Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

This has got to be one of the stupidest headlines ever!

(28 Posts)
Bags Sat 29-Sep-12 11:35:40

"Now climate experts warn that every house in the country is at risk of flooding"

In the Independent (independent of what, one wonders?)

The alarmists are really getting desperate.

DH said: "It'd be interesting to see us flooding. That'd mean, what, an eighty-foot depth or so of water not flowing into the sea but staying on a steep slope." Yeah, that'd work.

Good grief. And people listen to this crap!

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 11:48:33

I'm about 500ft above the Bristol Channel at the highest tide on top of the hill?

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 11:57:14

Perhaps dryness of soil from possible prolonged droughts? Might make ground too hard for excessive rains to drain away?

Bags Sat 29-Sep-12 12:04:47

That might be (probably is) a problem in some places, jings, but (a) it's not a new problem, and (b) it will not affect "every house in the country". The "experts" who wrote that bullshit are idiots of the first order.

Anyway, I thought The South had had a wet summer? Wouldn't one expect the ground to be wet after that?

It's just alarmist nonsense. The Indy should be ashamed to publish such rubbish.

baublesbanglesandb Sat 29-Sep-12 12:05:03

A prolonged drought in these parts is about five days wink

Bags Sat 29-Sep-12 12:06:07

baubles grin. Ditto here.

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:08:02

There was one helluva drought last Winter. (I think that's why we got all the rain during the summer. [unscientific alert])

Bags Sat 29-Sep-12 12:11:48

Funny, we didn't notice that drought oop north either.

gracesmum Sat 29-Sep-12 12:12:35

If you leave your bath running your house could flood. [ironic] emoticon

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:22:26

It's the drainage and sewer systems that could be overwhelmed by torrential rain

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:23:37

That does happen round here. (South)

Perhaps he didn't mean Scotland. Seems to stop at Newcastle. (Where's Morpeth? confused)

annodomini Sat 29-Sep-12 12:24:18

I doubt if sea levels will ever reach East Cheshire! I have a brook running along the end of the garden, but there is a considerable slope between the house and the brook. Even the shed, which is only a few feet from it, has never been flooded in the twelve years I've been here.
Two of my grandsons managed to flood the bathroom and bring down the hall ceiling when they decided it was a good idea to play in the bath one afternoon. But I don't think the scientists making these predictions had met those two little horrors.grin

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 12:25:06

They should stop building n flood plains.

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 12:42:38

Jing. Do you mean Ankh Morpeth?

Lilygran Sat 29-Sep-12 12:42:54

I've always thought we were flood-proof being half way up a very steep hill about 2 miles from the river valley. But the street drains and gulleys are cleaned out about once a year and the heavy rain we've had over the last few weeks have caused me some concern. What came down the hill this week looked like a river. We have toadstools and moss where we used to have a lawn. When the ground round here becomes a real bog, which won't be long if this kind of weather goes on, I can't see where the water is going to go. Roads in this area were washed away last year and this year, walls were undermined and trees fell. Makes me wonder........

JessM Sat 29-Sep-12 12:48:50

I think lilygran this highlights the fact that although the headline is a little alarmist, living on a hill, unless right on the summit, brings its own flooding risks and that the environment agency are not talking rubbish. Nothing wrong with the article itself.
There are many stupider headlines in tabloids on a daily basis.

absentgrana Sat 29-Sep-12 12:52:27

jings Morpeth is in Northumberland, a bit north of Newcastle.

This is probably a London-centric viewpoint. Huge numbers of large houses have been divided into flats, each one with a bathroom, kitchen, washing machine, dishwasher and so on. London's sewers were never designed to cope with this and are also very old. In addition, street drains don't seem to be cleaned and unblocked very often. Consequently when it rains very heavily, the water doesn't run away fast enough and basement and ground floor flats are quite often flooded.

I haven't read the article but I don't suppose climate experts really said any such thing. If they did, they are probably not experts.

Bags Sat 29-Sep-12 13:04:54

Yes, being on a slope does bring its own risks of flooding, especially in a wet climate such as western Scotland has, but good building and drainage design make a big difference to how well water is coped with. lily, my house is surrounded by boggy ground a great deal of the time (most of the time actually). We always have various fungi and moss growing in the lawn. Roads flood, drives and farm tracks get washed downhill, and trees fall in the nearby vicinity every year, and always have. People round here just get on with it.

Oh, and houses don't flood unless there is a stream culvert blockage or something unusual like that. Nothing to do with climate, just bad maintenance. Even that is surprisingly rare.

Oh well, jess, if the Indy wants to stoop to the same level as the tabloids! confused hmm

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 13:07:38

It's not rare round here. Definitely don't clean out the ditches enough. hmm

Can't say it's the finance thing. It's been like it for years. hmm

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 13:08:09

You expect damp and cold in Scotland.

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 13:08:25

(Ducks)

annodomini Sat 29-Sep-12 13:25:15

J04, have you ever been to Scotland? Parts of it have had a far better summer than we who live in the south have had this year.

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 13:29:33

Yes I have been to Scotland. smile

I remember the midges round the Kyle of Lochalsh area. (Although Skye was beautiful, even in the mist)

On another occasion DH was sicked on by a small girl on her father's shoulders in Oban. Weather was nice that time though. smile

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 13:30:21

I know the sick could have happened anywhere!

JessM Sat 29-Sep-12 13:51:45

Cuts in public spending on things like drains, increased number of hard surfaces in urban environments (tarmacing front garden) - these are some of the other issues that contribute to flooding risk.
I don't think Inde is sinking to the level of the tabloids. I think the tabloids are a lot worse, as I posted above.
There is nothing unreasonable about the article itself.