot of species could become extinct - including man.

If the human race were to be wiped out and we had to start again with a new Adam and Eve, their descendants would presumably follow the same path as our ancestors and discover how to use fire and stone tools, but when they needed more fuel to start smelting iron and then to go on to make more complicated machines and gadgets (like computers) they would be stymied.

The easily obtained fossil fuel is mostly used up, and the really difficult deposits need the technology that can only be developed once they have the medium difficulty deposits - which are getting used up too.

So we only have this one chance at this kind of civilisation. We must be careful not to blow it.

Mishap Fri 09-Dec-11 13:08:39

I am neither a sceptic nor a believer - isn't it interesting this evangelical language!
I am not a scientist, so my ability to comment on this is very limited - and I am sure that goes for many of us. We are in the hands of the scientists and are not in a position to prove or disprove what they say. We cannot all be experts in everything.
I am also slightly concerned by the "original sin" (to continue the religious analogy) of all of this. The assumption is that we have all done something wrong and are to "blame" for climate change.
We have no idea what the plan for the world is/was - or indeed whether there was/is one - it may be that this is just another evolutionary happening and has no good/bad connotations.
Since the world began species have come and gone - it seems to be the way of it - and the change in climate will have profound effects on some species (including us) just as other natural phenomena have had that effect in the past.
I share the desire to husband scarce resources and to support the advance of science to widen our fuel base, but I do not want to enter into a guilt trip every time I switch on a light. I fear that any care we might take as individuals is so miniscule in comparison to the use of resources by America, India etc. - as soemone has said, the developing nations want their turn, and who can blame them.
I am slightly on the fence on this issue as you can see - I am sure that I am not alone. But being born into the "waste not, want not" generation I am unable to stop myself being careful with resources, and I am sure this is a good principle.

bagitha Fri 09-Dec-11 13:28:20

Title of paper by a geologist: "Influential people are getting the message". Note that her published article was censored.

joannenova.com.au/2011/12/influential-people-are-getting-the-message-gina-rinehart-explains-the-science-of-climate-change/

bagitha Sat 10-Dec-11 08:57:48

I find it has a lovely balancing effect on my thoughts when I know both extremes of a political or philosophical position. We get one side in the media all the time.
Below is Christopher Monckton's précis of the document that is supposed to come out of Durban. This is what the media won't tell you, he says.

"The contents of this document, turgidly drafted with all the UN’s skill at what the former head of its documentation center used to call “transparent impenetrability”, are not just off the wall – they are lunatic.

Main points:

Ø A new International Climate Court will have the power to compel Western nations to pay ever-larger sums to third-world countries in the name of making reparation for supposed “climate debt”. The Court will have no power over third-world countries. Here and throughout the draft, the West is the sole target. “The process” is now irredeemably anti-Western.
Ø “Rights of Mother Earth”: The draft, which seems to have been written by feeble-minded green activists and environmental extremists, talks of “The recognition and defence of the rights of Mother Earth to ensure harmony between humanity and nature”. Also, “there will be no commodification [whatever that may be: it is not in the dictionary and does not deserve to be] of the functions of nature, therefore no carbon market will be developed with that purpose”.
Ø “Right to survive”: The draft childishly asserts that “The rights of some Parties to survive are threatened by the adverse impacts of climate change, including sea level rise.” At 2 inches per century, according to eight years’ data from the Envisat satellite? Oh, come off it! The Jason 2 satellite, the new kid on the block, shows that sea-level has actually dropped over the past three years.

Ø War and the maintenance of defence forces and equipment are to cease – just like that – because they contribute to climate change. There are other reasons why war ought to cease, but the draft does not mention them.
Ø A new global temperature target will aim, Canute-like, to limit “global warming” to as little as 1 C° above pre-industrial levels. Since temperature is already 3 C° above those levels, what is in effect being proposed is a 2 C° cut in today’s temperatures. This would take us halfway back towards the last Ice Age, and would kill hundreds of millions. Colder is far more dangerous than warmer.
Ø The new CO2 emissions target, for Western countries only, will be a reduction of up to 50% in emissions over the next eight years and of “more than 100%” [these words actually appear in the text] by 2050. So, no motor cars, no coal-fired or gas-fired power stations, no aircraft, no trains. Back to the Stone Age, but without even the right to light a carbon-emitting fire in your caves. Windmills, solar panels and other “renewables” are the only alternatives suggested in the draft. There is no mention of the immediate and rapid expansion of nuclear power worldwide to prevent near-total economic destruction.
Ø The new CO2 concentration target could be as low as 300 ppmv CO2 equivalent (i.e., including all other greenhouse gases as well as CO2 itself). That is a cut of almost half compared with the 560 ppmv CO2 equivalent today. It implies just 210 ppmv of CO2 itself, with 90 ppmv CO2 equivalent from other greenhouse gases. But at 210 ppmv, plants and trees begin to die. CO2 is plant food. They need a lot more of it than 210 ppmv.
Ø The peak-greenhouse-gas target year – for the West only – will be this year. We will be obliged to cut our emissions from now on, regardless of the effect on our economies (and the lack of effect on the climate).
Ø The West will pay for everything, because of its “historical responsibility” for causing “global warming”. Third-world countries will not be obliged to pay anything. But it is the UN, not the third-world countries, that will get the money from the West, taking nearly all of it for itself as usual. There is no provision anywhere in the draft for the UN to publish accounts of how it has spent the $100 billion a year the draft demands that the West should stump up from now on."

Butternut Sat 10-Dec-11 10:01:00

I am enjoying becoming more informed around this whole issue, and having my lazy grey matter nudged.

petallus Thu 12-Jan-12 17:19:27

I can't face reading all the literature so somebody Bagitha? please put me out of my misery with a summary. Am I to understand that there is a growing body of scientists who are challenging the accepted wisdom on climate change? If so, I am very pleased. I've always had my doubts.

JessM Thu 12-Jan-12 17:41:18

I don't think the body of scientists is growing. The BBC and other media are supposed to be "balanced" so they end up giving air time to extreme minorities. Once you know this is happening you can spot it. e.g. ASH / Hockney - pro smoking will get a mention for no good reason other than "balance".
How could it be possible that we could suck up all those hydrocarbons out of the ground over the last 100 years, burn them and release their carbon back into the atmosphere and not start to cause a major upheaval to the environment?
I think scientists argue about the timescale. None of them, if backed into a corner by a stroppy grandmother would deny that if all the oil, gas and coal carbon is released back into the atmosphere it will inevitably be a much warmer planet. Like it was last time all this carbon was free - when there were warm jungles at the south pole.
And scientists argue. That is what they do.

jeni Thu 12-Jan-12 17:43:30

petallus I agree. I've just got home, tried to read all this intelligently, failed and decided I'm a dimwitted failure. Or is old bag puss trying to do a jungl on us and trying to get our poor old feeble brains knotted?confused

bagitha Thu 12-Jan-12 17:54:47

petallus and jeni, various papers are coming out all the time which bring into question the so-called "settled" science of climate change. Basic tenets, such as how greenhouse gases act in the atmosphere, are not being questioned, though we don't know the half of it yet, but the politicking of the "warmistas" is being noticed and questioned. See, for a good summary of that, Donna Laframboise's book The Delinquent Teenager about the notsogood practices of the IPCC. Various sceptical blogs are also very interesting. You don't have to understand all of it (I certainly don't) to see that all is not hunkydory in the climate science world. That's my only reason for flagging these things up.

For good science blogs which question, question, question (isn't that what science is about?), try WattsUpWithThat (over 100million hits so it's quite popular) and JoNova in Australia, to name but two.

jeni Thu 12-Jan-12 18:08:43

Let's face it folks nobody knows, but we should sheppherd our resources and turn to " green energy" but the trouble of ge is the amount of resources used to generate and distribute it. Why don't they build the Severn barrage? The French one works well.
Cor luv a duc, my brain is definitely overheating! Perhaps we utilise some of the hot air I'm generating to generate power. I've lost the plot. Must have worked too hard today. Oh well tomorrow Fridaygrin I don't work Fridays. [joyous emoticon]

JessM Thu 12-Jan-12 18:59:34

There are people that question evolution, there are people that question whether vaccines work and there are even folks out there that question the germ theory of disease. There is a difference between informed debate and campaigning.
I think that backing out of the severn barrage was a pity. I'm sure they could have played around to provide feeding grounds for birds.
I will put a freudian slip story here, just for your scientifically minded ones.
My DH was in a meeting once about Cardiff Bay. One of the city councillors asked whether the water would be contaminated with Chlamydia. (he meant Cryptosporidium, at least that was what they assumed) Much muffled giggling by scientists.

jeni Thu 12-Jan-12 19:47:55

Oops!

Cyril Thu 12-Jan-12 20:55:14

I lost all trust in this extremely agressive campaign of protecting the world against Climate Warming when the evidence was the opposite of the claims and the name was changed (oops! amended) to Climate Change. Far too much is being hidden. On a day to day level 'most people' will judge the secrecy we have seen as being someone wishing to hide something and being 'most people' will question why. My own view is that we are being very carefully shielded from any information that will allow us to make an informed decision. The majority are not aware that all of the costs, including high energy costs for today's users are being charged to the developed world, seen as The West, while the rest of the world's nations are given free reign to pollute our world as much as they see fit.

This does not take away from the fact that the world's resources are finite. Those of us in the world at present are thinking of the future of the planet and how what we do today could affect future generations.

Those who favour wind power have recently seen it is not nearly as cost effective as was claimed. Those who favour solar power know that the sun is not reliable. I know water power can generate electricity on a small scale but have not seen anything like the promotion of it as we have seen for wind and solar power which are both at best unreliable and certainly not cheap. They, whoever they may be, have yet to come up with a system that does what is needed without users paying extra after having heard all the hype about renewable, cheaper energy. Wouldn't it be good if we could channel some of the billions being spent on investigating climate change into producing the cheap energy we have been promised since the sixties?

I have no answers, only questions.

jeni Thu 12-Jan-12 21:01:05

Cyril good thinking! My feelings exactly!

Annobel Thu 12-Jan-12 21:09:05

cyril, the sun may not be reliable in Britain but there are many parts of the world were it would be cost effective: although the initial investment would be high, the power produced thereafter would be cheap and inexhaustible. It puzzled me, for example, that Iran claimed that it wanted nuclear investment for peaceful purposes - this in a country that could afford to invest in its plentiful solar energy. Peaceful purposes, my a..e.

Cyril Thu 12-Jan-12 21:32:47

I agree Annobel. It is also a very clear indication of their opinion of Global Warming and/or Climate Change.

Annobel Thu 12-Jan-12 21:50:38

Don't quite get your reasoning there, Cyril.

Cyril Thu 12-Jan-12 21:54:50

My reasoning Annobel is that their priority, so they say, is to have nuclear power in preference to solar power. It only adds to your comment on peaceful purposes.

bagitha Fri 13-Jan-12 06:41:21

Well said, cyril. I also have only questions. I'm not convinced about anything to do with climate change yet, except that it happens, always has, and always will.

Re the Severn Barrage: I thought that idea was scuppered because of the damage it would have done to the environment. If I remember correctly, environmental groups such as the RSPB and the Wildlife and Wetlands Trust were among the most vociferous against it.